What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#171CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 8/2/2014 11:40:26 PM
LigersRule posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Yeah, I've already made a rant on that video.

Why? It's paying tribute to old school Arena Shooters like UT and Quake. Kinda seems similar to Shovel Knight, which pays tribute to NES era platformers, only this pays tribute to a somewhat more recent genre. Just because it doesn't have modern mechanics doesn't mean it's not going to be good. On the other hand, I have no idea anything about the company, or what will become of the game. I'd rather trust in Epic and their new (F2P) Unreal Tournament game to be a homage to old-school Arena Shooters.

Because of their List.

They have only a few crucial seconds to try to sell me on why I should consider buying their game, and they choose to tell me how its ONLY avaiable on PC.
Oooh! I'm really hyped now! You know i was worried it was going to come out on Xbox or something, because that would have ruined my whole experience.

Same deal with talking about how much of a FTP game it isn't.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#172PancakeThe2ndPosted 8/3/2014 12:13:23 AM
LigersRule posted...
PancakeThe2nd posted...
The Gears of war games are Arena shooters.

Uhm... No. Not at all. You might want to educate yourself on what an arena shooter is. Here's a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5b_cTZzBw

Edit: Quake might be a little too fast paced for most people here, so here's a video showing the other pinnacle of arena shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVOPs8n5vwo

What exactly makes an arena shooter?

From what I've read from you guys, ya'll make it seem like you have to start off equally to every other player in the match.
That's exactly what GOW does, you start off with a choice between 2 rifles that are equally powerful (Lancer and Hammerburst) Besides the rifle everyone has the same pistol, shotgun and a smoke. After that you have to find weapons scattered all over the map. There is no "Random ass s***" going on either (Killstreaks). What else, it takes skill to play, no modifying goes on with the weapons.

Btw, that link Brennan posted reminds me of Halo. Not sure why every sci-fi shooter draws ideas fron Halo.
---
At least during school you have people to socialize with, better than lonely summers.
#173LigersRulePosted 8/3/2014 1:32:09 AM
...Pancake, there was so much wrong with that post that I'm not even going to bother. I guess when myself, Falcon, Chain, Derps, and whoever else were talking about arena shooters verses modern shooters, we mistakenly assumed the people who read it would have a basic understanding of the topic at hand.

If you want one extremely crucial detail, though, Gears is third person.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#174PancakeThe2ndPosted 8/3/2014 2:05:27 AM
LigersRule posted...
...Pancake, there was so much wrong with that post that I'm not even going to bother. I guess when myself, Falcon, Chain, Derps, and whoever else were talking about arena shooters verses modern shooters, we mistakenly assumed the people who read it would have a basic understanding of the topic at hand.

If you want one extremely crucial detail, though, Gears is third person.

But I'd like to know
---
At least during school you have people to socialize with, better than lonely summers.
#175LigersRulePosted 8/3/2014 3:17:35 PM(edited)
Then do your own research. I'm not going to sit here and teach you something every person who wasn't born this millennium knows.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#176PancakeThe2ndPosted 8/3/2014 4:28:55 PM
You know whats a great arena shooter? Conkers bad fur day.
---
#177LigersRulePosted 8/3/2014 6:04:36 PM
...I imagine that was supposed to be a joke, but... seriously? I imagine Conker's Bad Fur Day came out before you were born, and is really inappropriate for somebody your age.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#178CmoIsDaNam3Posted 8/3/2014 6:26:23 PM
LigersRule posted...
...I imagine that was supposed to be a joke, but... seriously? I imagine Conker's Bad Fur Day came out before you were born, and is really inappropriate for somebody your age.

---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#179PancakeThe2ndPosted 8/3/2014 6:45:38 PM
After an hour of research this is what I've found. And please read it before you throw it out the damn window.

"Quake, Unreal, Gears and Halo are all
Arena shooters whereas Team Fortress,
Battlefield, Shadowrun and CoD are
Class-based shooters.

Arena

Quake, Unreal and Halo are all in the same
boat when it comes to their roots as
Arena shooters and while Gears is a third
person cover based shooter it does not
remove the fact that it too is an Arena
shooter
. These 4 games all share the
same traits which identify them as
"Arena". These traits consist of the
following:

All players spawn with equal
opportunity when it comes to player
ability and potential allowing for
predictability in encounters.
Players are not given weapons,
items or abilities through pre-selected loadouts but instead must
fight to attain the ones that are
placed on the map.

-exception in the case of Gears 3
where there are different starting
weapons but are balanced against
each other
Weapons and items are placed on
the map in such a way as to
influence map movement and player
positioning.
There are no defined roles or
specializations for players in the
game; everyone is the same and
only their play style and skill can
influence their performance in
game.
Hmm
Here's the link.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst117020_What-is-an-Arena-shooter.aspx
---
#180B05S_BrennanPosted 8/3/2014 6:45:51 PM
While we're on the subject of Rareware 3D platformers, I'm going to take the opportunity to post this trailer of an indie Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_RoZVPxko
---
||C2 FC: 0691-9553-5915||
https://www.youtube.com/user/B05SxBrennan