The Team Building Thread

#1KarsticlesPosted 2/3/2011 6:21:24 AM
The purpose of this thread is to help people consider their theoretical teams and how their proposed teammates synergize. Many posters on this forum are confused about what makes a good team, claiming that they are worried about their teams not having "enough health", "too much rushdown", etc. Neither of these are factors in what makes for a balanced team. Below I have provided a guide found on SRK which will assist people new to the MvC series in creating a functional team. I will post my own response soon with a team I am currently considering.

Marvel VS Capcom 3
Newcomer’s Team Assessment Questionnaire

1. Who does your team consist of (in order of selection)?

2. What assists will your characters use (in order of selection)?

3. What type of game-play strategy are you pursuing with this team? (Explain)

4. What advantages does your point (first selected) character have?

What disadvantages does your point character have?

What maneuverability options does your point character have?

How will your assists aid your point character?

5. What advantages does your secondary character have?

What disadvantages does your secondary character have?

What maneuverability options does your secondary character have?

How will your assists aid your secondary character?

6. What advantages does your last character have?

What disadvantages does your last character have?

What maneuverability options does your last character have?

How will your assists aid your last character?

7. What kind of Delayed Hyper Combo opportunities do you think your team will have?

8. What type of impact will your Team Hyper Combo have on your opponent?

9. What are some of the weaknesses of your team?

10. After filling out this questionnaire, are you still comfortable with your team?
---
"Karst" for short.
PSN ID: Karsticles
#2Cloud_Strife_XPosted 2/3/2011 6:40:45 AM
Great idea Karst.
I'll tag for later and possibly completing later.

But what about those of us (myself as an example) who haven't yet decided on the 3rd team member or doesn't know what assists there selected characters are able to do? Or even possiblly not knowing a character's entire gameplay style? (eg. I've been considering using Jill)

What would you suggest in those cases?
---
"Why yes Aerith, now I'm an Ancient too."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuku3HuZJ8 <---I'm at #4
#3Karsticles(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2011 6:45:54 AM
1. Who does your team consist of (in order of selection)?
Dormammu/Sentinel/Amaterasu

2. What assists will your characters use (in order of selection)?
Dark Hole/Sentinel Force/Bloom

3. What type of game-play strategy are you pursuing with this team?
Using Sentinel Force to assist in cover, Dormammu remains on point playing a strong keepaway game while building meter; Bloom assists in the goal of having a great deal of meter to expend. If Dormammu falls behind a bit, Sentinel provides a nice secondary game that utilizes Dark Hole and can also burn meter since Hyper Sentinel Force and Plasma Charge chain together. Amaterasu will mostly use bead form, using Dark Hole to extend combos and Sentinel Force to make a small character even harder to touch.

4. What advantages does your point (first selected) character have?
Dormammu is a "master of all" - keepaway, rushdown, full-screen instant punishes, including the ability to kill an assist outright from Chaotic Flame xx XFC Chaotic Flame.

What disadvantages does your point character have?
Slow normals (but strong), and low health. Dormammu also has issues with teleporters and beam spammers.

What maneuverability options does your point character have?
Teleport, flight, 8-way air dash.

How will your assists aid your point character?
Sentinel Force provides a constant barrage of projectiles for my opponent to have to avoid, serves as a protective barrier for when I screw up, and can protect an advance or create cross-ups with teleport. Bloom builds meter so Dormammu can do what he is best at: burning half of his opponent's life off with two moves.

5. What advantages does your secondary character have?
High life, good reach, versatility in moveset, high damage, doesn't really need meter to do well, and super armor on two of his normals.

What disadvantages does your secondary character have?
Big and an easy target; somewhat slow moving.

What maneuverability options does your secondary character have?
Flight.

