Anyone else a bit... wary of the ending? (Spoilers, obviously.)

#1Spartan647Posted 3/10/2012 7:06:21 AM
Let's get this out here and now.
I'm pretty sure it was all a dream.

There! Sounds like a crazy cop-out, or me desperately clinging to any sort of rationale to excuse *that* abomination... But let's think about this for just a moment.

While running to the Citadel's beam in London, you get hit by Harbinger. Knocked flat-out. You wake up, groggy as ever, but still stumble back towards the beam. Only... now your gun never needs a new thermal clip. Hm.

Probably just a gameplay/story segregation, right? Moving on!

You get to the Citadel, with the beam transporting you into a hallway filled with bodies. And it's about 100 feet of straight walking to reach the "control room". But Anderson beat you there. Even though you woke up alone, and he claims to have "followed you" into the beam.

Come to think of it, where *did* he come from? There's, uh... No other exits to that room, I'm pretty sure. What is going on with this ending?

Oh hey. It's TIM. We all knew he'd pop up again, didn't we? But wait. I came from a hallway that was a dead-end filled with bodies. Only two ways in there; from the Control Room, and the beam. On Earth. WHY ARE YOU HERE?!

Ugh, fine. Shoot the bastard. There. He's dead. Problem solved. Activate the Crucible. Mission done. All in a day's work, right Anderson?

... Anderson?
Oh, for the love of... Okay, he's dead too. No problem. We did it. That's all that ma-... But wait! The Crucible isn't firing! Crawl for the button, Shep! Crawl, I say!!!

Oh, it's too far. Luckily, I pass out right on the one Elevator to Space Heaven! Wait a tick. Am I in space? With no helmet? And... Oh, **** me, it's you. What are you doing here, Vent Boy? What's that? I can't win? You want me to kill myself to knock up the galaxy with synthetics or... kill myself to control them?

Why do I feel like that is the same deal that Saren was offered?
Synthesis- Shepard dies. Everyone becomes Squishy-Robots.
Control- Shepard dies, becoming one with the Reapers.
Hm. Those two... seem very ambiguous, considering that they're coming from what is essentially the boss of the Reapers.
Oh, hey! I can destroy them too! But... Shepard still dies. And so does EDI. And the Geth. Not a very attractive option. I guess I'll go with the other tw-... HANG ON A SECOND.

If I choose destroy, doesn't the Citadel go boom? And... if I'm ready enough with war assets, doesn't Shepard breathe in a bonus cut-scene, buried under rubble?
How would that be possible on the Citadel? Considering it gets destroyed... quite badly, I have a hard time believing there would still be any air there. And the last fall from orbit killed Sheps. Cybernetics or no, I don't think it'd be possible.

... Wasn't there the exact same tone of rubble in London?
Bioware, you clever monkeys. You just meta-indoctrinated 2/3rds of your fanbase.
Well played, you trolls.
---
So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter... A Snark Knight.
#2vNocturnEvPosted 3/10/2012 7:18:58 AM
Spartan647 posted...
Let's get this out here and now.
I'm pretty sure it was all a dream.

There! Sounds like a crazy cop-out, or me desperately clinging to any sort of rationale to excuse *that* abomination... But let's think about this for just a moment.

While running to the Citadel's beam in London, you get hit by Harbinger. Knocked flat-out. You wake up, groggy as ever, but still stumble back towards the beam. Only... now your gun never needs a new thermal clip. Hm.

Probably just a gameplay/story segregation, right? Moving on!

You get to the Citadel, with the beam transporting you into a hallway filled with bodies. And it's about 100 feet of straight walking to reach the "control room". But Anderson beat you there. Even though you woke up alone, and he claims to have "followed you" into the beam.

Come to think of it, where *did* he come from? There's, uh... No other exits to that room, I'm pretty sure. What is going on with this ending?

Oh hey. It's TIM. We all knew he'd pop up again, didn't we? But wait. I came from a hallway that was a dead-end filled with bodies. Only two ways in there; from the Control Room, and the beam. On Earth. WHY ARE YOU HERE?!

Ugh, fine. Shoot the bastard. There. He's dead. Problem solved. Activate the Crucible. Mission done. All in a day's work, right Anderson?

... Anderson?
Oh, for the love of... Okay, he's dead too. No problem. We did it. That's all that ma-... But wait! The Crucible isn't firing! Crawl for the button, Shep! Crawl, I say!!!

