How hard is this game?

#11ValedictorianXDPosted 9/29/2012 8:01:07 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
ValedictorianXD posted...
CircleOfManias posted...
It's hard in a completely different way. Super Meat Boy is just about memorization, to beat Spelunky you need actual skill.

5 bucks says this guy never played I Wanna Be The Guy.

Beaten it twice. When do I get the $5?

Skills picked up on one level of SMB tend to only apply to that level. There's one definite way to complete each one, and it's just a matter of committing that level to muscle memory. Spelunky requires you to understand the mechanics of the game to make progress, you can't win by memorizing the timing of every jump.

There's a definite way to complete a platformer level? Lol...now I know you didn't play IWBTG...or N...or SMB, etc. You show me a definite way to complete a level, I'll show you how to do it easier and faster in 2 very different ways. Your logic has been debunked. In fact, having beaten IWBTG 7 times and an 8th time on impossible I know that every single one of my runs was pretty unique in the way I carried things out. It was a rare occasion when I had to memorize jump patterns (this only happened in areas where blocks disappeared and reappeared).

Also, as far as your "understanding of game mechanics" go: how hard is it to know that you can horde bombs till the last 2 worlds for an easy win in Spelunky?

II could summarize Spelunky as so:

-Jump over traps
-Descend
-Use bombs on last 2 worlds
-in the rare cases where you get dark level+rushing water/beehive/ghost, please restart

After the first 2 worlds (which will typically consist of 3 minutes of jumping and descending), I use a jetpack to break through world 3 in probably 30 seconds, and use bombs for the rest of the game after that. Yeah...that's so intense. Getting all of my achievements except the shopkeeper 1 in my first day of playing (since I purchased the game at around 8pm) really says something about the lack of challenge in this game.
---
If you actually follow metacritic and other reviewers over your own opinion, you may as well glue wool over your body and join a flock of sheep.
~dragonkyn20
#12CircleOfManiasPosted 9/29/2012 11:28:24 PM
After the first 2 worlds (which will typically consist of 3 minutes of jumping and descending), I use a jetpack to break through world 3 in probably 30 seconds, and use bombs for the rest of the game after that. Yeah...that's so intense. Getting all of my achievements except the shopkeeper 1 in my first day of playing (since I purchased the game at around 8pm) really says something about the lack of challenge in this game.

Try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSe8IxMqK80
and tell me IWBTG, SMB, or N are remotely challenging in comparison.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#13ExtraspectrePosted 10/14/2012 7:58:29 AM
This game has no mercy.

NONE. Thank your lucky stars if you take damage and don't get bounced or chained into an instant death. Despite how many hearts you collect, you are still incredibly fragile and maps are full of instant death traps. You simply can't afford to make mistakes.

It's a great game, really steep learning curve, but it doesn't throw everything at you at once, as you master areas new challenges open up(skill wise, they're not arbitrarily locked). The game is deep and varied too, and you can open up shortcuts to most of the major areas.

Lots of secrets too(and they're not easy to access).
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#14darkharePosted 10/14/2012 5:15:54 PM
CircleOfManias posted...

Try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSe8IxMqK80
and tell me IWBTG, SMB, or N are remotely challenging in comparison.

that game doesnt look fun or have any of the personality of Spelunky at all...
---
"what is the most important thing in the universe", a head of a dead cat. "why"? because you cannot put a price on it: Zen Buddhist