How will your assists aid your secondary character?
Dark Hole might be able to extend Sentinel's beam combo. Sentinel can OTG with Rocket Punch and then use Plasma Charge. Perhaps one can pop Dark Hole -> Rocket Punch OTG, and Dark Hole will catch your opponent, allowing for a relaunch. Hyper Sentinel Force does very nice chip, and if it can link to itself then Sentinel can always blow several meters on that; Bloom assists in this function.

6. What advantages does your last character have?
Small, really small. Very versatile in moveset, amazing full-screen hyper. Can hit full-screen almost with her normal attacks.

What disadvantages does your last character have?
Small health, but that's it.

What maneuverability options does your last character have?
Air dash.

How will your assists aid your last character?
Dark Hole as a combo extender, Sentinel Force makes touching Ammy at all a real pain in the butt.

7. What kind of Delayed Hyper Combo opportunities do you think your team will have?
Chaotic Flame -> Sentinel Force -> Okami Shuffle works perfectly, and two out of the three come out instantly full-screen.

8. What type of impact will your Team Hyper Combo have on your opponent?
Instant death.

9. What are some of the weaknesses of your team?
Strong rushdown characters might be a problem if they get in; low health on two characters means mistakes kill. If Sentinel or Dormammu dies, then the other has no offensive assist.

10. After filling out this questionnaire, are you still comfortable with your team?
Not really, which is why the team is merely a consideration for now.
---
"Karst" for short.
#4LocomotorPosted 2/3/2011 6:47:49 AM
Way too early for this thread. Let the game drop at least.
---
Jill Valentine in Marvel vs Capcom 3 = <3
Cammy White for DLC.
#5Karsticles(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2011 6:51:17 AM
But what about those of us (myself as an example) who haven't yet decided on the 3rd team member or doesn't know what assists there selected characters are able to do? Or even possiblly not knowing a character's entire gameplay style? (eg. I've been considering using Jill)

What would you suggest in those cases?

I suppose those who plan on using Jill or Shuma-Gorath (I am considering the latter) will either have to wait on making a post or make a post using a team without those characters (remember, we have a month before we get them, so you do need a temporary team!). It's fine to use a theoretical team - I'm not set on mine at all; Dormammu/Sentinel/Amaterasu is one of maybe a dozen combinations I am turning over in my head.

Filling out the survey is a good mental exercise that forces you to think critically about a team you are wondering about. IMO, if you're thinking about several teams, there's no harm in filling out several surveys.

For those ignorant about what assists their characters have, this thread provides a full list of every character's assist for those we have been able to play as:
http://shoryuken.com/f340/s-h-i-e-l-d-hq-official-mvc3-faq-thread-250252/

For those not on that list (Sentinel, Phoenix), their respective character threads on SRK generally provide their assists.
---
"Karst" for short.
#6keyblade321Posted 2/3/2011 6:51:44 AM
nice karst is back
---
PSN: zangetsu213 - ps3 is unconscious at the moment :(
GT: keyblade321
#7bochi1986Posted 2/3/2011 6:54:14 AM
the problem is i know little about theory. so its difficult to start answering the questions. maybe when the game came out.
i want arthur in my team, which other two characters can work well with him????
---
Hice a mi cuerpo amigo del viento y la distancia...
#8bochi1986Posted 2/3/2011 6:55:19 AM
welcome back Karst!!!!
---
Hice a mi cuerpo amigo del viento y la distancia...
#9Karsticles(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2011 7:01:46 AM
Thanks for the welcoming.

the problem is i know little about theory. so its difficult to start answering the questions. maybe when the game came out.
i want arthur in my team, which other two characters can work well with him????

That's what the point of the survey is - it helps you figure out the answer to that question. I encourage you to think about it more.
---
"Karst" for short.
#10MachoBambooEatrPosted 2/3/2011 7:04:22 AM
someone do this for me since i dont have the game yet..whats the strenths and weaknesses of this team

Deadpool
Dorammu
Akuma
---
HULKPANDA RETURNS
PSWii60 FTW