What the heck is Dark Energy and the Dark Energy Ending?

#11SepewrathPosted 3/19/2012 12:35:32 PM
Forever Shadowed posted...
Any mention is foreshadowing, which woulda made more sense than the Organic vs Synthetic ending.

And of course non one can honestly make any claims on how the Dark Energy ending would have worked considering it was abandoned early.

There's really only one way it could work, the Reapers are protecting the galaxy from it. Yet they protect the galaxy from it, by having people abuse the very technology that causes it to spread.

They couldn't be trying to harvest it, because there would be no reason to kill anyone to do that.

They couldn't be trying to destroy the universe with it, because again, it would make the cycle pointless. There is just one way to take it and it doesn't make sense, I assume that's why they scrapped it. Essentially the game would have ended in the exact same way, minus probably the green choice.
#12hennethannunPosted 3/19/2012 12:45:31 PM
Dark Energy is something that was given no valuable mention in ME1 and made a passing reference to in ME2. Basically it would have replaced the Organic vs Synthetic thing and been equally as unfulfilling with the addition of being nonsensical.

I have to (once again) disagree with sepewrath. I think the dark energy ending would have been much more fulfilling as the underlying explanation of what the reapers were doing. Yeah, it wasn't much mentioned in ME1, but that's fine because ME1 was about discovering the reapers, ME2 and 3 should have been about discovering WHY they do what they do.

Basically the idea is that use of Eezo creates dark energy that is pushing the universe towards some sort of apocalypse. and the whole reaper cycle was created to slow down the rate of Eezo consumption until a solution could be found.

It still has some holes to be sure, and I admit that part of the attraction of the dark energy theory is that it was presented as both a reason and an explanation, while the singularity ending was/is just presented as a reason (there is no real detail at all), but overall I think it would have been a much better story (I didn't read either leaked script before playing the game, so I can't say one way or the other what I would have done if presented with the DE theory before seeing the singularity theory in the game).
#13SepewrathPosted 3/19/2012 12:52:44 PM
The biggest hole being that the Reapers are the ones responsible for it, making them idiots. Who creates the very problem their trying solve? It would be one thing to create a problem and then try and solve it. Its a whole other thing to continuously compound the problem, for no good reason, while you commit genocide, which is suppose to somehow make it better. Here's the ending

Harbinger: Shepard, your kind bring destruction, we will end you.

Shepard: Couldn't you just take down the relays?

Harbinger:....?

Harbinger *turns to another Reaper* Why didn't you think of that like 50 million years ago?!

Other Reaper: What! I thought you were in charge.

*Shepard walks away shaking their head, credits roll*
#14MEPS3Posted 3/19/2012 12:57:09 PM
Dark Energy is a real phenomenon. Forgive the poor explanation, I'm not a physicist, but as I understand it Dark Energy is an unknown force responsible for increasing the universe's rate of expansion. It's called Dark Energy because based on galactic expansion, red shift, etc. we know it exists (otherwise the rates would be too fast to account for) but no one really knows what it is exactly, although there are theories. Try Wikipedia.
#15TerantatekPosted 3/19/2012 1:02:42 PM
Sepewrath posted...
The biggest hole being that the Reapers are the ones responsible for it, making them idiots. Who creates the very problem their trying solve? It would be one thing to create a problem and then try and solve it. Its a whole other thing to continuously compound the problem, for no good reason, while you commit genocide, which is suppose to somehow make it better. Here's the ending

Harbinger: Shepard, your kind bring destruction, we will end you.

Shepard: Couldn't you just take down the relays?

Harbinger:....?

Harbinger *turns to another Reaper* Why didn't you think of that like 50 million years ago?!

Other Reaper: What! I thought you were in charge.

*Shepard walks away shaking their head, credits roll*

ĪLike
---
I'm what you would call, a modern day Hippie.
Love, Peace, 4:20-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#16Forever ShadowedPosted 3/19/2012 1:08:53 PM
Sepewrath certainly looks to assume and run with it.

You can type however many words you want, the point is the original writers left early and thus the DE ending was never fully developed. Whatever you are talking about is a waste because it is pure speculation. We don't know how the neding woulda shaken out because the writers don't know anymore either.

