Improvement advice

#1The-MutantPosted 11/4/2012 12:51:58 PM
So I could use advice from experienced players. Now, I love Spelunky. To an extent, playing a lot over the time made me feel like I was improving- my timing was better, risk assessment, management, etc. But I seem to have kinda... hit a sort of plateau where no matter how much I play, I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall. I'm not sure what I need to do to get better- I can't even accomplish the Mine Key run, let alone really tackle the Temple, and yet people beat those ALL THE TIME, so there's definitely ways to improve. I'm just not sure what I need to do, since just continuing to play normally isn't doing it.

Any advice would be helpful.
---
This place has outlasted its usefulness... as have you! -Kain (Soul Reaver)
#2Inuyasha1357Posted 11/8/2012 11:59:34 AM
I think one of the most important things to realize is the value of bombs. Buying a bomb bag almost guarantees you an out to any situation. Any time a situation looks dangerous, you can just bomb your way to the next floor down. Also, don't rush or go so slow that the ghost is coming every level. I used to be so concerned with collecting things that the ghost would appear and cause me to rush into bad situations, but now that I worry less about collecting huge amounts of money, i make it through levels in a more level-headed fashion. Just keep at it, you will definitely get better.
---
A turtle creeps, sleeping beauty sleeps. - Akira
Games that I currently play all the time: SSBM, Persona 4 Arena, and Magic 2013
#3darkharePosted 11/9/2012 2:38:13 PM
learn to use the items that you can buy in the store and find the combination that works best for you, for some people they love using the jetpac and grappling gloves. other people swear by bombs. me personally i use a combination of the two, i iprefer compass and grappling gloves with lots of bombs. it took me a long time to do the mine key run as well, dont stress over it and just enjoy playing the game you'll eventually get it if you keep trying different things.
---
We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents.
#4Deathx113Posted 11/10/2012 3:18:12 PM
You'll get better dude, once you do the key run once you'll find the next time you do it'll be a piece of cake.

Seriously, I had to start over and was so afraid on the key run, but I ended up doing it on my first try >_>..

Always hold down to see what is below you before jumping down a level. Backpeddle when you whip, you won't turn around and your less likely to take damage.

Bombs are amazing. Use them to kill your least favorite enemy, or go down a floor and skip past them.

ALWAYS BUY A COMPASS, if given the chance. It is one of the most useful items, next to the jetpack. It is amazing for ice cave levels.

Take your time, you get 2 minutes and 30 seconds, which doesn't sound like a ton but I mean many levels can be beaten in 20-30 seconds, so you'll be fine taking some time to look around/collect loot. If you aren't doing a speed run, don't run as often (unless you're trying to get past traps and stuff), running leads to death, a lot of the time.

Also, personally, I find remapping bombs and rope to LT and RT, and changing your run button to LB and buy/enterdoor to RB reeeaaally helpful.

You'll be running much more often than bombing, so moving run to LB will let you press the button fast, and more often. xD Small thing, but it helps a ton, for me anyway.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"