What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#161xXAISPXxPosted 7/22/2014 6:32:06 AM
_Signal posted...
No online game can be truly competitive as long as players with very different ping times are paired with each other. Weapon balance, perks, loadouts, none of that means a thing when one player has a 50 ms ping and the other has a 300 ms ping.

I usually just played for fun. This is one of the reasons my KDR was where it was. I valued every player that I encountered, and held back whenever it may have been possible to get a ROT. Why did I do that? Because my very first online match was a 1v1 and there's no doubt that the other guy got a ROT. He did it with PR tuning and spawn camping. I'm not sure I fired a single shot the whole match, and I nearly put the game down for good.

As far as Chain and the HVS are concerned, there's only one other person of the same caliber with the HVS and that is RJ. RJ didn't mess around with the HVS... if you stopped moving you were dead. It was that simple.

I would like to add that losing isn't fun. You can read whatever you want into that.

Plot twist, that was me.
---
SOTD: "I am Michael Ford, still with a purpose. I thank you all, for your great service."
- Col Biscuit's "Hero"
#162xXAISPXxPosted 7/22/2014 6:34:10 AM
KhmerInception posted...
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
There's some deep philosophical s*** going on in here. Make sure you don't stress yourself out with it.

I'm slightly stressed, not gonna lie there.

Hi, Kermer.
---
SOTD: "I am Michael Ford, still with a purpose. I thank you all, for your great service."
- Col Biscuit's "Hero"
#163CynralKynathelPosted 7/23/2014 10:04:01 AM
KhmerInception posted...
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
There's some deep philosophical s*** going on in here. Make sure you don't stress yourself out with it.

I'm slightly stressed, not gonna lie there.

I just wanna say.
You're a little late to the party.
---
Pseudo-official Co-'Pun'-isher of the Conduit 2 Board. I have veteran SCARs. Heheheh.
#164CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/26/2014 11:12:40 AM
BTW, anybody here remember DarkZV2Beta.

Really big poster here up till launch, but never actually got around to playing as far as I know.

Anyway, he was always talking about UT, and Arena shooters and stuff.

He had a way of rubbing people the wrong way, but I still think its a shame he didn't stick around. For somebody so invested in gaming the way he was, he was oddly open to new ideas, and breaks from plain formats. ( aka, competitive format )
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#165DerppopotamusPosted 7/26/2014 5:10:40 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
and breaks from plain formats. ( aka, competitive format )

Is that a thing? Starcraft and Street Fighter 2 are both competitive games, but I feel like there isn't a format they both follow.

You really ought to try Fistful of Frags. Your kills aren't shown on the scoreboard, only points. Every weapon gives a different amount of points depending on how challenging it is to get a kill with it. So punching someone with your fists gives you 18 points, while a revolver will get you 12 or something.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
#166B05S_BrennanPosted 8/2/2014 8:46:44 PM(edited)
You guys might wanna check this game out if you're into arena shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg
---
||C2 FC: 0691-9553-5915||
https://www.youtube.com/user/B05SxBrennan
#167PancakeThe2ndPosted 8/2/2014 9:12:12 PM
The Gears of war games are Arena shooters.
---
At least during school you have people to socialize with, better than lonely summers.
#168CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 8/2/2014 10:30:06 PM
Yeah, I've already made a rant on that video.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#169LigersRulePosted 8/2/2014 11:24:43 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Yeah, I've already made a rant on that video.

Why? It's paying tribute to old school Arena Shooters like UT and Quake. Kinda seems similar to Shovel Knight, which pays tribute to NES era platformers, only this pays tribute to a somewhat more recent genre. Just because it doesn't have modern mechanics doesn't mean it's not going to be good. On the other hand, I have no idea anything about the company, or what will become of the game. I'd rather trust in Epic and their new (F2P) Unreal Tournament game to be a homage to old-school Arena Shooters.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#170LigersRulePosted 8/2/2014 11:35:20 PM(edited)
PancakeThe2nd posted...
The Gears of war games are Arena shooters.

Uhm... No. Not at all. You might want to educate yourself on what an arena shooter is. Here's a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5b_cTZzBw

Edit: Quake might be a little too fast paced for most people here, so here's a video showing the other pinnacle of arena shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVOPs8n5vwo
---
*Insert 25 wit here*