Darksiders: The Plot explained (Ending Spoilers)

#1IcehoundPosted 3/23/2011 10:16:21 PM
This takes place starting at the Black Throne since the story prior to this is pretty simple to follow. This was found on Wikipedia:

At the Tower, War encounters Azrael, the Angel of Death, who has been imprisoned there. Azrael confesses that he and Abaddon conspired to bring about the Apocalypse ahead of time, fearing to delay any longer would risk Heaven's defeat. However, the plan fell apart with the death of Abaddon. After hearing this, War decides that his bargain with the Charred Council is complete. The Watcher decides otherwise, telling him that the balance must be restored. War journeys to the heart of the Black Tower, where he confronts and slays Straga, thus avenging his previous defeat. Azrael, now freed, saves War as the Tower collapses due to Straga's death, and takes him to the remains of the Garden of Eden, which was long thought destroyed. There, he tells War that the Tree of Knowledge can reveal to him how he can defeat The Destroyer.

In Eden, War visits the Tree, which gives him a vision: after Abaddon was killed, he was taken to Hell and offered the choice by an unknown woman (see next post) to serve in Heaven or rule in Hell. Abaddon chose the latter and was transformed into The Destroyer. He then found the Seventh Seal, which he now guards. The vision also predicts that The Destroyer plans to lay siege to Heaven; Uriel will lead the Hellguard against the Destroyer and be defeated. The Charred Council foresaw these events, and concluded that only the Horsemen could stop the conspirators, but knew that they would never lower themselves to become assassins, so they let the apocalypse start and summoned War so they could accuse him, knowing that he would do all in his power to clear his name. War also sees a vision of himself being taunted by The Watcher and then being stabbed through the back with a large and mystical sword. Azrael deduces that the sword in War's vision was the Armageddon Blade, the only weapon now capable of slaying the Destroyer, and gives War the task to find the shards of the blade and take them to Ulthane to reforge it.

War is confronted once more by Uriel, who challenges him to a fight to the death. War emerges victorious and chooses not to kill Uriel, despite the urging of The Watcher. War promises Uriel that her death will be at a time of his choosing and tells her the Destroyer's true identity. After War departs, Uriel, grief-stricken and enraged by this knowledge, leaves to prepare the Hellguard for battle.

Once War collects all of the sword fragments, he returns them to Ulthane so he can reforge the Blade. Meanwhile, Uriel and the Hellguard attack the Destroyer, and as predicted, they fail. In the battle's aftermath, War confronts the Destroyer and is given the option to join him. War refuses and battles the Destroyer, who reverts back to Abaddon when War destroys his demonic form with the Blade. War then duels with the angel and defeats him. Uriel arrives and Abaddon reaches out to her for help. Uriel, with nothing but hate in her eyes replies "Reap what you have sown betrayer" and does nothing as War kills Abaddon. War retrieves the Seventh Seal, but is stopped by The Watcher, who tortures War and steals the seal, knowing that War would turn against the council. As he is about to kill War, Uriel takes the Armageddon Blade and stabs War through the back, as the Tree of Knowledge foretold and fulfilling the death oath declared earlier. She then breaks the Seventh Seal, returning War to his full strength. Now free of The Watcher's control, War crushes his head and kills him..

---
For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. --Matthew 24:27
#2Icehound(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2011 10:17:21 PM
Uriel tells War that because of his deeds, all debts have been repaid, but warns him that her duty will most likely require her to raise her blade against him. As War is about to depart, Uriel points out that the forces of Heaven and Hell will likely continue to hunt him, as will the agents of the Charred Council. Asking him if he will wage this new war alone, War turns to her and remarks, "No. Not alone", holding the broken Seventh Seal, as three meteors plummet towards Earth, heralding the arrival of the remaining three Horsemen.

According to Wikipedia, the "unknown woman" in Hell during the Eden story scene may reference the female demon Lilith, probably relating to the following folklore:

In the 13th Century writings of Rabbi Isaac ben Jacob Alfasi ha-Cohen, for example, Lilith left Adam (in some text theories (but not Christian, obviously) Lilith was Adam's first wife, rather than Eve) after she refused to become subservient to him and then would not return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael (hey, he sounds familiar!)

Interesting theory. Makes me wonder where Wiki drew these predictions from.
---
For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. --Matthew 24:27
#3TareosPosted 3/24/2011 1:09:44 AM
If you have read the digital comic book, there was a female demon named Lilith that flirted with Samael, so I drew to a similar conclusion that it was her who asked Abaddon the heaven or hell question.

It also explained that nagging question as to why the charred council wanted War dead in the beginning even if they already knew about the conspiracy: War was just a brat and a massive thorn in the council's side.
#4Icehound(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2011 8:20:07 PM
It also explained that nagging question as to why the charred council wanted War dead in the beginning even if they already knew about the conspiracy: War was just a brat and a massive thorn in the council's side.

Also, what did Samael mean when he said, "As for my resignation...let's just say I do not approve of the company my master keeps."
---
Not changing this signature until John Cena wins the WWE title.
est. 4/7/2011
#5crownedclown330Posted 4/17/2011 5:51:12 PM
Yeah, there HAS to be a sequel, they pretty much leave you at the start of the story for a part 2, where you have three other horsemen to play as. Also I don't think I missed anything in the game, but I remember Samael saying "We will meet again horseman" After he opens the path to the black throne, but I never saw him again in the game at all...
#6TareosPosted 4/18/2011 3:41:16 PM
Icehound posted...
Also, what did Samael mean when he said, "As for my resignation...let's just say I do not approve of the company my master keeps."

Spoilers for some:

Samael is just referring to Satan about the Destroyer. He probably knew the Destroyer was Abaddon, the guy who caused the Apocalyspe. Samael used to rule hell, until the Destroyer came and imprisoned him, inadvertently becoming the new ruler of hell.
#7Icehound(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2011 2:55:52 AM
So he resigned from Satan's service because Satan allowed Abaddon's defection?
---
Vacant signature.