This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone help me build my competitive team properly?

#1RawkningboltPosted 5/22/2011 1:52:45 PM
So I'm a newbie to Competitive Battling, I've been playing
the Pokemon Games for about 10 years and this is my first time
since that I want to do it right and use my Pokemon to their full
potential.

Now I have an idea of what Pokemon I'm going to use
but I am open to changes to better my team.

The help I'm looking for is pretty much in item choice,
move sets, natures, abilities, what EV's to train in, well everything really.

I know I'm asking a lot but I could use all the help I can get.

Currently my team is as follows.

Samurott LV.82 @Expert Belt
Hasty || Torrent
- Surf
- Megahorn
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Lucario LV.65 @Black Belt
Quirky || Inner Focus
- Poison Jab
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- No 4th Move

Braviary LV.67 @Sharp Beak
Adamant || Keen Eye
- Brave Bird
- Hone Claws
- Double Team
- Was Fly, Deleted it cause was told to.

Chandelure LV.64 @Charcoal
Gentle || Flame Body
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Zoroark LV.38 @Lucky Egg(cause he's in training)
Adamant || Illusion
- Foul Play
- Dark Pulse
- Torment
- Night Slash
(Although Im contemplating switching Zoroark
for my Umbreon.)

For my sixth Pokemon I don't really know what to use.
I just really need help bettering my Pokemon
and coming up with a legit strategy. I've always just counted on
Brute force throughout the story line.
---
Pokemon White Friend Code 1678-3493-1576
#2BirdofTokyoPosted 5/22/2011 2:34:17 PM

OK, you don't mind if I pretty much change your whole teamaround do you? Coz sorry, but u need some changes. Here is a great team with some of the Pokes you have chosen. But I had to replace Samurott with Ludicolo, because you had no Wall, and every team needs at least one wall.

Ambipom @ Normal Gem

Fake Out
Acrobatics
Shadow Claw
Taunt

EV: 252 Attacks, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Ability: Technician.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers

Surf
Toxic
Leech Seed
Substitute

EV: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 SA

Ability: Rain Dish

Lucario @ Life Orb

Close Combat
Extrem Speed
Crunch
Swords Dance

EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Ability: Inner Focus

Braviary @ Choice Band

Brave Bird
Thrash
Rock Slide
Superpower

Ability: Sheer Force

EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Chandelure @ Expert Belt

Flmaethrower
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Energy Ball

EV: 252 SA, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Zoroark @ Wise Glasses

Night Burst
Flamethrower
Extrasenssory
Nasty Plot

#3Rawkningbolt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2011 2:51:39 PM
No I don't mind at all, I encourage it lol.
Is there a place to catch a Lotad in White, or would I need
to trade someone for one?

Also I've been EV training some but still getting used to how it
works and which Pokemon to go after for the best EV put out.
Should I breed my Pokemon and start over on my EV training?

I have no problem breeding my Pokemon to get the right abilities and nature.
Does the nature of the Pokemon matter?
---
#4GigaraverPosted 5/22/2011 3:50:14 PM
Yes, Natures are extremely important. They increase and decrease a stat by 10% which is quite significant. If you really want build a proper competitive team, your pokemon's moveset needs to be best supported by a good nature.

For example, BirdofTokyo recommended this Zoroark for you:

Zoroark @ Wise Glasses

Night Burst
Flamethrower
Extrasenssory
Nasty Plot

This is a nice speedy special attacking Zoroark. Unfortunately your Zoroark's nature is Adamant, which boosts the attack stat while reducing the sp.attack stat. Obviously that's not helpful.

If you really like the recommended set, I suggest starting anew and raising a Timid natured Zoroark. Timid nature boosts the speed stat while reducing the attack stat. Since the above moveset doesn't use physical attacks, reducing the attack stat is perfectly acceptable.

Now you may be wondering why I don't suggest a nature that boosts Special Attack. You can go that route, but the above set already has Nasty Plot which ups Zoroark's sp.attack plenty. Having a speed-boosting Nature gives Zoroark more opportunities to go first amidst many other fast pokes. Zoroark is a considerably frail pokemon, so having to go second puts him at risk. Understandably, you're already taking a risk by using Nasty Plot.

And this is the kind of stuff you need to consider when raising a team. I haven't even looked the whole team to analyze their synergy. I think somebody else could do that better.
---
Tatsunoko VS Capcom - [3309-5984-6152] Name - Hyperdon
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]
#5Rawkningbolt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2011 6:29:14 PM
Alright, so a question about EV training.
How do I know how many EV's I have towards a single stat?

Like my Braviary has 255 Attack. But I know most of that is
from him leveling up. So how can I tell how many EVs he has?

