What the heck is a non-casual player anyway?

#1_SignalPosted 6/29/2014 9:27:47 AM
I see this term all over the place.

Can someone please help me understand the difference between a casual player and a non-casual player? Is there someone beneath a casual player or are there only these two classifications?

I also see the term Pro thrown around a lot too. Are all non-casuals Pros? To be considered a Pro do you have to earn money playing?

Are the terms casual and non-casual part of the same classification system that includes noobs and scrubs or are those just slang terms?

To quote the Martians in Mars Attacks "at ack at ack at ack."
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#2F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/29/2014 9:42:23 AM
Jesus, your topics suck. Before the fifty post response appears:

Casual - a bad player who cares nothing for balance or competition and just likes random explosions and gunfire and BANG BANG BOOM BLOW S*** UP, F*** YEAH B****ES!

Competitive player - a skilled player who wants a balanced, even game that factors in nothing but that skill.

Pro - someone who makes money off of competitive gaming, whether from sponsors or team salary or whatever else.

Scrub - Just a derisive term for casuals, since they invariably suck. Other favorites are random, scrandom, bad kid, and other game-specific ones.

Noob - used to be the favored derisive term, but it's so disgustingly colloquialized that you can't use it without being ironic anymore.

Hardcore player - again, irony.

This is simple stuff. I shouldn't have to explain it.
#3SupahShnipaPosted 6/29/2014 11:50:13 AM
"Casual" meant to describe people who play games a couple times a week, a lot of the time with friends or just to mess around. Buys only a few big name/mainstream titles a year. They play to mess around and have a good time.

Non-Casuals are people who spend a good amount of time playing a game and learning the ins and outs of games. Some do it because they like the competitive aspect, some just enjoy figuring everything out, some just enjoy the game a ton etc. The thing is that both types still play games because they enjoy it, just in different ways.

Hardcore gamers - 14yr olds who think dark and edgy videogames are HARDCORE and if it doesn't have violence and blood you aren't a HARDCORE GAMER RAWR

Noobs/scrubs etc are just insults for the most part.

Pros play for money.

These are my definitions at least.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/ForlornSnow
NNID - Forlorn
#4_Signal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2014 1:03:54 PM
So by both of your definitions, most of the players here would be considered non-casuals, correct?
---
Even my signature is off-topic!
Conduit2FC(36): 3354-2948-5226, (38): 4814-7986-3261
#5F4LCONSW4GPosted 6/29/2014 1:20:57 PM
Out of those that still post here? Lig, Derpy, and I seem to be the only ones filling that category.
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 6/29/2014 2:19:52 PM
F4LCONSW4G posted...
Out of those that still post here? Lig, Derpy, and I seem to be the only ones filling that category.

I take offense to that.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#7old_man_mossyPosted 6/29/2014 2:32:55 PM
Casual: people who play for fun

Non casual, aka, the "try hard": those who need a way to feel better about themselves by going about the divide and conquer route; they like fooling themselves into a false sense of superiority by behaving like drunken jocks arguing if golf/tennis/bowling or whatever isn't a sport and only boxing is...as it's in a modified arena. (mma is for casuals too, it has skill loadouts after all & isn't simply boxing)

Interesting sidebar: non casuals...as serious as they are can be quite terrible at gaming in general...they just subscribe to a militant philosophy that they spew with contempt at anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path; it's easier to blame a game and accuse it of being devoid of skill than to recognize their lack of ability to adapt or be inventive.

Eventually they stumble upon a game or two the are somewhat proficient in and declare all other games fit for the filthy casuals, lol.
---
A big part of me tries very hard to behave. A small part of me laughs at the effort and behaves like an ass, anyway.
#8LigersRulePosted 6/29/2014 3:01:25 PM
old_man_mossy posted...
Casual: people who play for fun

Non casual, aka, the "try hard": those who need a way to feel better about themselves by going about the divide and conquer route; they like fooling themselves into a false sense of superiority by behaving like drunken jocks arguing if golf/tennis/bowling or whatever isn't a sport and only boxing is...as it's in a modified arena. (mma is for casuals too, it has skill loadouts after all & isn't simply boxing)

Interesting sidebar: non casuals...as serious as they are can be quite terrible at gaming in general...they just subscribe to a militant philosophy that they spew with contempt at anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path; it's easier to blame a game and accuse it of being devoid of skill than to recognize their lack of ability to adapt or be inventive.

Eventually they stumble upon a game or two the are somewhat proficient in and declare all other games fit for the filthy casuals, lol.

...What the frick? Mossy, are you drunk? Your words aren't making any sense.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*
#9old_man_mossyPosted 6/29/2014 3:10:29 PM(edited)
What part did you have trouble with Liger; I'd be happy to explain.

Did you have problems with the anology?

Are you expressing false puzzlement to make a jab at me because you feel slighted? I wasn't referring to you, btw, with the reference to non casual. I'd consider you more casual myself (you play games for fun without slamming those who don't enjoy what you do)

Not drunk btw; thanks for your condescending behavior though! Lol; if I'm to tolerate this place perhaps I should jump off the wagon again...might be helpful

Another interesting sidebar: non casuals tend to talk more about gaming than actually playing games.
---
A big part of me tries very hard to behave. A small part of me laughs at the effort and behaves like an ass, anyway.
#10LigersRulePosted 6/29/2014 3:17:15 PM
I'm just... not even gonna bother. SupahShnipa and Falcon are pretty much on-the-mark with their definitions, as far as I'm concerned.
---
*Insert 25 wit here*