Geth, Quarians, and Rewriting/Destroying

#1MathMattSPosted 6/4/2011 9:02:22 PM

Hi all!

One thing came to mind while reading another topic on this forum.

In Mass Effect 2, if you chose to rewrite the heretic Geth on Heretic Station, it makes me think that could cause problems in ME3, since it has been said that the Quarians will be trying to re-take their homeworld from the Geth. I can foresee Shepard having to choose a side, especially if both Tali and Legion are loyal to him in your import save game.

Another question-- how do you think the Quarian assault on the geth-controlled homeworld will pan out? As it stands right now, unless the Quarians get other races to do their frontline fighting, develop a super antibiotic which destroys all infection from wounds sustained in combat, or another major source of help, the Geth will slaughter the Quarians.

#2MathMattS(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2011 9:03:48 PM

Or, unless of course, Shepard convinces the Quarians to stop the assault or the Geth to give up the Quarian homeworld peacefully.

#3mudkip72Posted 6/4/2011 9:07:14 PM
Realistically the quarians don't stand a chance at fighting the geth. They have century old tin cans for ships that hold their civilian population, they just can't fight.
---
I am error! Press any key to restart! System may be busy or melting into slag
404 Computer Hamsters not found Threat Level Upgraded to Jelly Roll 1! -Fracktail
#4CharmilePosted 6/4/2011 9:30:56 PM(edited)
mudkip72 posted...
Realistically the quarians don't stand a chance at fighting the geth. They have century old tin cans for ships that hold their civilian population, they just can't fight.

NOT SO FAST

After reading the novel Ascension. Tali and Lemm'Shal nar Tesleya, are both capable fighters, well-trained for ground combat, especially with shotguns; I'm sure there are many capable infantry in the quarians, they're just not ready right now. Like Tali said, if one bullet could really kill a quarian, then the race would have been extinct long ago, they have measure to counter the stigma. Besides, if Krogans call you tough, you have to think that they are battle-hardened.

The quarian are the Mon-Calamari equivalent in the ME universe, they are masters of ship to ship combat, plus they are masters of improvisation and implementation of technology, notable exception is the geth, but for the most part they are masters of it.
---
And that was the Hammer of Dawn
#5Tbx66Posted 6/4/2011 9:37:54 PM
Come on, another Quarian/Geth topic? It's like you people doing it on purpose.

1. Shepard if you don't consider his friendship with Tali, would be pretty stupid to side with the Quarians. The geth can be valuable allies(except of course the danger of them getting brainwashed again.) The Quarians have no value whatsoever. Supposedly, they have the biggest fleet in the Galaxy, but that's an exaggeration(as everything in Quarian standards. One example, their marines. Conrad Verner who's a piece of **** is better than hundred of them. I am not even talking about a bad*** human marine, hell i am not even talking about Shepard). If they really had any power, they would have found and colonize an uncharted world, without caring what anyone might do or think(the rest of the Galaxy already thinks the worst), or better yet, they would have taken back their planet.

2. Putting aside your personal feelings, it's obvious that realistically the Geth would win every time in a fight. Tc said the geth would slaughter the Quarians if they decided to go to war. The truth is, the geth have slaughtered the Quarians every time they have met. Look at what happened at Tali's recruitment mission? A lot of dead bodies along the way. Tali would be there too if it wasn't for Shepard. Look at what happened at her loyalty mission. They tried to take back their ship and failed. Their next solution was to destroy it. And to remind you, there were a handful of geth, no wonder they Quarian marines failed.
---
"You assume i give a damn. That's cute."
#6dragnhuntr666Posted 6/4/2011 9:53:27 PM
I know my Shepards' choices will be simple....A peaceful solution for both sides, cause I can't lose either groups. Problem solved, but if a choice had to be made, Well......I won't know till the game comes out. :P
---
"Ah yes, Reapers, we have dismissed that... what the hell is that thing flying towards us?"
#7CharmilePosted 6/4/2011 11:33:20 PM(edited)
Sorry for cutting your quotes short, but I ran out of characters.
Tbx66 posted...
Come on, another Quarian/Geth topic? It's like you people doing it on purpose.

2. Putting aside your personal feelings, it's obvious that realistically the Geth would win every time in a fight. Tc said the geth would slaughter the Quarians if they decided to go to war. The truth is, the geth have slaughtered the Quarians every time they have met. Look at what happened at Tali's recruitment mission? A lot of

1. Power only helps if you believe that you have it. You don't think 500+ years of the rest of the galaxy saying "shame on you for making the 'robots will take over' fear a relaity" hasn't caused a major depression among the quarian species. Those Turians were idiotic: "Hi we have one of the largest fleets in the galaxy and one of the most disciplined armies as well, but we can't help you quarian, because we're scared of robots" cowards, except Garrus. Tali did her best to prove the quarian worth to the galaxy, but the rest still won't believe until they redeem themselves in the only way they believe will; the retaking of Rannoch.
And when has Conrad Verner ever proven his combat skills; he's basically all talk with no backing in his cries he's a wuss in comparison. Now if you had said Captain Bailey, that I could buy. The rest of the galaxy recognizes the quarian potential; it is just their own doubt in themselves that has been holding them back.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Conrad_Verner if you don't believe me on Conrad's lack of training.

