What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#11LigersRulePosted 6/26/2014 1:50:22 PM
I'm in agreement of Falcon and Punch. TCon was such a fun game, and TCon 2 would have been incredible. The gameplay and story were both so great, despite it's (admittedly many) flaws. But HVS decided instead to chase after the "modern shooter" genre, and turned C2 into a generic sci-fi shooter with terrible humor. What's the point? Loadouts and perks were so far off what TCon fans wanted, which is why it's rather rare to see people who were fans of both.

At least PC has the new UT coming soon, and free. Those are the shooters I grew up with, and it's going to be nice to play a nice, high-quality Arena shooter again. But console owners seem to be sore out of luck now.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#12PUNCHOUT1116Posted 6/26/2014 2:07:52 PM
LigersRule posted...
I'm in agreement of Falcon and Punch. TCon was such a fun game, and TCon 2 would have been incredible. The gameplay and story were both so great, despite it's (admittedly many) flaws. But HVS decided instead to chase after the "modern shooter" genre, and turned C2 into a generic sci-fi shooter with terrible humor. What's the point? Loadouts and perks were so far off what TCon fans wanted, which is why it's rather rare to see people who were fans of both.

Agreed, and honestly, would it have killed them to throw in an old school mode? Yknow, basically give TCon players the game they never really got to enjoy due to the hacks and glitches?

I couldve easily seen myself regularly switching between both modes, and that inclusion alone wouldve probably kept me (as well as the entire TCon fanbase) playing alot longer than I actually did.

I think the worst part now is knowing that the series is pretty much dead, nixing any hopes of that wish being granted (believe me, when HVSBob told me they had "something to announce soon, stay tuned", I wasn't exactly jumping for joy when I found out the "next" Conduit game was a mobile game with no multiplayer).

Heres hoping something that fits a similar mold comes along, as that's pretty much the only thing Conduit fans in general now have going for them :/
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#13F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/26/2014 2:14:00 PM
Well Cmo, I have to thank you. Though I disagree with you, you actually read my post instead of just blindfolding yourself with the ignore button, so props to you.

But as I said before, popular does not equal better. The masses aren't good at the game, they're not an authority, and what they think really carries no weight.
#14DerppopotamusPosted 6/26/2014 3:26:45 PM
F4LCONSW4G posted...
The reason CoD is popular is because most people suck, most people are lazy, and most people want to progress in-game no matter how little it means.

I don't think you realize the most played game on our planet is DOTA 2.
I can agree with you on the rest, tho. Games like Call of Duty bribe the players with unlocks to keep them playing. While a decent game can keep you playing with just its gameplay. See Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Quake 3 or Street Fighter for a good example.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
#15LigersRulePosted 6/26/2014 3:40:53 PM
Derppopotamus posted...

To be fair, DotA is HUGE in China. So is LoL. They're still insanely popular everywhere else, but among Western Gamers (who we mostly associate with), the game isn't quite as big as figures would have us believe.

That being said, it might be true that DotA is still bigger than CoD. I mean, there are 330,000+ people in game RIGHT NOW. Not sure if that's just western audiences, or if it includes Easterners as well.

(And if nobody got Derps's point about this, DotA is really difficult to learn, EXTREMELY difficult to master, and requires a lot of focus even for high-end players to keep up. Definitely not a game for people who "suck")
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#16CmoIsDaNam3Posted 6/26/2014 3:55:17 PM
LigersRule posted...
Derppopotamus posted...

To be fair, DotA is HUGE in China. So is LoL. They're still insanely popular everywhere else, but among Western Gamers (who we mostly associate with), the game isn't quite as big as figures would have us believe.

That being said, it might be true that DotA is still bigger than CoD. I mean, there are 330,000+ people in game RIGHT NOW. Not sure if that's just western audiences, or if it includes Easterners as well.

330,000+ players for one game? Or is like multiple games, because if it just one game, CoD might be the same numbers or slightly higher if you combine all the CoDs together.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#17DerppopotamusPosted 6/26/2014 4:33:26 PM(edited)
CmoIsDaNam3 posted...
LigersRule posted...
Derppopotamus posted...

330,000+ players for one game? Or is like multiple games, because if it just one game, CoD might be the same numbers or slightly higher if you combine all the CoDs together.

Here's the PC stats for both games

Dota 2: http://steamcharts.com/app/570

CoD: Ghosts: http://steamcharts.com/app/209160

MW3: http://steamcharts.com/app/42690

BO2: http://steamcharts.com/app/202970

PC stats are slightly different than console stats, because on PC we have so many better games to play. Not even clowning.

Though if you're wondering, I think Ghosts had 300,000 at launch. Which was probably it's Peak since Call of Duty games don't have much staying power. Dota 2 has a peak of around 800,000 a day.
---
#18PUNCHOUT1116Posted 6/26/2014 5:52:00 PM
What's a dota?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#19DerppopotamusPosted 6/26/2014 6:29:10 PM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
What's a dota?

Some RTS kind of game that Asian people love. I say RTS, but you only control one unit.
---
#20LigersRulePosted 6/26/2014 7:38:39 PM
Derppopotamus posted...
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
What's a dota?

Some RTS kind of game that Asian people love. I say RTS, but you only control one unit.

I know you know this, but I'm replying anyway for people that honestly don't know, of which there are a lot.

DotA is considered to be the origin of a new kind of game, called MOBA, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.

"But Lig" you say, "Aren't almost all games online Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas? Isn't Conduit 2 a MOBA?".

Shut up.

Anyway, DotA was originally a user-created map in Warcraft 3's Battlenet, that put two teams of 5 up against each other. the game spawns creep (weak monsters), you kill enemy creep to level and advance down the path or lane that those weak monsters walk. The goal was to work together to beat your enemies defense and destroy their base.

The one game basically started the genre. League of Legends was made as a standalone game that mimics it. Valve recruited some of the original team who built DotA to build DotA 2, which is the game Derp's referred to (Free on Steam). Awesomenauts is a 3v3, 2D sidescroller variant. Smite is 3rd person, 3D, and features gods. DawnGate features maps with a bunch of side objectives to help you win. Heroes of the Swarm is Blizzard's version, where you play as characters from the StarCraft, WarCraft, and Diablo universes. And there are a lot more.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*