Oh, it's too far. Luckily, I pass out right on the one Elevator to Space Heaven! Wait a tick. Am I in space? With no helmet? And... Oh, **** me, it's you. What are you doing here, Vent Boy? What's that? I can't win? You want me to kill myself to knock up the galaxy with synthetics or... kill myself to control them?

Why do I feel like that is the same deal that Saren was offered?
Synthesis- Shepard dies. Everyone becomes Squishy-Robots.
Control- Shepard dies, becoming one with the Reapers.
Hm. Those two... seem very ambiguous, considering that they're coming from what is essentially the boss of the Reapers.
Oh, hey! I can destroy them too! But... Shepard still dies. And so does EDI. And the Geth. Not a very attractive option. I guess I'll go with the other tw-... HANG ON A SECOND.

If I choose destroy, doesn't the Citadel go boom? And... if I'm ready enough with war assets, doesn't Shepard breathe in a bonus cut-scene, buried under rubble?
How would that be possible on the Citadel? Considering it gets destroyed... quite badly, I have a hard time believing there would still be any air there. And the last fall from orbit killed Sheps. Cybernetics or no, I don't think it'd be possible.

... Wasn't there the exact same tone of rubble in London?
Bioware, you clever monkeys. You just meta-indoctrinated 2/3rds of your fanbase.
Well played, you trolls.

I just realized that you make a VERY good argument towards the rubble. Did not expect that.
#3coachconstantPosted 3/10/2012 7:23:53 AM
Clever. Amusing. A hell of a lot more palatable than other explanations.

Bioware can still kiss my a**.
#4Spartan647(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2012 7:24:20 AM
vNocturnEv posted...

I just realized that you make a VERY good argument towards the rubble. Did not expect that.

Thanks. ^_^ I only thought about it once my friend beat the game, since I wasn't "ready" enough to stay alive. I was like, "WHAT?!!?!" and rushed to see it on Youtube, and considering I had just watch the Citadel blow apart not ten minutes beforehand... It certainly made me scratch my head.

It's actually being brought up quite a bit now on BSN threads, so I must not be the only one. =D
---
So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter... A Snark Knight.
#5ZaerekPosted 3/10/2012 7:26:26 AM
So if your explanation's right [and I'm saying I think it is, judging by the very strong evidence here], does that mean that what's actually going on right now is that Shepard's just now waking up and...still heading towards the Crucible?

What a cliffhanger. O_O
#6vNocturnEvPosted 3/10/2012 7:27:41 AM
Spartan647 posted...
vNocturnEv posted...

Thanks. ^_^ I only thought about it once my friend beat the game, since I wasn't "ready" enough to stay alive. I was like, "WHAT?!!?!" and rushed to see it on Youtube, and considering I had just watch the Citadel blow apart not ten minutes beforehand... It certainly made me scratch my head.

It's actually being brought up quite a bit now on BSN threads, so I must not be the only one. =D

This makes a lot of sense since they didn't explain the ending yet, which may be because they are waiting to see if anyone figured it out. It makes sense, since of course there is plotholes with how the crew got on the normandy and landed in a jungle paradise after being on earth 5 minutes prior. And if the citadel blew up, it would of probably landed into earths atmosphere and burned up, including his body.

And the rubble doesn't look mechanical, its all cement like the ground he was running on when harbinger shot him
#7soulunison2Posted 3/10/2012 7:28:57 AM

So if your explanation's right [and I'm saying I think it is, judging by the very strong evidence here], does that mean that what's actually going on right now is that Shepard's just now waking up and...still heading towards the Crucible?

What a cliffhanger. O_O

I think that means he never actually got there. >_>
#8Lord of NightmaresPosted 3/10/2012 7:29:03 AM
Why did you create this exact same topic in the PC ME3 board as well?
#9Spartan647(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2012 7:32:09 AM(edited)
Zaerek posted...

What a cliffhanger. O_O

Essentially. Only by choosing Destroy does Shepard actually have the resolve to keep fighting, whereas the other two choices are compromising. It's stated that all three will kill Shepard... but he can only actually survive by taking the one that is the "worst" of the three?

Again, this is exactly what I imagine happened to Saren. Compromise was made to be attractive, and he fell for it. And so did Sheps, 2/3rds of the time. =(

Lord of Nightmares posted...
Why did you create this exact same topic in the PC ME3 board as well?

More input? Not everyone visits both, and each has a somewhat distinct community.
---
#10vNocturnEvPosted 3/10/2012 7:34:20 AM
You seriously just made my day. I was so depressed and let down by the ending that I now can rest easy at least thinking you are right and bioware just pulled the craziest troll in history.