Should Geth have Rights? (Spoilers)

#1RetneugPosted 6/8/2012 9:51:56 AM
*Spoilers*

The Geth issue is, in my opinion, the heftiest issue in Mass Effect. They were accidentally given sentience by the Quarians only to be treated with fear and violence immediately, essentially terrorized by their creators. Like organics, they have a massive disagreement; some Geth want to gain protection by swearing loyalty to the reapers. The rest, for whatever reason, do not.

The main question of this thread is how the Geth should be treated. Are the Reapers right? Will synthetics just keep rising up and exterminating organics? Or is there a chance for diplomacy; a peace that could last millenia and benefit both species?

Are they as human as us? To re-use the popular quote, "Does this unit have a soul?" Do they deserve all the rights and freedoms that a human does? Do you think it's more likely that, in examining organic behaviour, they're trying to tally our weaknesses... Or learn our strengths? Can they even be trusted?

I would love to hear your opinions. True, they're fictional robot characters, but based on your interactions with them in the ME series how would you answer those questions?
---
Just once I'd like to see a Futurama episode in which Hermes says, straight-up, "I smoke marijuana."
#2JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 9:54:05 AM
They have sentience, therefore I believe they should have rights.
#3MrPibbRulesPosted 6/8/2012 10:02:46 AM
Well, should anyone have rights? Where do these rights come from? How do you distinguish a right from a privilege?
---
That's right folks, Kaidan doesn't level up. He stops holding back.
#4PowerofFusionPosted 6/8/2012 10:02:46 AM
JediNaruto posted...

A machine does not have sentience, it has programming. The Geth have extensive programming that makes it appear they're sentient but they're not. They're machines.
---
If you believe in Princess Celestia as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#5PowerofFusionPosted 6/8/2012 10:05:09 AM
MrPibbRules posted...
Well, should anyone have rights? Where do these rights come from? How do you distinguish a right from a privilege?

If you want to be logical, no one has rights because rights don't exist. The moment you are born, a magical force doesn't endow you with certain privileges that no one can deny you. What we call rights are nothing more than what you could call a mutual contract you hope other people will follow.
---
If you believe in Princess Celestia as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#6JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 10:05:39 AM
PowerofFusion posted...
JediNaruto posted...

A machine does not have sentience, it has programming. The Geth have extensive programming that makes it appear they're sentient but they're not. They're machines.

A machine in my opinion can have sentience, they are self-aware, at least Legion. Agree to disagree.
#7Macbeth308Posted 6/8/2012 10:07:07 AM
My microwave appears to be really good at counting down from 60. Maybe we should give it rights too so that I stop oppressing it.
#8NicodaemosPosted 6/8/2012 10:09:46 AM
I fully realized AI wouldn't be any more or less sentient than you or me. I don't see why not.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#9schlaufuchsMIKEPosted 6/8/2012 10:12:46 AM
Your microwave isn't self aware and isn't a good comparison to the get.

Furthermore, why the hell are you abusing your microwave?
---
It's a fine line between a smartass and a jackass.
#10MrPibbRulesPosted 6/8/2012 10:19:49 AM
PowerofFusion posted...
JediNaruto posted...

senĚtient adjective
having the power of perception by the senses; conscious.

characterized by sensation and consciousness.

noun
a person or thing that is sentient.

Archaic . the conscious mind.

I would say the Geth have 2, maybe 3 out of 4 of those.
---
That's right folks, Kaidan doesn't level up. He stops holding back.