level cap of 60, what's the point?

#1darkace77450Posted 9/19/2011 6:22:29 PM
I can't help but feel, and I might be wrong (I'm not) that the level cap being raised back to 60 is solely for the "that a boy" effect.

Many players today feel a game isn't worth playing unless they get a constant and steady chain of "that a boy"s...pats on the back in the form of never-ending streams of "Congratulations! You've gained a level!" visual effects flashing across the screen accompanied by fanfare.

Of course these meaningless rewards are nothing to today's player without an arbitrary stat or skill upgrade. So instead of upgrading your combat skill 4 times, each time increasing damage done by 5%, you get 20 upgrades with each upgrade increasing damage done by 1%. All to appease the players the shallower players amongst us.

And of course the "that a boy" effect is usually paired with "big number syndrome". BNS is the effect that players feel special when they deal large amounts of damage to an enemy. For example, Mario has an attack that deals 1 point of damage to a goomba, which has 10 points of health. That works perfectly fine. But for some reason there is, sadly, a large population of gamer that feels much better when their Mario deals 100 damage to a goomba; even if the goomba now has 1000 points of health.

I was hoping BW wouldn't trend towards tailoring to these types of players, but I can't say I'm surprised that they seem to be doing just that.
#2Carribean_CoolPosted 9/19/2011 6:35:39 PM
it's atta boy not that a boy
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#3SepewrathPosted 9/19/2011 6:36:10 PM
60 levels are back simply because people whined that 60 is better than 30, I wont get into the long winded reasoning for why that makes no sense, I've been over that time and time again. But all in all, it was pointless in ME1, just unnecessary padding and it will likely be the same in ME3.
#4Flash2BeasleyPosted 9/19/2011 6:44:27 PM
Someone else just like you would be talking about them catering to casuals by cutting down levels to 15 and allowing less control over your character's development.

This board is trash with all the whiners on it.
#5Ruthac_ArusPosted 9/19/2011 6:52:58 PM
More levels = the player has a lot more points to invest into skills. A complaint about ME2 was the very pick-and-choose nature of skills, having to completely give up using one skill so squad mates could have a decent complement of powers, and that there wasn't much customization available in those power stacks (can't really call 'em trees, since they only branch once). By upping the level cap, the characters can be more versatile by purchasing/upgrading more powers in total, as well as having more options for customization and character skill set differentiation, by having more power evolutions than just the 4th level.

Have you seen any of the skills screens from the ME3 demos thus far, TC? I haven't really looked at the available ones too closely, but in the Sentinel tree linked below, evolving(?) the Tech armor for a 100% increase to both blast damage and radius seems a bit more than getting "20 upgrades with each upgrade increasing damage done by 1%". And that's just one of several possible evolutions.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/me3%20skills/kregano/Mass%2520Effect/sentinelpowers.jpg
---
"Less talking and more going away!" -Sarda the Sage
http://ruthac-arus.deviantart.com/gallery (Now with 100% more Midna =P)
#6OximofoPosted 9/19/2011 6:56:58 PM(edited)
Flash2Beasley posted...
Someone else just like you would be talking about them catering to casuals by cutting down levels to 15 and allowing less control over your character's development.

This board is trash with all the whiners on it.

Except a lot of table based RPGs only allow you to get to 20.

So gaining levels are usually at a boys or a way to scale player power.

Also power trees where really only popularized since diablo 2. Bioware has made RPGs before Blizzard used them. They probably like doing their own thing. So them not using skill trees is a purposeful exclusion.
---
Legendary Loser GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
http://i53.tinypic.com/2969fq.jpg
#7CharmilePosted 9/19/2011 7:21:46 PM
I love the fact that the bsn page confirms the 60 cap, but the links that confirm the info, aren't found on the server at all. >_>

IMO it makes some sense that the cap is sixty, as it give new and old players replay value and provides veterans, with a chance to grow their characters, without reaching the level cap at a quarter-way through the game.
---
And that was the Hammer of Dawn
#8OximofoPosted 9/19/2011 7:24:08 PM
Charmile posted...
I love the fact that the bsn page confirms the 60 cap, but the links that confirm the info, aren't found on the server at all. >_>

IMO it makes some sense that the cap is sixty, as it give new and old players replay value and provides veterans, with a chance to grow their characters, without reaching the level cap at a quarter-way through the game.

Because you know how lvls are gained? Lvl cap is number, how you get there is game design.
---
Legendary Loser GT: Oximofo9 PSN: oximofo9
http://i53.tinypic.com/2969fq.jpg
#9Jeff ZeroPosted 9/19/2011 7:25:20 PM
Ruthac_Arus said my piece.
---
"Mr. Paris, I assume you've had a great deal of experience being rejected by women." ~SCP~
http://img.imgcake.com/Jeffzeropngus.png
#10CharmilePosted 9/19/2011 7:33:09 PM
Oximofo posted...
Because you know how lvls are gained? Lvl cap is number, how you get there is game design.

No I don't know, that's why it's my opinion, from what we do know that imports that don't change class do not get reset to level one, so we could guess that imports get perks of starting at level 30 with the basic powers unlocked.

I would expect that they scale exp based on each Shepard's level in order to make it more challenging for each player, but I don't know.
---
And that was the Hammer of Dawn