How hard is this game?

#1SipherX05Posted 8/28/2012 2:17:05 PM
Is it as hard as Super Meat Boy? God that game was fun but really tough at times.
---
The Cole Train runs on whole grain, baby... Whooo!!!
#2MrfrostguysPosted 8/28/2012 2:49:56 PM
oh. i cant even tell you how much harder this is. ive died 500+ times
#3CircleOfManiasPosted 8/28/2012 3:25:04 PM
It's hard in a completely different way. Super Meat Boy is just about memorization, to beat Spelunky you need actual skill.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#4BFishscalePosted 8/28/2012 4:08:06 PM
Super Meat Boy and Spelunky are both hard games, but I'd say SMB is about raw skill way more than Spelunky is.

What makes Super Meat Boy hard is you have to be extremely precise with your platforming. Most entire levels fit on one entire screen, so saying memorization is all takes to be good is a little misleading. Although being familiar with a level certainly helps Meat Boy rewards precision more than anything. You will die a lot over the course of beating Meat Boy, but I think what is really growing within that repetition is your twitch skills more so than your memory.

Spelunky on the other hand, what makes the game difficult is it punishes your mistakes extremely hard... in Meat Boy death is not a penalty, in Spelunky death is the ultimate penalty. As you play the game more and more you also start to feel like you've "figured out" the random generation of everything, and once you fall into that comfort zone it will often cost you that life.

Along with Geometry Wars 2 Spelunky and Meat Boy easily make up my favorite 3 XBLA titles, so I've played both a lot and I would say: yes they are both difficult, but I personally would say what makes SMB hard is it tests the twitchy part of your brain and forces you to keep playing until you get better, whereas what makes Spelunky hard is it tests the analytical part of your brain and forces you to always make the best decision or pay severe price for mistakes.
#5SipherX05(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 5:35:54 PM
Seriously tempted to buy Spelunky when I finish Darksiders 2.
Sounds like one hell of a challenge, which is a good thing.
---
#6QWERTY_369Posted 8/29/2012 9:13:58 AM
Spelunky is more about discipline and knowledge than skill. You can't just go gung-ho on stuff like you can with other platformers. You're given situations where you have to analyze your surroundings and plot your course of action. That said, sometimes you're just dealt a bad card. It took me a little over 500 deaths to get all of the achievements that aren't "play 1000 times," so expect a lot of deaths before you get the hang of things.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#7SipherX05(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2012 10:14:30 AM
I bought this game a few days ago and Im hooked.
Got to the Ice Caves so far and got a few characters unlocked ( Meat Boy FTW ). Even had a few games on multiplayer with my son and nephew and we all enjoyed it.
---
#8Deathx113Posted 9/10/2012 6:27:16 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
It's hard in a completely different way. Super Meat Boy is just about memorization, to beat Spelunky you need actual skill.

Lol no.

Both take a different set of skill.

Spelunky has a bit of LUCK in it. Meat Boy is all on you, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

Spelunky is also about skill, but sometimes you just get crapped on by the randomness.
---
What did the aldehyde say when it found the carboxylic acid hiding? "oic Acid!" har har har- Deathx113
#9ValedictorianXDPosted 9/28/2012 10:16:44 AM
CircleOfManias posted...

5 bucks says this guy never played I Wanna Be The Guy.
---
If you actually follow metacritic and other reviewers over your own opinion, you may as well glue wool over your body and join a flock of sheep.
~dragonkyn20
#10CircleOfManiasPosted 9/28/2012 5:33:59 PM(edited)
ValedictorianXD posted...
CircleOfManias posted...

5 bucks says this guy never played I Wanna Be The Guy.

Beaten it twice. When do I get the $5?

Skills picked up on one level of SMB tend to only apply to that level. There's one definite way to complete each one, and it's just a matter of committing that level to muscle memory. Spelunky requires you to understand the mechanics of the game to make progress, you can't win by memorizing the timing of every jump.

---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park