What the heck is an arena shooter anyway?

#61ReedeemerPosted 7/13/2014 1:04:28 AM
_Signal posted...
So I was thinking about this and decided to look around the web a bit:

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?27813-What-is-it-that-classifies-a-game-as-an-quot-Arena-Shooter-quot

And that led me to:
http://oxcgn.com/2012/04/29/is-the-arena-shooter-dead/

It turns out that this all points at TCon versus C2. The writer of the second article wouldn't classify C2 as an arena shooter.

Thoughts?

Quake and Unreal Tournament are the two big ones. If you know who Cliff Bleszinski is, he's supposed to be reviving the genre (news on that title actually came out this week or the last). Bleszinski btw is the guy who created Gears of War.
---
NNiD: rZetro
PSN: Zetro-X
#62FALCON_ONLINEPosted 7/13/2014 1:20:09 PM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
BTW, if I'm like, totally off the wall here...

As usual.

Quitting while you're ahead here might be prudent.
#63CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/13/2014 4:34:09 PM
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
BTW, if I'm like, totally off the wall here...

As usual.

Quitting while you're ahead here might be prudent.

I never said anything about quitting.

I just didn't want to come off as argumentative, not that you've ever had that problem.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#64FALCON_ONLINEPosted 7/13/2014 7:28:36 PM
No, that was just my advice, because you were spouting bulls***.

As Derpy pointed out earlier, modern shooters are the equivalent of giving Guile an uppercut and Blanka a fireball. Yes, it's obviously dumb, but it's "variety" no matter how pointless or annoying to balance it may be. Modern shooters are the Burger King "Have it your way" meals. Maybe you get your "variety", but it's actually a revolting pile of s*** when you unwrap it.
#65CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/13/2014 10:13:51 PM
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
No, that was just my advice, because you were spouting bulls***.

As Derpy pointed out earlier, modern shooters are the equivalent of giving Guile an uppercut and Blanka a fireball. Yes, it's obviously dumb, but it's "variety" no matter how pointless or annoying to balance it may be. Modern shooters are the Burger King "Have it your way" meals. Maybe you get your "variety", but it's actually a revolting pile of s*** when you unwrap it.

I'm not sure how that makes sense.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#66FALCON_ONLINEPosted 7/14/2014 4:43:18 AM
In other words, steering away from pre-sets seems to always be messy. I.E., you go to a nice Italian restaurant. There's a set menu. You don't order whatever the f*** pops into your head, but it will still be good. Then you go to a fast food restaurant where you could order pretty much whatever you want on your burger, but the fat, pizza-faced high school sophomore working there is probably going to put boogers, j***, or other disgusting personal excretions on it to be a p****. You trade off variety for quality. Yeah, you can pick the M249 whenever you feel like it, but it's a tradeoff for a messer, more poorly balanced game.

Nice sit-down restaurant: Arena shooter

Fast food with heath hazards: Modern shooters
#67_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 5:50:24 AM
I'm still here AISP, just taking a little break from posting. We had a terrible contractor working on our house that we're getting ready to sell and that's taking up a lot of my energy. Plus I've been working on getting GlovePie to run on my PC so that I can use the Wiimote to play games there. Meanwhile I discovered ControllerMax, sort of an adapter that will let you use the Wiimote to play on Xbox360, Xbox1, PS3 and PC. I'm just trying to figure out what my next "thing" will be. Ghosts is ok, but I'm certainly not driven to play it like I was C2.

And as far as your map goes Derp, I think it looks awesome.
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#68xXAISPXxPosted 7/14/2014 12:29:11 PM
FALCON_ONLINE posted...
There's a set menu. You don't order whatever the f*** pops into your head, but it will still be good. Then you go to a fast food restaurant where you could order pretty much whatever you want on your burger, but the fat, pizza-faced high school sophomore working there is probably going to put boogers, j***, or other disgusting personal excretions on it to be a p****.

10/10
---
SOTD: "I am Michael Ford, still with a purpose. I thank you all, for your great service."
- Col Biscuit's "Hero"
#69CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/14/2014 2:14:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not how restaurants work.

And I'm pretty sure that people putting presents in your food is a personal problem, you're probably getting similar treatment regardless of where you dine.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#70FALCON_ONLINEPosted 7/14/2014 2:23:20 PM
And I'm pretty sure you're still not making the connection.

Yes, that kind of thing is relatively rare, but after working as a line cook for about a year I can affirm that there's a lot of disgusting s*** that still gets by.

The real point here is that more variables decreases order in the result. You're making a random, s***ty mess that rewards random chance more than skill, if not intentionally crippling good players.