The point is it sounds cooler, and the simple fact that the original team had the foresight (and skill) to foreshadowed it makes us all feel like it would have been a better ending.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#17lollazersPosted 3/19/2012 1:20:18 PM
hennethannun posted...
Dark Energy is something that was given no valuable mention in ME1 and made a passing reference to in ME2. Basically it would have replaced the Organic vs Synthetic thing and been equally as unfulfilling with the addition of being nonsensical.

I have to (once again) disagree with sepewrath. I think the dark energy ending would have been much more fulfilling as the underlying explanation of what the reapers were doing. Yeah, it wasn't much mentioned in ME1, but that's fine because ME1 was about discovering the reapers, ME2 and 3 should have been about discovering WHY they do what they do.

Basically the idea is that use of Eezo creates dark energy that is pushing the universe towards some sort of apocalypse. and the whole reaper cycle was created to slow down the rate of Eezo consumption until a solution could be found.

It still has some holes to be sure, and I admit that part of the attraction of the dark energy theory is that it was presented as both a reason and an explanation, while the singularity ending was/is just presented as a reason (there is no real detail at all), but overall I think it would have been a much better story (I didn't read either leaked script before playing the game, so I can't say one way or the other what I would have done if presented with the DE theory before seeing the singularity theory in the game).

That ending would've been equally terrible. If you're destroying the universe you can't keep using the mass relays either, so they might as well all explode.

What, are krogan going to start starshippooling with salarians to protect the environment? Hold on while I vomit in my mouth.
#18BriSawPosted 3/19/2012 1:40:31 PM
hennethannun posted...

Actually, this could make since depending on how you run with it.

Suppose that the discovery and use of Eezo was assured to happen when technology advances beyond a certain point on its own, and thus the creation of dark energy was inevitable with the only variance being how much is created by the civilization. It could then be explained that the Reapers (or the civilization that created them and the cycle) guide the technological advancements of the various civilizations so that they create the least amount of dark energy possible, while the Reapers out in dark space attempt to find a permanent solution to the dark energy problem.

However, at a certain point, guiding the civilizations technological advancement becomes more complicated, and there is a higher chance that they would deviate from the path. When it's assured that the civilization would deviate, that's when the Reapers intervene and wipe out all civilizations that have advanced beyond a certain point technologically. That would explain the reason for the genocide that closes out each cycle.

Obviously there would still be quite a few details to hammer out, and this is just solely speculation on my part, but this idea shows that it could at least be explained and worked into the story at some point. Hell, I haven't written anything more complicated than the papers required to graduate high school, and I was able to piece something like this together in just a few minutes of typing. I think people actually paid to come up with stories and explanations for a living could do a better job than me.
---
Gamertag: BeastOfTheDark
Xbox360 100%: 11 games. PS3 100%: 1 game. Other 100%: 9 games. Most Recent 100%: Mass Effect (360)
#19hennethannunPosted 3/19/2012 2:57:13 PM

That ending would've been equally terrible. If you're destroying the universe you can't keep using the mass relays either, so they might as well all explode.

What, are krogan going to start starshippooling with salarians to protect the environment? Hold on while I vomit in my mouth.

I disagree. that was the original reason that the mass effect relays were destroyed in the ending. I think it was an attempt to create a bittersweet ending where there was victory, but only a significant cost. I think the original choice was to either take control of the reapers and let the cycle continue (the ruthless calculus option), or destroy the relay network AND the reapers to 'solve' the problem at a terrible cost, or to destroy the reapers entirely and trust the races of the galaxy to build an alternative solution. I think that's a MUCH better suite of options that what we finally got.

In the actual game, we still have to destroy the network but now there's no explanation whatsoever as to why it's necessary (except that the starchild says so), and it's necessary in ALL the possible endings.

I didn't read the leaked scripts last year and didn't participate in that whole discussion, but I think it would be really sad if people complaining about that ending in the first draft freaked bioware out and pushed them to switch to the stupid singularity ending instead.
#20Macbeth308Posted 3/19/2012 3:07:11 PM
I agree with this. In fact, when I imagine renegade Shepard taking control of the Reapers in order to slow the advance of dark energy he could choose to harvest whoever/whatever he wanted.... I.E. Harvesting all non-human races so that humanity would have more time to invent a solution to the dark energy problem without any of the other races polluting the environment.

Seems like the brutally pragmatic choice that renegade shep was made to make.