This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Vulpix' hidden ability drought

#1YourAdventChildPosted 5/5/2011 6:05:42 AM
So I have these two beautiful Vulpix' that I've been breeding like mad. 'Cos according to bulbapedia there's a 40% chance that the offspring will inherit the mother's hidden ability. Vulpix' hidden ability is Drought, but about 15 offsprings later, I still only have offspring with Flash Fire.

Is there something I'm missing? What am I doing wrong here?

*Instant Ninetales solarbeam ftw*
---
"But I'm too Min/Maxed to die! \(>.
#2TimeSpaceMagePosted 5/5/2011 6:30:04 AM
I don't see the 40% part, but the page on Pokemon Dream World says the following:

Breeding mechanics

Female Pokémon with Hidden Abilities can pass on the Hidden Ability to their offspring. Breeding with Ditto does not pass on abilities. For example, if a female Darmanitan with Zen Mode bred with a male Simisage, the offspring Darumaka may have Inner Focus instead of the usual Hustle and would evolve into a Darmanitan with Zen Mode, instead of Sheer Force. However, it should be noted that there is also a chance of not passing on the ability.

Since it's not obvious from your post, are you sure your female already has the dream ability? o.o;
---
"Please lend me your panties for a dangerous mission." ~Cloud Strife, unused FF7 text
Proudly serving in the US Air Force.
#3Mitch1535Posted 5/5/2011 8:36:48 AM
The mother has to have the dream world ability to be able to pass it down.
---
White Friend Code: 3439-2837-7053
I am Dave! Yognaught and I have the balls!
#4SeraAlexandriaPosted 5/5/2011 9:29:27 AM
Um... Time, Mitch, if you read Mico's post again you'll notice he does say "mother's ability". Mico clearly knows it's only by the female and probably does have a female Vulpix with that ability. I don't know if it affects it any but maybe you should try to breed it with another pokemon within Vulpix's Egg group. Since only female should count that shouldn't matter but maybe the fact that the male has the normal Vulpix ability the game is giving the offspring the normal ability.
#5SeraAlexandriaPosted 5/5/2011 9:31:51 AM
Er, substitute Advent for Mico in my last post. I was probably looking at the wrong thread when using those names.
#6XObsidianK1ngXPosted 5/5/2011 10:15:47 AM
YourAdventChild posted...
So I have these two beautiful Vulpix' that I've been breeding like mad. 'Cos according to bulbapedia there's a 40% chance that the offspring will inherit the mother's hidden ability. Vulpix' hidden ability is Drought, but about 15 offsprings later, I still only have offspring with Flash Fire.

Is there something I'm missing? What am I doing wrong here?

*Instant Ninetales solarbeam ftw*

keep breeding, like it says its only a 40% chance with each offspring
---
HG FC-5156-5505-5139
White FC-3525-1377-9571
#7SuperSmellyJoePosted 5/5/2011 10:50:25 AM
SeraAlexandria posted...
Um... Time, Mitch, if you read Mico's post again you'll notice he does say "mother's ability". Mico clearly knows it's only by the female and probably does have a female Vulpix with that ability. I don't know if it affects it any but maybe you should try to breed it with another pokemon within Vulpix's Egg group. Since only female should count that shouldn't matter but maybe the fact that the male has the normal Vulpix ability the game is giving the offspring the normal ability.

While he does mention the mother's ability...he says "mother's hidden ability." He never explicitly says that the female Vulpix actually has that ability. So Advent may believe that the ability is just that...hidden, but not active until the mother physically passes it down. Or maybe not. Maybe he's sitting there, scratching his head, wondering if we think he's stupid. (Or she.)

The post was somewhat unclear, so we're just trying to get a better picture of the circumstances to find a solution. If the mother really does have Drought, then it's probably just terrible luck so far. After all, it's only 40%. If, however, it does not have Drought, then we've already addressed the issue.
#8yzmanPosted 5/5/2011 5:30:18 PM
I don't think the mother actually has the ability.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#9yzmanPosted 5/5/2011 5:31:51 PM
You get those "hidden" abilities by finding the pokemon in the dream world BTW.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#10Zero3696Posted 5/5/2011 6:35:10 PM
Is there an item which lets you increase the chance of passing the ability down?