An Epic Way to Justify Synthesis *Spoilers*

#1Philosopher1701Posted 5/1/2012 3:04:09 PM(edited)
An idea came to me while discussing this issue in a thread. It's linked to my Crucible hypothesis, which is that the Reaper cycle is a test for organics. Please understand that there is currently no evidence for this idea, and realize that Mac Walters wanted "lots of speculation from everyone." So Mac Walters, this is what happens when you want speculation from everyone.

What if there is a species somewhere in the universe that has evolved to such a technologically advanced degree that they can successfully traverse the gulf of dark space and visit multiple galaxies? Perhaps they wish to uplift the lifeforms they encounter in those galaxies? Maybe, just maybe, they initiate cycles that are intended to guide those lifeforms in a direction that they desire? Basically, this hypothetical advanced species creates Reaper cycles in every galaxy that they encounter with the intention of those galaxies overcoming the cycles. If a galaxy can break the cycle with a Crucible, that galaxy will be offered three choices that will determine its fate:

1. Destroy the Reapers, which opens up the possibility that organic life in the galaxy will be destroyed by synthetic life, and also represents a complete rejection of the advanced species that began the cycle.

2. Control the Reapers, which basically means that the organics seize a portion of the power of the advanced species and can use it however they please. This option holds incredible potential for both creation and destruction.

3. Synthesis. This is where things get very interesting. If you've seen me in other threads on this board, you might know that I loathe the Synthesis option. It makes no sense, it's unethical, and it fuses all lifeforms in the galaxy into organic-synthetic hybrids. It's completely asinine in its current context.

Yet, I may have found a solution to the insanity of Synthesis. We require something much larger than the Reapers and the Catalyst to justify such a "space magic" option. If there is a species that is roaming the universe and creating these cycles, then BioWare could probably get away with space magic. These are the true god-like beings, beings that have the power to alter matter on the scale of entire galaxies. This hypothetical species travels throughout the universe and creates Reaper cycles with the intention of uplifting entire galaxies.

These are very big ideas. The potential is incredible. Right now we don't really know what Synthesis means, but many have speculated that it possibly links all life in the galaxy together, even microbes. I propose that Synthesis basically gives the whole galaxy a greater self-awareness, and they could probably communicate with other galaxies that have chosen Synthesis. Imagine the use of "super mass relays" that propel ships across the universe! The hypothetical advanced species is flying around the universe and building a cosmic super civilization that unites large regions of the universe.

Notice that this possibility reflects a central plot element of Mass Effect - Humanity's new membership of a galactic civilization that is far older and more advanced than they could have ever prepared for. My hypothesis argues that the entire Milky Way civilization undergoes a similar transformation when Synthesis is chosen and they join the cosmic civilization. They realize that their grand existence was only a tiny piece of the cosmos, and they now have even more to learn about themselves and what their existence means.
---
"The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
~ Carl Sagan
#2Philosopher1701(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 2:45:02 PM
The super advanced species is attempting to create a cosmic consciousness. They are guiding the evolution of life throughout the universe. It fits the series' themes of the evolution of life and civilizations. Life starts on a single planet, then evolves to interplanetary status, then interstellar status, then full galactic status, then intergalactic status, then potentially "full" universal status (which may be the impossible-but-noble goal that life attempts to achieve). It's a very literal take on the concept of a universe that has come to life. Matter has evolved to consciousness, and now the universe, through sentient organic and synthetic life, is going to attempt to form a true cosmic consciousness.

Big sci-fi ideas here. I could actually forgive Synthesis if this is where it's going. Too bad there is no evidence for any of this.
---
"The cosmos is also within us; we're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
~ Carl Sagan
#3geo_GASmanPosted 5/1/2012 3:00:38 PM
10/10

Nt sarcasm in the slightest. I like that a lot
---
Deceit is a means to an end. Power is that end.
#4PenguinsROOLPosted 5/1/2012 3:05:42 PM
I like this idea quite a bit. It would be incredible. The "Creators" could have chosen to implement this cycle to achieve that genetic destiny.

One thing though, i don't think the Synthesis option turns synthetics into oranic/synthetic cross breads, just organics. I could be wrong, but I think it only applies to organics.
#5FullMetalManiaPosted 5/1/2012 3:08:22 PM
Here's my beef with synthesis, and it's completely unrelated to the impossible nature of the ending in the first place: Nothing is stopping us from making pure synthetics in the future. Pure synthetics that make the Reapers and Heretic geth look like Paragon Shepard. But all of a sudden "lol they're cool peace out bro"? No. The endings are broken.
---
"Welcome to the internet, where everyone gets off to EVERYTHING."
~kingkaze187
#6ViEtNoBoYPosted 5/1/2012 3:11:21 PM
An interesting theory. I enjoyed reading it.
---
Official Neophyte of the Disbanded Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Veterans
Gamertag-ViEtNoBoi
#7Philosopher1701(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2012 3:16:18 PM
I love the idea that the god-like species views galaxies like we view planets. We often think about what it would be like to encounter an alien species on a random planet and uplift them. The god-like species would view an entire galaxy in the way we view a planet. They are going to uplift the entire galaxy! It's an amazing idea.
---
~ Carl Sagan
#8PenguinsROOLPosted 5/1/2012 3:24:07 PM
FullMetalMania posted...
Here's my beef with synthesis, and it's completely unrelated to the impossible nature of the ending in the first place: Nothing is stopping us from making pure synthetics in the future. Pure synthetics that make the Reapers and Heretic geth look like Paragon Shepard. But all of a sudden "lol they're cool peace out bro"? No. The endings are broken.

A cross between organic and synthetic life is fundamentally superior to synthetic life. So, even if there were a synthetic uprising, the new organic/synthetic cross breads would have little trouble defeating them. Also, keep in mind that it's typically accepted that the only reasons synthetic life would turn on organics is if, A: They realized they were superior to them and therefore did not need them or B: The organics hit them first. In example A, the synthetics would never make this realization, it would be quite the opposite and they would likely view their creators as gods similar to how the Geth viewed the Reapers at first. For example B, it is unlikely the organic/synthetic crossbreads would have any reason to turn on them, but obviously that is a circumstantial argument. It can still be said that they would easily win in a war.

Now, to explain how Synthesis on such a wide scale would be possible, a thought occurred to me last night. What if the huge amount of energy that was sent out could actually alter the molecular structure of the atoms that comprise organics. This is getting pretty crazy, but stay with me. What if it was actually able to add/remove protons, neutrons and electrons to/from the atoms that made up our molecular structure. They could maintain everything that makes us organic but alter what our bodies are made of to make them synthetic. It seems crazy but the entire series is based off of a "what if?" question.
#9WebstedgePosted 5/1/2012 3:24:13 PM
TC if your idea was the real ending I would forgive bioware 100%
---
RIP Iman Shumpert
#10Cag93Posted 5/1/2012 3:33:57 PM(edited)
Inter-galactic Integration Theory (lol I dunno, it sounds cool)? I like it. Nicely done :)
---
"... Either you offed a guy or you whacked a guy. Whacking off a guy is a whole other thing." -- Im_Itchy