From Reddit: SomethingAwful Inside Info + Analysis of Writers *ENDING SPOILERS*

#271olliebalolliePosted 3/14/2012 4:44:31 PM
po_0l posted...
what is dark energy and how does harvesting races into cthulhu ships prevent it from spreading? is there more detail in the thread?

Scientist don't know what is the actual starting point of the universe,beside that our universe may come from a another universe = multiplex = string theory. Within each universe has its own laws, which was vital to creation of "The Big Bang". Now since everything is created from particles (even matter) dark energy is the hypothetical form of energy which accelerates and expands the universe. An expanding universe is BAD for EVERYBODY. Sources:

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

* BBC - Horizon*
* History Channel - The Universe*
* Science Channel - Through the Wormhole
#272vega2505Posted 3/14/2012 7:31:18 PM
I think the best explanation for the whole "We're killing you so you don't kill yourselves" thing is like this:

The Catalyst is an advanced AI created by organics in another galaxy...it's kind wiped out all life in their galaxy...so they had time to think and decided that they would go to our galaxy and prevent this from happening by making the Citadel and Mass Relays to control us and ascend us to Reapers to then repeat the process, thus keeping organic life going.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#273Cactus11(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2012 3:45:36 PM
vega2505 posted...
I think the best explanation for the whole "We're killing you so you don't kill yourselves" thing is like this:

The Catalyst is an advanced AI created by organics in another galaxy...it's kind wiped out all life in their galaxy...so they had time to think and decided that they would go to our galaxy and prevent this from happening by making the Citadel and Mass Relays to control us and ascend us to Reapers to then repeat the process, thus keeping organic life going.

This isnt a good explanation because we go another step...outside the galaxy ? Thats speculation. We have no indication that the guy has come from outside the galaxy at all. The real problem is that we dont have any indication into the mind of this thing. We just have to take him at his word, despite having evidence to the contrary....we are working with AI.
---
drointhewind :Now before I start I am not a sexist, I own a wife
#274IdTheDemonPosted 3/15/2012 3:54:47 PM
Yea it would have been awesome to pick up on the hint from Tali's mission about dark energy.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/ceejay/advanced
#275ShagsterPPosted 3/16/2012 1:52:29 AM
Honestly, why did we need an explanation at all? None of the games have been focused on unraveling the mysteries of the universe, other than presenting theories and arguments. In the first two games, you are presented with tangible problems, real threats, and situations you can grasp. And at their ends, you reap the rewards or consequences of your choices along the way. In ME3, they pull the "truth" over our heads, out of our control, and attempt to create an overbearing way to wrap everything up.

The problem is, it isn't needed. The Reapers do not have to be 100% explained for you to be terrified of them and want to survive and/or be victorious over them. Your motivations are provided well enough by the characters at your side and the events taking place, not the need for all the answers of the universe.

ME3 could have been exactly the same. Why could they not just allow us to strive for victory at whatever cost we created and then witness a long epilogue of multiple custom scenes sewn together that form our own personal ending that we built throughout the course of three games? Whether Shepard lives or dies, you would witness the outcome of surviving races and characters, see the result of your chosen romance, and everything else pertaining to major (and some minor) decisions throughout. Then, after the credits, you get something that winks and nods at the larger motives of the Reapers, whatever it may be.

Hell, that would've set up endgame DLC I'd be interested in, with a grandiose mission years later that has Shepard hunting down a clue to the Reapers' origins and allowing the story its sweet time to be told rather than shoving it down your throat via a railroaded in-game ending...