Also what Pokemon are give the highest amount of EV's per Stat Type(ATK,DEF,SP.Def etc.)
---
#6GigaraverPosted 5/22/2011 7:09:10 PM
Well firstly you want to be keeping track of how many EVs a pokemon is receiving in battle. If you're not able to know that though, your best bet is the NPC in Opelucid City that lets you know when your pokemon has maxed out its EV total.

Ultimately it's not really practical to seriously EV train something you've already been using. People generally do such for a fresh pokemon. But there is one additional option, albeit it's pretty darn tedious this gen. You can try to obtain and harvest EV reducing berries - one for each stat, 6 in total - and feed 'em to your pokemon to reset their EVs.

The problem here is that I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to obtain any of those berries, and once you do, you gotta grow 'em. Unlike the previous generation, these berries will reduce the EVs of a stat by 10 and nothing more. Before it would bring the EVs down to 100 if you had invested over 100 EVs in a stat. This effect has been removed. Basically if you have a pokemon with 252 HP EV points, you gotta feed that pokemon 26 Pomeg berries. That's a lot for just one stat let alone one pokemon! So either you go out and obtain a huge reserve of these berries, or you just catch a new pokemon and start from scratch. Even then, I actually recommend getting those berries.

As for EV distribution, it varies among Pokemon, but the general rule is that under-evolved pokemon give 1 EV, 1st stage evolved pokemon give 2 EVs, and 2nd stage evolved pokemon give 3 EVs which is the most any pokemon will give you. Certain pokes will provide you 2 separate EV points for two different stats. Finally, the EVs a pokemon gives ALWAYS corresponds to their current best stat. For example, Zoroark's best stat is its Sp.Attack, so beating a Zoroark gives you 2 Sp.Attack EVs. If you know what the best stat of a pokemon is, you likely know which EV it provides.

The best and easiest way to figure all of this out is to use a site like serebii.net. You can look up pokemon to see what EV points they provide, then you can check up on its locations and appearance rate. Once you know that, you just go there and hunt for 'em.

If you want to make your job easier, use either the Macho Brace (halves user's speed, but doubles the EVs received after battle), or one of the six Power items (gives 4 EVs for a specified stat along with the EVs the defeated pokemon gives). These help you EV train faster, though you must be careful to keep track of incoming points so you don't make a mistake.

Finally, there is the additional option of obtaining the Pokerus Virus. This works like the Macho Brace, but without the speed penalty. Since it's not an item though, it provides a major boost to EV training efforts. If you're interested, I heavily recommend finding somebody who has the Pokerus in their game and have them trade you an infected pokemon. The virus itself is otherwise only obtained by encountering an infected wild pokemon, in which the odds of that are actually higher than finding a shiny pokemon!!

---
#7Rawkningbolt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/22/2011 7:26:36 PM
Thanks for all the help by the way.

So do you recommend me breeding all my
Pokemon and starting over from scratch with these EV items
and making sure I have the best Abilities and Natures for the specific
Pokemon of my choice?
---
#8Rawkningbolt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2011 1:39:39 PM
It took me thirteen tries to get a Timid Zorua.
But I've got em' now.
---
#9GigaraverPosted 5/23/2011 4:13:25 PM
Yeah I do. Two things to make your job a little easier:

> During breeding if the female is holding an Everstone, there will be a 50% chance it'll pass its nature to the child.

> If you're catching the pokemon you wanna raise, obtain a "Synchronizer", a pokemon that has the ability Synchronize. When a synchronizer is first in your party (active or fainted), there's a 50% chance you'll encounter a wild pokemon with the same nature as the Synchronizer. This is also beneficial for acquiring a female to breed.

For the latter option, the Dreamyard has Munna you can hunt. You'll immediately know if you've encountered a Synchronize Munna since it outwardly displays its other ability Forewarn. Finally, sychronizers are always a worthwhile aid to breeding, so again this is something you should just do anyway.
---
#10Rawkningbolt(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2011 9:09:25 PM
GigaRaver posted...
Yeah I do. Two things to make your job a little easier:

> During breeding if the female is holding an Everstone, there will be a 50% chance it'll pass its nature to the child.

> If you're catching the pokemon you wanna raise, obtain a "Synchronizer", a pokemon that has the ability Synchronize. When a synchronizer is first in your party (active or fainted), there's a 50% chance you'll encounter a wild pokemon with the same nature as the Synchronizer. This is also beneficial for acquiring a female to breed.

For the latter option, the Dreamyard has Munna you can hunt. You'll immediately know if you've encountered a Synchronize Munna since it outwardly displays its other ability Forewarn. Finally, sychronizers are always a worthwhile aid to breeding, so again this is something you should just do anyway.

I have an Ubreon and Espeon with Synchronize.
That's some great information. That will definitely make it
way more easy.
Now I've been attempting to catch a Braviary with Sheer Force
with no luck.
Any way to up the odds of encountering a Pokemon
with the ability you want?
I think I already know the Answer. But fingers crossed.
---