Any possible way Omni-Tools could actually become a reality?

#1Necro_Fear89Posted 5/19/2012 2:14:01 PM
I realize it could be ages before technology could get that advanced but what people thought as science fiction back in the day has for the most part become reality now. What could be the actual science behind the technology of the Omni-Tool? Do we have anything close to it?
---
A great force, the power it holds can bring forth either salvation or destruction, at the whim of the user- Aura
Member of TBWNN.
#2SeepuhPosted 5/19/2012 2:18:12 PM
Necro_Fear89 posted...
I realize it could be ages before technology could get that advanced but what people thought as science fiction back in the day has for the most part become reality now. What could be the actual science behind the technology of the Omni-Tool? Do we have anything close to it?

Not until space magic becomes available...
#3BlueRamzaPosted 5/19/2012 2:18:53 PM
Just about the same chance as someone inventing a Star trek tricorder. zero.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#4Efx88Posted 5/19/2012 2:25:38 PM
someone brings up the tricorder...doesn't exist YET.

But how about the Star Trek communicator? Or, as we call them today, smart phones!

So ya, absolutely technology can advance so that one day we have what was once thought impossible.
#5Eamon696Posted 5/19/2012 2:27:14 PM
Efx88 posted...

But how about the Star Trek communicator? Or, as we call them today, smart phones!

So ya, absolutely technology can advance so that one day we have what was once thought impossible.

Im not sure if mass effect fields could ever become a reality, so no I dont thinks its ever going to be possible.
#6IokuaPosted 5/19/2012 2:28:49 PM
Before omnitools can be created, we need to learn how to create solid light, which has been demonstrated in theory, but we're nowhere near reaching in practice. The function of omnitools mostly already exist, as they're just miniaturized arm computers.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#7wils1gamefreakPosted 5/19/2012 2:36:39 PM
A lot of future tech is already in the works, just not practical to be mass produced/released to public/perfected in function. Im sure in our lifetime we'll see a lot of tech convergence, for example, old tower computers are fading while the newer all-in-one computers are booming (at least what I've seen).
---
"Had to be me...Someone else might have gotten it wrong" ~ Mordin Solus
#8Efx88Posted 5/19/2012 2:38:57 PM
Eamon696 posted...
Efx88 posted...

Im not sure if mass effect fields could ever become a reality, so no I dont thinks its ever going to be possible.

They weren't sure they could create electrical fields at one point either. Look at us now!

Heck, this thing we call the internet was once thought impossible. Why so pessimistic?
#9Phoenixmon2Posted 5/19/2012 3:27:07 PM(edited)
http://www.inc.com/uploaded_files/image/ipad-unveiling-pop_2778.jpg

This is what we have now. It's not that crazy to think we'll have this technology someday. As lokua said, the interface for the omni-tool is the most sci-fi aspect of it.

The omni-tool appears out of nowhere because it's just light - but you can still touch it and manipulate it. Solid light. Crazy stuff.
#10IokuaPosted 5/19/2012 3:31:56 PM
Phoenixmon2 posted...
http://www.inc.com/uploaded_files/image/ipad-unveiling-pop_2778.jpg

This is what we have now. It's not that crazy to think we'll have this technology someday. As lokua said, the interface for the omni-tool is the most sci-fi aspect of it.

The omni-tool appears out of nowhere because it's just light - but you can still touch it and manipulate it. Solid light. Crazy stuff.

And even then, it's not quite science fiction. The theory has basic elements of the theory of solid light have been proven, it just needs practical development... which will take decades.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.