What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Conduit 2
  3. What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?
11 months ago#141
Honestly, I see no reason to hate on Chain, the part where he talking about the sniping tourney, its very true, I honestly didn't think Chain was very good at first. (Which also supports in him saying that he is misrepresented in the community in terms of skill and such.) But the guy just beasted me very much so, and while I'm probably one of the worst PR users here if the tourney is to say anything about the skill level of each user here, (And that's not to say I suck, I consider myself a very good C2 player, just in this community and in PM battles, I suck compared to most of everyone else) Chain is probably one of the best players here: period.

So, I have to ask: why the hate?
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
11 months ago#142
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
LigersRule posted...
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
Top-level fighting game players are beyond anything else the video game world has to offer, and Smash players are vegetables in comparison.

Ok, you've never watched competitive StarCraft.

I've watched people watching competitive StarCraft. That was intense.

Brood War best game. I've recently started to get back into sc2 after stopping after the first hots season. Was a masters terran.

LigersRule posted...
Of course, unlike most fighting game players, they actually make a living out of it. Probably like the equivalent of $10,000 a year, but considering housing is almost always provided by the team, that's not bad.

Top players made a lot more than 10k a year.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/49725-progamers-income-list

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/closed-threads/257877-flash-signs-a-contract-for-500k-dollars

This does not include tournament winnings. Average salaries have most likely gone down in SC2 as it's not nearly at the same popularity level as Brood War was in Korea, but since KeSPA teams are backed by large corporations like SK Telecom, CJ Group, Samsung, Jin Air etc. they still probably make decent money.

Doubt NA or EU pros make nearly as much though.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForlornSnow
NNID - Forlorn
11 months ago#143
SupahShnipa posted...
Doubt NA or EU pros make nearly as much though.

The only non-Koreans I know are Naniwa and Scarlett. I know they both are fairly successful, but I doubt they are successful on the same level as a lot of South Koreans

Thanks for the numbers, though. I didn't bother looking things up. I'm a fairly casual eSports watcher, mostly just watching the biggest tourneys.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
10 months ago#144
xXAISPXx posted...
Where's Signal?

>.>

CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Well, when I played w/o perks, I had to learn to play completely differently. And there was no way I'd ever come up on top of a straight up dual, and my tactics all relied on either playing as a diversion and relying on my team to finish my kills, or to play really tricky with terrain, which is something I'm normally very poor at.

If you didn't play different with or without perks, then its not really possible to say they detract from the balance of the game.

I suppose. I mostly had to get better and land more shots than them. Which is why I used the USP, since it was so accurate with high mobility, and didn't really depend on range, just how well you could hit.

On the topic of balance, I wouldn't make one of the ground rules of my game that some players get to do more damage because they clicked something in the menu. I'm sure someone could get it to work if they wanted to, but CoDs aren't made to be competitive. They're made to be short lived entertainment for the casual market.

Not sure if it's worth replying. Our conversation got a bit buried.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
10 months ago#145
Derppopotamus posted...
Not sure if it's worth replying. Our conversation got a bit buried.

Of course it is.

I wouldn't make one of the ground rules of my game that some players get to do more damage because they clicked something in the menu.

Elaborate on this.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
10 months ago#146
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Elaborate on this.

I'm not Derps, but I imagine he's referring to perks.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
10 months ago#147
No online game can be truly competitive as long as players with very different ping times are paired with each other. Weapon balance, perks, loadouts, none of that means a thing when one player has a 50 ms ping and the other has a 300 ms ping.

I usually just played for fun. This is one of the reasons my KDR was where it was. I valued every player that I encountered, and held back whenever it may have been possible to get a ROT. Why did I do that? Because my very first online match was a 1v1 and there's no doubt that the other guy got a ROT. He did it with PR tuning and spawn camping. I'm not sure I fired a single shot the whole match, and I nearly put the game down for good.

As far as Chain and the HVS are concerned, there's only one other person of the same caliber with the HVS and that is RJ. RJ didn't mess around with the HVS... if you stopped moving you were dead. It was that simple.

I would like to add that losing isn't fun. You can read whatever you want into that.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
10 months ago#148
_Signal posted...
No online game can be truly competitive as long as players with very different ping times are paired with each other. Weapon balance, perks, loadouts, none of that means a thing when one player has a 50 ms ping and the other has a 300 ms ping.

Online Chess *Giggles* I hate to keep bringing up Counter-Strike, but it's a good example of a Competitive Shooter. They've done online tournaments, and the players take into account the peeker's advantage. They know that players will be seeing around a corner milliseconds before the internet sends the data and shows them coming around the corner on their screen.

I usually just played for fun. This is one of the reasons my KDR was where it was. I valued every player that I encountered, and held back whenever it may have been possible to get a ROT. Why did I do that? Because my very first online match was a 1v1 and there's no doubt that the other guy got a ROT. He did it with PR tuning and spawn camping. I'm not sure I fired a single shot the whole match, and I nearly put the game down for good.

And then he went on a forum and said it was a Good Game.

I would like to add that losing isn't fun. You can read whatever you want into that.

There are all kinds of people who take losing in different ways. The closest I've seen to someone enjoying losing is when it feels like their efforts are respected despite their shortcomings. Usually I just hear a lot of people on the mic telling me "You're s***, WiiFitGOTYedition!" It'll be my team if we lose, the other if we win. I really need to put together a Team so I can stop playing with random people.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
10 months ago#149
Derppopotamus posted...
I really need to put together a Team so I can stop playing with random people.

For Counter Strike? I should practice that some more, and then maybe one day, after I put in like 300 hours or something, I might be able to keep up and play some with you without embarrassing myself.

There are all kinds of people who take losing in different ways. The closest I've seen to someone enjoying losing is when it feels like their efforts are respected despite their shortcomings.

I think the reason a lot of people say some really mean things is because it's the internet. If they were sitting right next to you, I imagine they wouldn't have said the same things. I've been watching the DotA 2 International this weekend, where all the players are on the same stage. They're usually really nice at the end of a game, when they walk out and shake their opponents hands. They might have just lost hundreds of thousands of dollars per person, but they show a lot of respect to each other. Kinda like you would when you play your best friend at Smash Bros or something. Whether you win or lose usually has no impact on the mood after the match is over. You just high five and laugh a bunch.

Things are different online. Too many people hide behind their screen, and say some terrible things to each other. I've observed, several times, people say things like "I hope you get hit by a truck and die", and actually meant it. People say some pretty terrible things behind their screen name.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
10 months ago#150
_Signal posted...
RJ didn't mess around with the HVS... if you stopped moving you were dead. It was that simple.

I didn't even know he used the HVS :o

I think I barely barely ever played him.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
  1. Boards
  2. Conduit 2
  3. What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived