Should Geth have Rights? (Spoilers)

#11PowerofFusionPosted 6/8/2012 11:21:18 AM
JediNaruto posted...
PowerofFusion posted...
JediNaruto posted...
They have sentience, therefore I believe they should have rights.

A machine does not have sentience, it has programming. The Geth have extensive programming that makes it appear they're sentient but they're not. They're machines.

A machine in my opinion can have sentience, they are self-aware, at least Legion. Agree to disagree.

A machine can only be made "self aware" when it is programmed to be so. A living creature is sentient the moment it's born, no modification needed. Sentience isn't created, you either have it or you don't
---
If you believe in Princess Celestia as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#12MrPibbRulesPosted 6/8/2012 11:24:23 AM
Sentience isn't created,

According to whom?

you either have it or you don't

The Geth appear to.
---
That's right folks, Kaidan doesn't level up. He stops holding back.
#13PowerofFusionPosted 6/8/2012 11:34:13 AM
MrPibbRules posted...
Sentience isn't created,

According to whom?

you either have it or you don't

The Geth appear to.

Tell me. Did your mother and father have to perform some sort of neurological operation on you to think freely? Have you ever been prevented the ability of free thought? When do you remember ever being denied the ability to observe your surroundings? You can't.

The Geth must be given these abilities, through code and circuit, and only in a specific way. The geth are not living beings, they're machines. To even define them in such a way insults the concept of mortality.
---
If you believe in Princess Celestia as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#14JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 11:36:25 AM
They are machines, but machines that are also sentient synthetic beings.
#15Praise_the_SunPosted 6/8/2012 11:40:40 AM
JediNaruto posted...

Off to go talk to my toaster then.
---
Oh, you play FBWGG? You must be soooo good.
GT: The Great Ryan
#16JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 11:42:03 AM
Praise_the_Sun posted...
JediNaruto posted...

So your toaster can communicate and is conscious that it exists?
#17Praise_the_SunPosted 6/8/2012 11:44:27 AM(edited)
JediNaruto posted...
Praise_the_Sun posted...
JediNaruto posted...

Well, according to you machines are... and my toaster is a machine

Oh, well I completely misread your post. Excuse me.
---
Oh, you play FBWGG? You must be soooo good.
GT: The Great Ryan
#18JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 11:44:19 AM
Praise_the_Sun posted...
JediNaruto posted...
Praise_the_Sun posted...
JediNaruto posted...

Well, according to you machines are... and my toaster is a machine.

No, i said the Geth specifically are machines that meet this criteria.
#19Wii0playerPosted 6/8/2012 11:45:12 AM
What rights? All they wanna do is chill and make their Dyson sphere without quarians getting up in there bisniz. They don't want to be involved with organics besides trying to understand them.
---
Big guddamn heroes.
#20MrPibbRulesPosted 6/8/2012 11:45:52 AM
Tell me. Did your mother and father have to perform some sort of neurological operation on you to think freely? Have you ever been prevented the ability of free thought? When do you remember ever being denied the ability to observe your surroundings? You can't.

Way to miss the point. Im not saying people arent born with it, Im asking, who says it cant be created artificially? Does it matter if its created artificially? If so, why? In a universe that is an endless chain of cause and effect, does free thought even truly exist or are we just a reaction in an infinite chain of causes?

The Geth must be given these abilities, through code and circuit, and only in a specific way. The geth are not living beings, they're machines. To even define them in such a way insults the concept of mortality.

Now I must ask, so what? What does it matter how they came about being self aware, how does that make their thoughts/feeling/emotions less significant? Our brains are hardwired to work a certain way, I must ask you to further this distinction. How is it an insult to morality? How do you define your morality? Didnt you not too long ago tell me rights were nothing more than a social contract? Isnt that a greater insult to the concept? How are you linking morality to the concept of sentience (or sapience) for that matter?
---
---
That's right folks, Kaidan doesn't level up. He stops holding back.