"Let's use new characters!" tourney: Round 12!

#1busyyuuPosted 4/29/2012 4:06:16 AM
This week we have the character that everyone b***hed and whined for during vanilla, and almost nobody ended up using when they did put him in! >_<; The character this week is...

... Strider!

Sure. he's got crap damage output, but at the same time he's also got mixups galore, great normals, and ouroboros. In fact, upon picking him, I'm thinking this might solve my Chris team problem. ^^ Enjoy!

Once again, the rules are:

1). One character is randomly chosen at the beginning of the week for people to train with and build a team around. This character MUST start on the point position, but does not have to remain there for the whole match.
2). The other two characters are up to the player to choose. Their order is also up to the player to choose.
3). Assists can be chosen by the player.
4). In order to encourage use of the character of the week, weíll do the matches on a point-based system. This will work as such:

Keep the character of the week in without swapping/alive the longest- 1 point
(So if you swap out the character, the other person gets a point. If you donít swap out, but the character is killed, the other person gets a point. Whichever happens first earns this point)
Win the match without swapping at all (OCV!)- 1 point
Win the match- 2 points

Amendments:
- A DHC that kills the opponent will still get the first bonus point
- A DHC that doesn't kill will not
- The same applies to TACs

First to 5 points wins
Finals will be FT7

5). The selection is done without regards to peopleís character usage. While this will put some naturally at an advantage through experience, the free choice of the teammates will offset this a little. Also, learning a single character in a week will be much easier than learning three, so while there will be some imbalance, it will hopefully not be too big of a deal overall.

Tentative tourney time:

Saturday
(US EST) 10am
(UK) 3pm
(HK) 11pm

Sunday
(Tokyo) 12am
---
GT: busyyuusuke
Currently playing: UMvC3, SSFIVAE2012, KoFXIII, GoW3
#2busyyuu(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2012 6:26:41 AM
My god, why didn't I try this combination sooner? I think I might have finally filled that open spot on my Chris team! ^^
---
#3mutenroushiPosted 4/30/2012 8:00:33 AM
Nice pick! I'm a bit busy this week but hopefully I can find some time to practice Strider. Lately Strider teams have been destroying me with him as an assist OR on point. I think combining a teleporter with Vajra assist may be the cheapest thing in the game, and I'm not exaggerating at all. It would definitely be good to learn a bit about him.
#4busyyuu(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 8:31:29 AM
God, teleporters plus vajra assist is just downright evil. The only consolation is that he's vulnerable on startup and one hit can lead to really easy assist death. I've learned that the best thing to do is constant pressure. That teleport-vajra assist needs space to set up, and if you're constantly in their face, it can be hard to get the vajra out. I actually think Wesk/Strider is an easier combination to deal with (most of the time) because it's easier to predict/nullify the crossup since it's distance based instead of position based, but Vergil is a bastard to deal with. Generally, I'm just extra careful, try to predict the mixup, and let Doom missiles hit confirm/create pressure before I start my own assault.

But I'm finding vajra to have some other really evil applications as well. Perhaps I shall reveal my "tech" (if you can call it that :B) in the near future... :3
---
#5MaverickMVIIPosted 4/30/2012 8:36:28 AM

Oh, okay, in that case guess I'll pick up Wesk/Strider this week then. ;D

#6busyyuu(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 10:05:22 PM
MaverickMVII posted...
Oh, okay, in that case guess I'll pick up Wesk/Strider this week then. ;D

D:<
---
#7busyyuu(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 10:53:10 PM
ggs last night guys, a fun time had by all :) I know we had the tourney impromptu considering that a lot of people werenít going to be able to make the weekend, but with the turnout so good, would the weekday be a better time to hold these? Based on how often I see Mav and Jeisson, I believe it would, and then Nailled and Wiki could probably join in as well. Iím always up late, so Iím down, so would that work for you, muten? Perhaps we could try a Friday night sometime (Friday morning for those in the states)?
---
#8mutenroushiPosted 5/5/2012 4:37:07 AM
busyyuu posted...
ggs last night guys, a fun time had by all :) I know we had the tourney impromptu considering that a lot of people werenít going to be able to make the weekend, but with the turnout so good, would the weekday be a better time to hold these? Based on how often I see Mav and Jeisson, I believe it would, and then Nailled and Wiki could probably join in as well. Iím always up late, so Iím down, so would that work for you, muten? Perhaps we could try a Friday night sometime (Friday morning for those in the states)?

Our Friday night would be good for me. Normally I wouldn't be able to make it so late on a regular weekday, though. GGs, all!