What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#21SupahShnipaPosted 6/26/2014 7:06:53 PM
LigersRule posted...
DotA is considered to be the origin of a new kind of game, called MOBA, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.

That's Aeons of Strife
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForlornSnow
NNID - Forlorn
#22DerppopotamusPosted 6/26/2014 8:34:04 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI3ODg5ODk4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjc0NDA0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR9,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
#23PUNCHOUT1116Posted 6/26/2014 8:50:25 PM
Dotas and Mobas and bears oh my!!!

Seriously though, thanks for the info, I'm really out of touch :(
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#24LigersRulePosted 6/26/2014 9:46:04 PM
SupahShnipa posted...
LigersRule posted...
DotA is considered to be the origin of a new kind of game, called MOBA, or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.

That's Aeons of Strife

AoS is primitive in comparison to DotA. AoS might have led to DotA, but DotA is the base of pretty much everything else.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#25_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2014 6:45:14 AM
If it's mostly about loadouts and weapon's spawn, didn't C2 essentially have that for private matches using forced loadouts, weapons pickup and ammo dumps? Just reduce the speed to 40% and you've essentially got TCon, minus a few details.

It seems like there was large enough group of TCon fans around here at the beginning to support those kinds of private matches. You can even control the speed and health. How come that didn't work out. Was it just because they couldn't accumulate XP and level-up in private matches?

I've read a lot of negative comments about the reticles being changed, the removal of the health bar, capping the fire rate, and the SR being changed. Aren't those pretty minor elements?
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#26F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/27/2014 7:46:57 AM
Not quite. A few were really big.
Some of the best TCon players dominated because they had insanely fast trigger fingers, and HVS nerfed the balls off the SR (I say that figuratively, but considering what it's made of, it probably does have balls).

True, you can reduce the speed, but sprint is still there. Counterstrike, as an example, has a good movement speed without sprint. The problem with it is that it's too much of a get-out-of-jail-free card. You should have to think about your map movement, not just aimlessly derping your way around and then booking it when you get into a bad situation. You may be able to lower movement speed, but it's still an annoyance.
#27DerppopotamusPosted 6/27/2014 11:16:01 AM
F4LCONSW4G posted...
True, you can reduce the speed, but sprint is still there. Counterstrike, as an example, has a good movement speed without sprint. The problem with it is that it's too much of a get-out-of-jail-free card. You should have to think about your map movement, not just aimlessly derping your way around and then booking it when you get into a bad situation. You may be able to lower movement speed, but it's still an annoyance.

Also worth mentioning: When you take damage in CS your speed decreases temporarily. They call it player tagging. Also helps that there is no way to get health back, so there is no forgiveness for getting yourself shot.
---
Wii Fit GOTY Edition: Thats fine. I'm getting ready for bed
Octavia Philharmonica: I will tuck you in
#28_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2014 11:48:48 AM
I have a pretty fast trigger finger too, but I'm ok with the software fire rate cap because it eliminates some of the players whose insanely fast trigger fingers weren't actually real.

Also, using sprint to run away is way more difficult than it sounds. I usually ran with the USP and Scar, and it was virtually always a mistake to run rather than shoot it out.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#29CmoIsDaNam3Posted 6/27/2014 3:14:20 PM
_Signal posted...
I have a pretty fast trigger finger too, but I'm ok with the software fire rate cap because it eliminates some of the players whose insanely fast trigger fingers weren't actually real.

Also, using sprint to run away is way more difficult than it sounds. I usually ran with the USP and Scar, and it was virtually always a mistake to run rather than shoot it out.

This all day.
---
Cmo More Often.
Emergence - A Conduit 2 Montage OUT NOW, WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzVLbkbnQI
#30CynralKynathelPosted 6/27/2014 3:46:44 PM
The writer of the article makes several good points but I have a problem with how he refers to having max level makes you more powerful and removes competitiveness. I believe this to be untrue as skill tends to play a larger role than what you have. My experience with Con2 is a perfect example.

Back when I started to replay Con2 on the my WiiU I created a new multiplayer file called "99%", and I forced myself to go perkless. Also keep in mind that nearly everyone I faced was a much higher level than me (30 levels ahead at the least). If this were to play out according the writer then I must have been beat all the time, but the opposite happened. I dominated in nearly all of my games with average kills per game around 17+.

Also, another problem I find is that he goes on like arena shooters are the best kind of shooters. I can't agree to that because, in my opinion, arena shooters aren't that fun because it provides little variety in teams. Remember all the times that you played the long range weapon set on sanctum? Of course not, because it was all Explosives weapon set on Streets. I would often get into a game pumped and then spend the next hour doing the same map and weapon set over and over and over. At which point I would get bored and leave, or get lucky once and be able to play something different. I'd rather play a game where I can change my play style rather than be forced to have one because everybody voted that we be snipers or a tactical team or close combat tanks.

What I'm saying is arena shooters can get boring, and being max level with all the items doesn't mean s***.
---
Pseudo-official Co-'Pun'-isher of the Conduit 2 Board. I have veteran SCARs. Heheheh.