Reincarnation Basics?

#1tokerbluePosted 9/17/2011 8:24:43 PM
This is my 4th Disgaea game and I still haven't delved into Reincarnation other than improving class tiers. I usually just grind and max out Rank 40 items...

Just to make sure I have the basics:
1. Unique characters should reincarnate as soon as possible for the 25% aptitude bonus? Are they capped at 5 reincarnations?
2. Non-unique characters can reincarnate an unlimited number of times? So I should just choose a time to reincarnate to the higher class tier?
3. Do character bonuses like Counter, Movement, etc. get reset when I reincarnate? What else is lost?
---
"We have sunk to such a depth that the restatement of the obvious has become the first duty of intelligent men" - George Orwell
#2GeistT4Posted 9/17/2011 8:31:50 PM
Just to make sure I have the basics:
1. Unique characters should reincarnate as soon as possible for the 25% aptitude bonus? Are they capped at 5 reincarnations?

pretty much, after wards storing levels will make them stronger

2. Non-unique characters can reincarnate an unlimited number of times? So I should just choose a time to reincarnate to the higher class tier?

depends on you really, unlocking higher tiers means more skills, there's always that reason

3. Do character bonuses like Counter, Movement, etc. get reset when I reincarnate? What else is lost?

no, skill experience i believe and your levels, but they're stored and you get bonus points for having more stored levels which makes your character stronger.
---
Monster hunter name: Reno, code:G3H928, hr 66
i wanna form the vagnis rangers.
#3KinseiNoShishaPosted 9/17/2011 8:32:10 PM
1.) That's really up to you, but the aptitude part is correct. They can reincarnate infinitely too (at a fixed cost, at that, unlike the generic units), but they won't gain anymore extra aptitudes from reincarnating after that fifth one.

2.) Correct, but the cost for reincarnating them increases each time.

3.) Just about everything carries over. The only thing you lose is a % of your skill exp, depending on what level of reincarnation you use (Genius, at only 5% skill exp loss being the best option, of course).
---
Cheating? Who said anything about cheating? I'm just enhancing my chances of winning, there's a difference.
#4Sans PantsPosted 9/17/2011 8:35:37 PM
"Are they capped at 5 reincarnations?"
They just stop getting the 5% aptitude bonus after the 5th reincarnation. There's no limit to the number of times anyone can reincarnate.

"So I should just choose a time to reincarnate to the higher class tier?"
Depends on your playstyle. Higher tiers have the highest aptitudes, have access to the most weapon skills (4th tier Bouncer has Big Bang), and have all their evilities available to buy.

"Do character bonuses like Counter, Movement, etc. get reset when I reincarnate? What else is lost?"
Anything you gain in the Character World is retained between reincarnations. What you lose is all your mana and 5% of your proficiency on learned skills. Anything you buy with mana can never be lost in reincarnation, and all the boosting you did (the little plus signs on the icon) stays forever.

Never, ever reincarnate at a lower level than the last time (same level or higher). Once you can get to level 9999, this isn't a problem.
#5tokerblue(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2011 10:37:49 PM
Thanks for the reminders. I think that you would lose the Movement Bills and Counter Bills in Disgaea 3, but I can't remember for certain.

Sans Pants posted...
Never, ever reincarnate at a lower level than the last time (same level or higher). Once you can get to level 9999, this isn't a problem.
- I definitely remember this rule.
---
"We have sunk to such a depth that the restatement of the obvious has become the first duty of intelligent men" - George Orwell
#6Scy046Posted 9/17/2011 11:00:23 PM
<semantics>

You can reincarnate at a lower level than the prior one if your base stats at the lower level are better.

</semantics>

Really, though, just a generally good guideline is to try to reincarnate around the same level if you're worried about coming out "worse." Even then, it's just for that reincarnation (unless you reincarnate at an even lower level the next time) and doesn't hinder you from eventually getting a maxed out character. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal unless you're reincarnating at a vastly different level (i.e, 50 vs 100 vs 200 may not matter but 50 vs 5000 will).

...and, even then, it's still just a temporary set back.
---
Imagine I said something witty or profound here.
#784MantinesPosted 9/17/2011 11:04:30 PM
Can I just ask a quick question? Is it still the 185,000-ish max for stored levels?
---
Mantine loves all, gii.
#8MystilePosted 9/17/2011 11:06:00 PM
84Mantines posted...
Can I just ask a quick question? Is it still the 185,000-ish max for stored levels?

Yes, 186k.
#984MantinesPosted 9/17/2011 11:06:30 PM
Cool, thanks.
---
Mantine loves all, gii.