The Catalyst's circular logic actually makes complete sense. *Spoilers*

#1imthestuntmanPosted 3/22/2012 5:30:37 PM
I don't understand how people point to this as being such a major plot point. It actually completely explains the reasoning behind the reapers. Please just allow me to explain before you say I am wrong.

*Spoilers*

as you are probably aware the catalyst's presented logic for why the reapers destroy organic life is to prevent organic life from being destroyed by synthetic life.

This makes complete and total sense if you view it as that. The reapers destroy all advanced races along with synthetics before the synthetics can be advanced to the point where they can destroy all organic life. Think about it. Only the organic life with the potential to produce synthetic life that is a threat to the continued existence of organic life is destroyed. The reapers destroying the current advanced organic life ensures that synthetic life will never advance to the point where all organic life can be wiped out. So by destroying advanced races the future of organic life is all but ensured. If left unchecked it would be more than possible for synthetics to eventually destroy all life due to their ability (if the Geth had decided to destroy the Quarians and all other life.) Look at it this way: all organic life can really only be wiped out once with everything taken over to the point where no more organics can develop. The reapers stop this scenario from ever occurring.

So the reapers serve a vital function. They make complete and total extinction of organic life impossible. The survival of any race through a reaper form is irrelevant to this. New reapers are needed every cycle to replenish destroyed ones. The reapers aren't meant to indefinitely preserve a species. They merely seek to preserve organic life as a whole.

If this logic is used than it is in my opinion not only a very logical reason for the reaper's existence, but in a sense an altruistic one on the part of the creators. Do i think that it is morally right? That is up for debate. But sacrificing a limitless number of lives so that there will always be future lives doesn't seem all that far fetched or even horrible to me.

Well hopefully you read that whole thing and at least gave it some thought if you hadn't considered this before. If not... Well i guess that is fine too...

If anyone can see a legitimate flaw in this explanation please feel free to say as I would be very interested in a legitimate criticism of this explanation.
#2mutant_verminPosted 3/22/2012 5:33:52 PM
Why don't the Reapers just destroy the hostile synthetics?

Why did the Reapers command the Geth to attack organics? They're causing the problem they claim they're trying to prevent.
---
My cause is just, my will is strong... and my gun is very, very large. - the Doom comic
#3mudkip72Posted 3/22/2012 5:35:01 PM
The Reapers are advanced synthetics. And they themselves do not kill ALL organics. Thus, they brake their own logic.
---
"There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring.
I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life." - Church, RvB
#4imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 5:35:56 PM
mutant_vermin posted...

Why did the Reapers command the Geth to attack organics? They're causing the problem they claim they're trying to prevent.

because the organics would still be able to build new synthetics. and in 50,000 years these synthetics could already have wiped out all life.

because the geth could have eventually become a threat or another set of synthetics could have evolved so they have to stop the whole cycle at this point so that cannot happen.
#5imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 5:37:11 PM
mudkip72 posted...
The Reapers are advanced synthetics. And they themselves do not kill ALL organics. Thus, they brake their own logic.

no. that is exactly the premise of the whole thing! they are not supposed to kill ALL organics. only the ones who could potentially develop synthetics that could eradicate all organic life before the end of the next cycle.
#6Pyro-MagePosted 3/22/2012 5:40:04 PM
mudkip72 posted...

No no no, see, by the Reaper's logic they aren't actually killing the organics. They are liquefying them and turning them into new Reapers it's the same as them staying alive!

It is this fact that makes me think that the Synthesis ending, that Reaper logic claims will cause galactic peace, will actually effectively kill all organics and turn them into robotic husks.
#7magstormcammyPosted 3/22/2012 5:40:05 PM
the reapers are synthetics

the organic life forms are just lab rats too them

wow, it only makes sense if you are a computer.

what do u think happened millions of years ago

one synthetic race took over and then decided to cleanse the galaxy every 50k years

the reasoning they tell them selves is just used to justify their own behaviour

however, i think in this cycle, the geth would have stayed good and edi would have been a model for how AIs could function

crap, i already regret killing the reapers, i should have just joined them, but i guess i wanted to live
#8fear of marsPosted 3/22/2012 5:40:26 PM
I understand your view point. However, for the reapers to be absolutely certain of this it would have had to happen before...but that's not possible because that would mean there would be no organic life right now in the mass effect universe. So the theory is speculation on their part AND based off the information the player has it is more likely unsound than sound. The only time the Geth attack organic life is when being controlled by the Reapers to do so..this fact is even made MORE apparent in ME3 itself. The game contradicts its own ending. It's just unfortunate writing..
---
I have to return some video tapes.
#9imthestuntman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 5:43:11 PM
the reapers goal is preservation of organic life no matter the cost. atrocities are committed to ensure no synthetic race will every completely eradicate ALL organic life. just those that could possibly eradicate ALL organic life by creating synthetics that will.

Think about it. the people who created the reapers obviously had the technology to build synthetics that could eradicate all organic life. but instead they build synthetics that would prevent this from ever happening. yeah its gruesome. but it makes sense.
#10thelovebatPosted 3/22/2012 5:43:29 PM
imthestuntman posted...
mutant_vermin posted...

because the organics would still be able to build new synthetics. and in 50,000 years these synthetics could already have wiped out all life.

because the geth could have eventually become a threat or another set of synthetics could have evolved so they have to stop the whole cycle at this point so that cannot happen.

This argument makes as much sense as the ending.

Which is to say, it makes no sense.

Could've should've would've eventually you could either kill ALL the geth yourself in ME2 or end their hostilities with the Quarians in ME3, argument invalid.

And turning humans into husks A LOT of times in ME1 also causes this argument to fall flat.

"We'll prevent you from being wiped out by synthetics, by turning you into the synthetics that are killing/indoctrinating you so the cycle of synthetics killing you doesn't repeat itself."
---
"Too bad you can't reload your game and try again." Cassidy- Fallout 2