How many Reapers are there? (Spoilers)

#1Eureka_Seven_RLPosted 4/16/2012 6:58:13 AM
So if there is primary and secondary relays...Secondary for within the galaxy and primary for a partner relay in potentially another galaxy somewhere is the universe. The Rachnai used a primary relay and came from another galaxy. That leaves the questions how many Reapers are there actually if they can build relays at such a huuuge distance away and are there Reapers that destroy other societies unkown? What's the point of these relays linking out way way away? Do Reapers have the potentia of being everywhere in the universe? If so that would mean there is potentially an uncountable number of Reapers! What does that mean for the species within ME?
---
PSN: crow-sama
watashi no namae ha karaasu desu
#2h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 4/16/2012 7:08:23 AM
Eureka_Seven_RL posted...
So if there is primary and secondary relays...Secondary for within the galaxy and primary for a partner relay in potentially another galaxy somewhere is the universe. The Rachnai used a primary relay and came from another galaxy. That leaves the questions how many Reapers are there actually if they can build relays at such a huuuge distance away and are there Reapers that destroy other societies unkown? What's the point of these relays linking out way way away? Do Reapers have the potentia of being everywhere in the universe? If so that would mean there is potentially an uncountable number of Reapers! What does that mean for the species within ME?

Uh...wut?
---
"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my balls, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding." -ChriSquared222
#3abel13111Posted 4/16/2012 7:08:40 AM
The reapers have been harvesting races for possibly millions of years, and each cycle, they harvest the most technologically or most impressive race and turn it into a sovereign class ship. The rest of the species are either turned into husk-type creatures, or even turned into destroyer vessels.

If you've played the arrival DLC, at the end your screen becomes filled with lights from reaper ships approaching the Milky Way.

To wrap it up, I got no idea...but if they've been harvesting for possibly millions or billions of years, and every 50,000 years they make a new reaper, well you do the math. And we still don't know if they do this in other galaxies!
---
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain
#4SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 4/16/2012 7:16:46 AM
The Derelict Reaper was 37,000,000 years old.
That means there has been a minimum of 740 cycles.
They make one Sovereign-class Reaper per cycle, and make several smaller, Destroyers sized ones (the ones we destroyed in-game in ME3) from other races they can harvest/assimilate. Until Sovereign, it is assumed they had never lost a Sovereign-class Reaper (the IFF mission one was 200m long)...

So...
We're looking at at least 740 Sovereign-class Reapers
And anywhere from 5-10+ per Sovereign-class Reaper...3700-7400.
About 8000 Reapers. However, it is highly likely they have been going on longer than the 37,000,000 years, because there's no way whoever was involved in the "first cycle" had the technology to blast a Reaper out of the sky, or at least, it's HIGHLY unlikely.
---
I. Am. The. New. God. Currently playing : MGSHD/ME3 Currently reading: The King's Fourth World Omnibus Vol1, BB King
#5Eureka_Seven_RL(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 7:21:24 AM
SnuffSevenfoldX posted...
They make one Sovereign-class Reaper per cycle, and make several smaller, Destroyers sized ones (the ones we destroyed in-game in ME3) from other races they can harvest/assimilate. Until Sovereign, it is assumed they had never lost a Sovereign-class Reaper (the IFF mission one was 200m long)...

So...
About 8000 Reapers. However, it is highly likely they have been going on longer than the 37,000,000 years, because there's no way whoever was involved in the "first cycle" had the technology to blast a Reaper out of the sky, or at least, it's HIGHLY unlikely.

O course this could be only the Reapers of our system. Since there is unactivated relays that lead all over the universe apparently, there could be off branches of Reapers hundreds and hundreds of light years away we don't know about.
---
#6SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 4/16/2012 7:22:25 AM
^
Yep...Basically, anywhere from about 8000-10,000 in the Milky Way....
A incomprehensible number (sound familiar :P?) if it's universe wide.
---
I. Am. The. New. God. Currently playing : MGSHD/ME3 Currently reading: The King's Fourth World Omnibus Vol1, BB King
#7cpg2Posted 4/16/2012 7:24:57 AM
SnuffSevenfoldX posted...

So...

Actually, I think it's entirely possible that the early cycles were the ones with the most vulnerability for the Reapers. I mean if technological progress gets more or less reset every time then each cycle should develop similar levels of weapons tech regardless of which iteration they are, but the early cycles might have been given more leeway in terms of timing. Assuming the Reapers learn from their experiences then the early cycles would be the ones in which they're more likely to make a mistake and wait too long to initiate, having less experience about the nature of the response.

That said, given the age of the galaxy you could probably say they've been doing this much longer than that (because if the synthetic takeover is something thought of as inevitable, the civilization that lead to the creation of the Reapers was probably one of the earlier civilizations in the history of the galaxy). And you also might assume that they would have had a relatively large force to start with, because you probably can't carry out the cycle the way they seem to without a relatively large force to mobilize.

So it could be significantly different either way...
#8Eureka_Seven_RL(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 7:25:34 AM
So then what's the purpose of primary relays? That makes me assume they wipe out life all over the universe. ME states that they wake upe and wipe out our system before heading back to dark space to sleep. If they stay in our system why the need for relays that take you potentially all over the universe?
---
#9cpg2Posted 4/16/2012 7:26:28 AM
Primary relays don't lead to other galaxies, they merely lead across large distances within the galaxy.

The only relay that leaves the Milky Way is the Citadel, and even that only leads to dark space just outside the galaxy.