Still here.

#151LigersRulePosted 6/27/2014 2:09:28 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
Will Splatoon be more or less fun/enduring than Conduit?

Much, much more. I can see Splatoon becoming a long-lasting IP spanning several generations. With Nintendo being able to throw their massive weight behind it, it can go far.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#152CynralKynathelPosted 6/27/2014 3:54:40 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...
_Signal posted...
The big problem with the TCon maps were all of the people that were not in them.

Yes, low player population was a huge problem.

I agree about the old school arena feel. I really wanted TCon 2, not Conduit 2.

I interpreted Sigs post more as "the glitchers outside the map, killing you with no problem." But I guess that makes sense too.
---
Pseudo-official Co-'Pun'-isher of the Conduit 2 Board. I have veteran SCARs. Heheheh.
#153_SignalPosted 6/27/2014 5:18:57 PM
Yeah, the population only seemed low because most of the players were up in the ceiling.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#154SupahShnipaPosted 6/27/2014 11:26:23 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...

Splatoon looks to have some interesting mechanics, could turn out to be great. Shooter's as a whole have been stale for quite a while so I'm looking forward to it.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForlornSnow
NNID - Forlorn
#155SoIdierw_AMpkU5Posted 6/28/2014 9:13:33 PM
Still here.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SoldierwithAMpkU5
http://i.imgur.com/VR5Vg9X.jpg
#156VintageRonJohnPosted 6/29/2014 5:11:59 PM
LigersRule posted...
VintageRonJohn posted...

Much, much more. I can see Splatoon becoming a long-lasting IP spanning several generations. With Nintendo being able to throw their massive weight behind it, it can go far.

You're optimistic, and I hope you're right.

What worries me is that the typical shooter fan won't buy a console to play it. For instance, I told my buddy to check it out and this is exactly what he said:

"Watched a couple trailers, looks like it could be fun ... I meaaaaaan it would be better on a real console. ... I have a ps4, why would I want that toy?"

The best-selling shooter on the Wii? It's not TCon or Red Steel or GoldenEye or even Modern Warfare: Reflex.

It was Call of Duty 3 (I'm excluding Link's Crossbow Training).

It came out before dipsticks, including yours truly, recognized that the Wii didn't do much online and lacked many of the features we've come to expect from AAA shooters.

I think Splatoon has a chance to cobble together an audience from people like us and Nintendo enthusiasts who find the Inklings adorable and are willing to try a new genre. In the long term though, I'm not sure that audience will be able to justify a massive ongoing investment in the IP.
---
Conduit 2: RonJohn 3868-8419-8160 [D-S]Jolt 4986-1435-0700
The Conduit: RonJohn 3309-2472-4741
#157LigersRulePosted 6/29/2014 5:20:11 PM
VintageRonJohn posted...

I dunno. I think there are quite a bit of reasons to be optimistic. Nintendo had an amazing E3. Most open-minded gamers out there would agree. And Nintendo has a lot of good things being said about them. Great press. If that keeps up, I can see Splatoon developing a large fanbase.

Also, Splatoon isn't the only hope of drawing a more mature audience. You should show your friend Devil's Third and Bayonetta 2 (which comes with Bayonetta 1 free on disk). The people who still think the Wii U is a toy are either out of the loop or just biased.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#158old_man_mossy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 5:25:52 PM
I'm hoping it brings in new FPS fans, by the family load.

Maybe one day it will enjoy the popularity of that one racer everyone seems to play, as well as the fighter Nin fans so dig. Those games have established franchise characters though. New IP's tend to struggle. w101's attach rate isn't exactly super.

Gonna have to wait & see I guess. I do agree with you that I doubt it will be a system seller, not at first anyway.

There's already some complaints on miiverse in the circles I run in over it not having mic support 100% confirmed. Maybe it will get pushed into the developers scope of attention though.

Make sure you invite your buddy over for local coop and let him use the tablet!
---
A big part of me tries very hard to behave. A small part of me laughs at the effort and behaves like an ass, anyway.
#159LigersRulePosted 6/29/2014 7:41:35 PM
old_man_mossy posted...
w101

...Isn't a Nintendo game. It's published by Nintendo, but it's made by Platinum. Basically a modern day equivalent of Banjo Kazooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day. If you want an example that more closely reflects Splatoon, look at Pikmin. Which developed a cult fanbase with their first two games, and was the only real system-mover for the Wii U for quite a while.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#160old_man_mossy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 9:00:13 PM
I know full well Nintendo didn't make W101...I've been told this and have repeated it countless times on miiverse allready. I didn't claim Nin did make it. What I said was that for the most part, new IP's tend to struggle on the wii u.

Pikman is not a new IP, I would say a better example would be Nintendo land but it was a packaged deal and launch title, thus artificially high attach rates. Pikman goes back two generations or so of hardware before the U so there is name recognition there & some people have grown up on it.

It's hard to find a good example to compare Splatoon too, being developed by Nin. I'm glad to see them publishing...I dunno...2nd party stuff like w101. 101 didn't have name recognition though like the Bayonetta franchise or the deluxe edition of the newest Ninja Gaiden, (also published on the U by Nin)

Splatoon is unique in the fact that it's developed by Nin, but most new IPs are hurting now, for one reason or another. Even ZombieU which sold over half a million copies was looked on as a bit of disappointment by Ubi ( not that I agree there) I hope the new games both 1st and "2nd" party have sales that take off.

I know from Monoliths game, to hyrule warriors, to Brawl, Splatoon, DX, and the new Zelda...people on miiverse are pretty excited. I just hope sales match the perceived buzz & hype.
---
A big part of me tries very hard to behave. A small part of me laughs at the effort and behaves like an ass, anyway.