2. If nothing changed in the galaxy between ME2 and ME3, I'd agree with you, however several things will happen in ME3.
A. Admiral Xen discovered Rael's research on the Alarei, which will provide some insight for the quarians to take control of the geth, or at least find some way to combat them. She will act on this research and joins Neema's war party in order to reclaim the geth.

B. Tali's involvement with saving the galaxy not once, but twice will surely inspire the Fleet to take action against the geth, or hopefully take Shepard's suggestion ande the fleet and upgrade their vessels to combat the Reapers. They have the potential, they just need to pick themselves up and get it done.

C. Of course having what could be the most powerful human biotic in history, Gillian, doesn't hurt the quarian's chances with the geth either.

And the slaughtering instances, all acts of surprise and overconfidence on the quarians' part.
First war: Quarians overestimated the geth intelligence to effectively combat, and assumed that the hive mind did not increase their intelligence.
Tali recruitment: Do you really expect the recon/research team to survive a full-scale combat scenario? The Haelstrom operation was supposed to be a simple "get-in get-out" mission before the geth arrived, they knew the risk, just underestimated the heretic geth's tracking capabilities.
Tali loyalty: again they underestimated the geth's ability to link and improve each other, despite the small pieces Tali sent back. They knew the risks, but they pushed the boundaries so all quarians could return home some day.

So I believe willpower is a major driving force in a species survival, I sympathize with the quarian values of loyalty and altruism, does that really detract from my points that much? There's always a chance for the impossible to happen, Shepard's built a career out of it. Realistically, Shepard should've died on Eden Prime, but in ME realistic is kicked out the door. You said it yourself, I'm a trooper, I fight for the unexpected results, the ones that go against the grain, but also bring perspective to make the argument seem less than one-sided, it's what I try my best to do.

But I do agree that this topic didn't need to be addressed a second time, SpankyMagoo did a good enough job of it already.
---
And that was the Hammer of Dawn
#8Tbx66Posted 6/5/2011 12:00:16 AM(edited)
I mentioned Conrad Verner as an example. Because he is nobody, and because i couldn't think of a more useless character in Me universe, But still, even him is better than every Quarian you might think of. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me about him or give me any links to read. I've played Me 11 times and Me2 18 times. So i know exactly what i am talking about, i might exaggerate a little bit, but there's a reason for it. Remember that the next time you may think i am confused or something. No offense, but i won't be that kind.

About the rest, we obviously aren't going to agree, so why even bother. It's not like i'm interested in getting into a debate with anybody anyway. You believe what you want to believe. I believe nothing has changed. Quarians are ******* who have been hiding away for over 300 years to be more specific and are not capable of doing anything to change their fate. Someone must do it for them. See, you are not the only one with access in Me wiki. I appreciate the history lesson though, even though i've read it all before countless times.
---
"You assume i give a damn. That's cute."
#9DesaimaPosted 6/5/2011 4:02:35 AM
So why engage in the topic?

I personally think the Geth are fine for the Quarians to take back their homeworld if they wanted to, but the Quarians are so fixated in destroying the Geth they don't seem to realise this. All this time the Geth have been defensive and have tidied the old battlegrounds on the Quarian home world. The Quarians don't have the finesse or muscle to take on the Geth so are digging their own graves until they try negotiation. The Geth can adapt to whatever the Quarians will try provided the weapon isn't a total destruction of them.
---
GT: Look up and to the left a little.
#10sk00pPosted 6/5/2011 4:43:15 AM
MathMattS posted...
Hi all!One thing came to mind while reading another topic on this forum.In Mass Effect 2, if you chose to rewrite the heretic Geth on Heretic Station, it makes me think that could cause problems in ME3, since it has been said that the Quarians will be trying to re-take their homeworld from the Geth. I can foresee Shepard having to choose a side, especially if both Tali and Legion are loyal to him in your import save game.Another question-- how do you think the Quarian assault on the geth-controlled homeworld will pan out? As it stands right now, unless the Quarians get other races to do their frontline fighting, develop a super antibiotic which destroys all infection from wounds sustained in combat, or another major source of help, the Geth will slaughter the Quarians.

If they was fighting in there homeworld wouldnt they be able to not get infections
---
[[ TimeSplittersFaithful ]]