Was thinkin about the ending and thought of this

#1PenguinsROOLPosted 4/22/2012 10:51:30 AM
A lot of people were angry about the ending because it didn't have a huge boss battle or anything and it was more of a "You win" button. But throughout the whole game Hackett always says we won't win this by conventional means. I mean, if you think about it, who would Shepard fight in this boss battle? There was no one main Reapers. And on top of that, it was already straight up stated an all out war with the Reapers by conventional means would result is a loss. Is it at all possible that an ending like this was inevitable from the beginning? I agree the ending was shoddy but it certainly isn't bad story telling. It fits, if you ask me, I just think a lot of people were upset about the speculation required of them.
#2M4karovPosted 4/22/2012 10:54:57 AM
I agree I don't see any other way for it to end, especially with an enemy built up as so unstoppable. Harbringer could have been an end boss, but I don't think an end boss is required for this tale.
#3SageOfLifePosted 4/22/2012 10:55:55 AM
And you've demonstrated why no one is asking you. Where is the variety they promised. Where is the closure they promised. Where is the good ending they promised. Where is the "Reapers win" ending they promised? Also, when the last five minutes completely throws out the themes of the previous instalments as well as the first 99% of its own, it's bad storytelling.
---
I need to start flirting with every man I meet. I wouldn't want to confuse all those poor put upon straight people by being "inconsistent".
#4Valentino16Posted 4/22/2012 10:56:11 AM
I think people were expecting TIM to turn into a Geth Hopper after you made him commit suicide.
---
GT: Obstreperosity
"Zur-En-Arrh"
#5ethanarchibPosted 4/22/2012 10:56:16 AM
1st off there were lots of reasons people didn't like the ending but going into it here would be too long

2nd, as for a main Reaper you could have fought: "HARBINGER". Seeing as I.M was indoctrinated, Harbinger could have 'Assumed Direct Control' on him or something & you get to fight both main enemy a******* in one go...just a thought
#6deadpool223Posted 4/22/2012 10:57:28 AM
SageOfLife posted...
Where is the "Reapers win" ending they promised?
synthisis

and maybe low EMS destruction
---
honk HONK honk HONK http://i.imgur.com/NztEG.gif. :33 < fus ro paw,
#7PyrosergePosted 4/22/2012 10:58:37 AM
Topic title probably should have been marked with "spoilers."
---
GT:Vlad The Bunny PSN:VladTheRabbit
#8SageOfLifePosted 4/22/2012 10:59:56 AM
deadpool223 posted...
SageOfLife posted...
Where is the "Reapers win" ending they promised?
synthisis

and maybe low EMS destruction

The first is a fan-theory and the second is not a win for them either since they get destroyed too.
---
I need to start flirting with every man I meet. I wouldn't want to confuse all those poor put upon straight people by being "inconsistent".
#9Drophyd167bPosted 4/22/2012 11:15:30 AM(edited)
The problem with the "You Win" button was how brief the Reapers defeat was. The Crucible should've been a weapon that gave Sword a slight edge over the Reapers, perhaps by disabling their shields, but still requiring an actual fight to obliterate them.

Instead, the defeat of the entire Reaper armada was significantly shorter than destroying a single Reaper embryo...
---
Mass Effect = Mass Effect 2 > Mass Effect 3
PSN: dropyhd167b|XBL/Steam: HKFortyRevan
#10PenguinsROOL(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2012 11:19:49 AM
It's never stated that Harbinger is the main Reaper though... there has been a main Reapers. They're all just part of this Synthetic/Organic race with untold powers. The themes of the game were not abondoned at all. All three of those endings have been a theme in the game at some point during the game, even synthesis (Saren brought this up in ME1). To be honest I don't much about what Bioware "promised" but it's easy to see there's more to this ending then any of us know. Did anyone take into considering what DLC Bioware had planned? Or what they have planned for ME4? I just really can't see what's so horribly wrong with the ending other then its presentation.