What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#1_SignalPosted 6/25/2014 9:12:18 PM
So I was thinking about this and decided to look around the web a bit:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?27813-What-is-it-that-classifies-a-game-as-an-quot-Arena-Shooter-quot

And that led me to:
http://oxcgn.com/2012/04/29/is-the-arena-shooter-dead/

It turns out that this all points at TCon versus C2. The writer of the second article wouldn't classify C2 as an arena shooter.

Thoughts?
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#2PancakeLolPosted 6/25/2014 10:29:52 PM
Think not what if
For to do as though you are questioning reason
A thing such as treason to hammer thoughts
We come forth to succeed but if not inferior
How do you become superior?
Think about The Conduit as to be such a terrible game
For Conduit 2 is much better
The Conduit is a mere memory that has made people wetter
Shall Tcon rise to its glory or shall you accept that Con2 was more of an improvement?
Learn to grasp Con2 as the turtle and Tcon to be a rabbit
Sure the rabbit has more support
But the turtle holds a lot more sport
As to which game you may play
Think about all the memories that have been engraved
---
http://youtu.be/rNwjbRh5j4g
#3F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/26/2014 6:30:46 AM
Arena shooters - good shooters

Conduit 2 - not an arena shooter
#4PUNCHOUT1116Posted 6/26/2014 10:25:57 AM
I know my opinion wasn't a popular one, but man I really wanted TCon2.

I wanted all of the glitches fixed, a patch system, all the old maps (as kind of a way to apologize for TCon becoming unplayable) combined with new ones, ammo caches removed, and MAYBE the regenerating health system and an improved voting system.

Basically a fixed version of the first game that no one really got to properly enjoy combined with some new stuff.

But no, in an attempt to chase the modern shooter dragon, HVS decided to make C2 instead. Some of it worked. Some of it worked really well actually. Some of it also brought about new failures with all new problems.

At the very least, they couldve given us an old school mode in C2.

I just wanted the proper game I never got to enjoy, I never asked for "Conduit 2: Ford Jumps the Shark edition", even if I did enjoy aspects of it...
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#5CmoIsDaNam3Posted 6/26/2014 10:32:18 AM
Honestly, I don't really like arena shooters if that is what they are classified as, because I like to spawn, keep, and get better with the weapon of my choice, not have to go out of my way and fight for that said weapon, and I know many others feel the same too, just look at the numbers of people playing CoD vs other games, there is your proof.

Also, the writer makes it seem that playing CoD is stupid due to the way it plays, like he makes it seem its all about getting your max weapon, and camping it out, but in all honesty, as an active CoD player, that is the opposite, the better and best players know how to navigate the map well, they know the entire map well and the spawns from where players will come from so they can be ready to fight them and win that gun fight, just look at the people doing MLG, look at the people getting the high scores on YouTube, and the snipers, they all do this.

Also, that genre of FPS is lowering because it doesn't appeal to the masses, and imho, they need to do what CoD does and appeal to those who like to spawn in with the weapon of choice because they there are more people who prefer it over the old style like Halo or GoW.

Just my two cents, I might make this into a commentary, because this is a interesting topic.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#6CmoIsDaNam3Posted 6/26/2014 10:37:08 AM(edited)
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
I know my opinion wasn't a popular one, but man I really wanted TCon2.

I wanted all of the glitches fixed, a patch system, all the old maps (as kind of a way to apologize for TCon becoming unplayable) combined with new ones, ammo caches removed, and MAYBE the regenerating health system and an improved voting system.

Basically a fixed version of the first game that no one really got to properly enjoy combined with some new stuff.

But no, in an attempt to chase the modern shooter dragon, HVS decided to make C2 instead. Some of it worked. Some of it worked really well actually. Some of it also brought about new failures with all new problems.

At the very least, they couldve given us an old school mode in C2.

I just wanted the proper game I never got to enjoy, I never asked for "Conduit 2: Ford Jumps the Shark edition", even if I did enjoy aspects of it...

Yeah, nobody did, but honesty, I'm glad they went with what they did, it made for me at least, a very enjoyable game.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#7F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/26/2014 11:31:47 AM
Cmo Translator, v1.0: "IDK man, s***. I'm really not good and I'm too lazy to learn weapon spawn time and stuffs, I think just knowing how to walk around a map is skillz enough".

The reality is that pandering to the Seamoes of the world is what f***ed competitive FPS games to begin with. The idea that you even have to "learn" guns in CoD is laughable. In CoD, guns are lasers with no recoil and copious aim assist for cripples like Cmo that can't play a game without crutches and slow-as-molasses sensitivity. The reason CoD is popular is because most people suck, most people are lazy, and most people want to progress in-game no matter how little it means. Yeah, the masses like it, but it's not an indication of what actually matters. They're not entitled to an opinion because they suck. Would you expect Einstein to care if a kid who just started reading his physics text said he disagreed with relativity? S***, no. It's the same reason why skilled players should ignore casuals.

History has shown time and time again that allowing all and sundry into something inevitably f***s it up. When Roman military ranks began to have an influx of Germanic soldiers, they ended up overrun. That's what's happening to video games. Increased accessibility always leads to a decline.

If games are going to become great again (they won't BTW, courtesy of Cmofo and his ilk) they need to actually be difficult to do well in again and put players on an even footing to start off, then let skill take the wheel. If you're losing, you don't need a crutch to put you back in the lead, you need to stop being so pathetically scrubby.

That's pretty much why the Armageddon of competitive FPS has arrived. I mainly play fighting games now, which is essentially the last genre where casuals are adequately mocked for their opinions, and even there they're making headway. I'm just going to keep playing games like KOFXIII and Third Strike that any Cmo can't wander into and win, until that era's going to be over soon, too. I'll enjoy the carnival while I can, because casuals are gonna come knocking at that door next.
#8PancakeLolPosted 6/26/2014 12:57:14 PM
F4LCONSW4G, it seems as though you pour soul into your work. Great read as always, id love to see more of it.
---
http://youtu.be/rNwjbRh5j4g
#9DerppopotamusPosted 6/26/2014 1:28:43 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18hz96rwl1oyzjpg/original.jpg

It has become apparent to me that the poor citizens of this forum will never be able to grasp the true glory of the PC master race.

But, I will try my best to lead thee to righteousness

http://i.imgur.com/RwVXK.jpg.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
#10CmoIsDaNam3Posted 6/26/2014 1:31:20 PM
Well, considering Falcon stance on CoD, I'm gonna take his words (Words which I usually don't care much for) with a grain of salt.

I will say however, CoD has many different levels of skill, you do have the casuals, and he makes good points, but when we honestly look at CoD, especially BO2 and many other Call of Dutys, I really don't see that being the case when you have players with above 1.5 K/Ds, above a 400 SPM, and win/loss sky high, and this is most players I see in game mind you.

Skill is very present in CoD, just look at MLG, like it, love it, or hate it, you can't say those players are not skilled and could beat most plays 90% of the time.

To his comment more on the casual, there is nothing wrong with catering to them, just need to find the right balance, which I do believe that CoD does it right honestly.

Also, I don't like arena because of personal preference, not because I couldn't play them, my first two shooters were Metroid Prime Hunters and TCon, both being arena shooters, I just experienced something I believe to be better than such, and something I enjoy more: non-arena shooters, like CoD and C2, and looking at the numbers of people playing vs arena shooters, I'd say that they are better and much more popular.

Just my two cents which may be worth a million dollars, take it for what its worth. :)
---
Cmo More Often.