How could Reapers come first?

#1DRX777Posted 12/27/2010 12:54:52 PM
How do the Reapers predate any other race?

Biological life evolves, but mechanical is created. Anyone else think this 'endless cycle' is really just one - Race X built them, got killed, Protheans found them, got killed, Saren found one, etc...

Only way I can rationalize the Reapers being first is if they are the 'gods' of the Mass Effect universe. Which does not sit well at all, IMO, in a Sci Fi...
---
Oh no, there goes Toh-kee-yoh!
http://www.rockband.com/users/Dark_Raven_X
#2VampLordAdamaruPosted 12/27/2010 1:20:45 PM
Biological life evolves, but mechanical is created. Anyone else think this 'endless cycle' is really just one - Race X built them, got killed, Protheans found them, got killed, Saren found one, etc...

I've always assumed that to be the case... That the Reapers pre-date any current civilization, and were built by an ancient race that has died out (or at least disappeared in some way or another). >.>
---
There are no stupid questions... There are, however, a LOT of stupid people...
(Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub) FEAR MY SPORK!!
#3Nicolas_RagePosted 12/27/2010 1:26:43 PM
They state that they are the pinnacle of evolution.

Therefore they evolved.

Evolution takes time.

Therefore they could not have existed at the beginning of the universe.
#4charlessunkystPosted 12/27/2010 1:26:55 PM
I think the Reapers WERE a biological lifeform (possibly even more than one race) that took to cybernetics, and eventually evolved into what we know of today as a Reaper.
#5KingSnake777Posted 12/27/2010 1:28:35 PM
Or the reapers were a bioligical race at some point, one of the first, and turned themselves into these techonorganic ships, and then started the ball rolling. It seems to be hinted at that they "cull" the advanced races every 50,000 years or so for resorces and to reproduce. Which, could also make since when you think about what Harbenger keeps saying, them being our salvation through distruction. They make a "human" reaper, and humainty survives, so to speak, as a reaper, into the forseeable future. Hell, they may think they are doing us all a favor. heh. Kind of like the borg.... >.>

---
If you can't learn to do something well... learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
#6ericzigPosted 12/27/2010 1:43:23 PM
Don’t mistake what the “character” said vs. what actually happens in the ME universe. “Characters” will say things that may or may not be true. It is what the character believes at that point and time in the story.

The Reapers may actually believe they came first but that does not make it true. They may just be arrogant and as far as they are concerned the “lesser” races do not deserve any respect.

Don’t take every little thing stated in a story by characters as the gospel like Star Wars fans do.
#7JustDavePosted 12/27/2010 1:48:06 PM
I kind of think the Reapers were created like the Geth. They just got smarter and stronger and they destroyed the race that created them. I think that is how the cycle started.
---
| Xbox Live - Dave Adkins | PSN/Steam - justdave1987 |
| Wii Number - 8099 2551 2735 9454 |
#8SepewrathPosted 12/27/2010 1:56:02 PM
You simply assume that is the method of evolution because Earth is all you have to go on, buts its a big universe out there and evolution is a mystery. Optimus Prime could be out there for all we know lol. Life is a mish mash of molecules thrown together, generally believed in a liquid environment, life could evolve in a methane ocean and it would be far different from what evolved in the water on Earth. Its entirely possible that they have always been the way they are now, while its mechanical to everyone else, it would just be normal for them.
#9RumJungleJuicePosted 12/27/2010 2:14:41 PM
You simply assume that is the method of evolution because Earth is all you have to go on, buts its a big universe out there and evolution is a mystery.

Well, yeah... but isn't mechanical "life," in the end, just an approximation of organic life?
---
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - HP Lovecraft
#10FZATMOIPosted 12/27/2010 3:14:20 PM
We have a very narrow view of what life is. We know how it works here but that's about it. I assume you read about that bacteria they recently made that lived on arsenic or something? Life on other planets could be completely different than here, and life in another galaxy might be like nothing we could imagine.

---
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers