From Reddit: SomethingAwful Inside Info + Analysis of Writers *ENDING SPOILERS*

#11po_0lPosted 3/9/2012 6:47:37 PM
Forever Shadowed posted...
outlawstar289 posted...
Definitely thought dark matter was going to have something to do with the Reapers, though that doesn't explain why every race big civilization every 50k years decided "okay time to blow ourselves up, become machines and harness the force of dark energy"

Maybe to let other organics flourish and see if they had what it takes to stop dark energy? That could be why they give them the citadel and relays - to jumpstart these species so they can grow faster and the reapers can better see if they can stop dark energy.

But yes .... that would have been a good ending. Something bigger than the reapers, something foreshadowed FROM DAY ONE. Something fascinating.

instead we get "synthetics kill organics so organics cant create synthetics that kill organics"
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

i dont see how "synthetics kill organics to save them from big bad voodoo" is any better.

not necessarily saying that it wouldve been bad, my point is if you present it as such anything can sound pathetic.
#12po_0lPosted 3/9/2012 6:48:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

i know what it is in the real world. obviously it isnt threatening to envelope us or anything like that in our universe. what does it do? why is it a threat??
#13Forever ShadowedPosted 3/9/2012 6:49:30 PM
outlawstar289 posted...
outlawstar289 posted...
Definitely thought dark matter was going to have something to do with the Reapers, though that doesn't explain why every race big civilization every 50k years decided "okay time to blow ourselves up, become machines and harness the force of dark energy"

Maybe to let other organics flourish and see if they had what it takes to stop dark energy? That could be why they give them the citadel and relays - to jumpstart these species so they can grow faster and the reapers can better see if they can stop dark energy.

But yes .... that would have been a good ending. Something bigger than the reapers, something foreshadowed FROM DAY ONE. Something fascinating.

instead we get "synthetics kill organics so organics cant create synthetics that kill organics"

Then people would've moaned how it ripped off other sci-fi series where the big bad guys were actually in the service of/fleeing from something EVEN BIGGER DUN DUN DUN.

Dont underestimate us, all we wanted was a intelligent ending that tied into the rest of this serious.
---
#14Cactus11(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2012 6:50:11 PM
I actually have incentive now, personally, to revisit mass effect 2 because I forgot all about the dark energy. This ending sounds, to me, great. It obviously would have been touched up more, had the original team been a part of the process from start to finish.
---
drointhewind :Now before I start I am not a sexist, I own a wife
#15BTzzPosted 3/9/2012 6:50:15 PM
So much ****ing better
---
Xbox 360 GT: Ian Bits
#16Forever ShadowedPosted 3/9/2012 6:50:17 PM
WOW. I love this ending even more:

As galaxies approach the point of crossing this cosmological event horizon, the light from them will become more and more redshifted, to the point where the wavelength becomes too large to detect in practice and the galaxies appear to disappear completely[41][42] (see Future of an expanding universe#Galaxies outside the Local Supercluster are no longer detectable). The Earth, the Milky Way and the Virgo supercluster, however, would remain virtually undisturbed while the rest of the universe recedes and disappears from view. In this scenario, the local supercluster would ultimately suffer heat death, just as was thought for the flat, matter-dominated universe, before measurements of cosmic acceleration.

There are some very speculative ideas about the future of the universe. One suggests that phantom energy causes divergent expansion, which would imply that the effective force of dark energy continues growing until it dominates all other forces in the universe. Under this scenario, dark energy would ultimately tear apart all gravitationally bound structures, including galaxies and solar systems, and eventually overcome the electrical and nuclear forces to tear apart atoms themselves, ending the universe in a "Big Rip". On the other hand, dark energy might dissipate with time, or even become attractive. Such uncertainties leave open the possibility that gravity might yet rule the day and lead to a universe that contracts in on itself in a "Big Crunch". Some scenarios, such as the cyclic model suggest this could be the case. It is also possible the universe may never have an end and continue in its present state forever (see Ludwig Boltzmann#The Second Law as a law of disorder). While these ideas are not supported by observations, they are not ruled out.

---
#17Forever ShadowedPosted 3/9/2012 6:51:11 PM
po_0l posted...

outlawstar289 posted...Definitely thought dark matter was going to have something to do with the Reapers, though that doesn't explain why every race big civilization every 50k years decided "okay time to blow ourselves up, become machines and harness the force of dark energy"Maybe to let other organics flourish and see if they had what it takes to stop dark energy? That could be why they give them the citadel and relays - to jumpstart these species so they can grow faster and the reapers can better see if they can stop dark energy.But yes .... that would have been a good ending. Something bigger than the reapers, something foreshadowed FROM DAY ONE. Something fascinating.instead we get "synthetics kill organics so organics cant create synthetics that kill organics"---If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

i dont see how "synthetics kill organics to save them from big bad voodoo" is any better.

not necessarily saying that it wouldve been bad, my point is if you present it as such anything can sound pathetic.

Not sure what you mean. Are you agreeing with me?

What I am saying is this ending sounds great and I didnt like the ending in the game
---
#18po_0lPosted 3/9/2012 6:51:40 PM
Carter 2020 posted...
This is now canon in my head. I can happily ignore the Catalyst/endings as these only happen in the last 5 minutes anyway, the rest of the game makes (relative) sense.
---
"You know what I hope is in space? Fire. I hope you go to space and catch on fire."

oh yes. i thought the reason the ending sucked was because all your choices supposedly came to nothing but now somehow, ANYTHING thats different makes it ok. and once its in your hands youre gonna complain .
#19WstonefiPosted 3/9/2012 6:51:40 PM
I'm not sure that ending would have been much better, tbh. It's very similar to the ending we got, except replacing "technological singularity" with "dark energy." Dark energy makes slightly more sense because it avoids the circular logic stupidity, but it still diminishes the "cosmic horror" aspect of the reapers by assigning them a motivation that we humans can easily understand.

I would have preferred it if the reapers' motivation and origins remained a complete mystery. They're much scarier when you don't know what they are or where they come from.
#20outlawstar289Posted 3/9/2012 6:52:04 PM

Dont underestimate us, all we wanted was a intelligent ending that tied into the rest of this serious.

Oh I agree. I'm not defending the ending as it stands. I'm just saying gamers are almost impossible to please, and combined with BioWare's recent downward spiral, it's unlikely something satisfactory to the fans and devs would be made.
---
Army National Guard 2008-Present
GT: Commando GMC