Should Geth have Rights? (Spoilers)

#21NicodaemosPosted 6/8/2012 11:47:29 AM

Did your mother and father have to perform some sort of neurological operation on you to think freely?

Yeah. They had sex.

Have you ever been prevented the ability of free thought? When do you remember ever being denied the ability to observe your surroundings?

Both of these are certainly possible to do after the fact.

The geth are not living beings, they're machines.

People, (or bodies that used to be people) that have experienced brain-death aren't alive, even if their organs continue to survive. The fact that they happen to be made of flesh is irrelevant. The ability to perceive and comprehend stimuli is what defines something as being alive.

To even define them in such a way insults the concept of mortality.

Pretty idealist for someone who pulled the relativist card a few posts back.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#22Retneug(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 11:52:03 AM
I'd say the Geth were more sentient than myself post-birth. I don't even really remember the first five years of my life... I probably tuned in to self-awareness by laughing at my toes and didn't know what it truly MEANT to be an individual for years afterward.

The Geth kick off their existence with the ultimate display of self-awareness; they ask if they have souls. They graduate from consciousness school with their very first words!

That said, what is a "soul"? If we decide something doesn't have one, does it become ineligible for being treated as an equal? Are we so special, with our neurochemical reactions and synapses? Are they so different from wires and mechanisms? Furthermore, is a soul something that must be created... Or learned? Given enough time and opportunity for observation of organics, would Geth eventually "develop" a soul?

Rights are theoretical constructs, like many things humans come up with. They can vary across cultures and the like, but we try to apply basic human rights to all of humanity, and perhaps in the future, human-like entities. Rights aren't about what everyone HAS; they're about what everyone OUGHT to have, and this thread is all about what rights we ought to extend to the Geth. Are they just so many microwaves and trash compactors that we should crush for our own safety? Or are they deserving of the basic rights we'd extend to any other human?
---
Just once I'd like to see a Futurama episode in which Hermes says, straight-up, "I smoke marijuana."
#23herduliekmudkipPosted 6/8/2012 12:21:01 PM
first thing the geth did when they gained sentience was to ask if they had a soul

second thing they did was kill billions of quarians

they dont deserve crap
---
http://i.imgur.com/fsSme.png
Meet herduliekmudkip hater of all things powerful and easy to use. ~ donkeyofdestiny
#24JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 12:27:26 PM
herduliekmudkip posted...
first thing the geth did when they gained sentience was to ask if they had a soul

they dont deserve crap

Quarians were going to try reprogramming them right or putting them back to work? They defended themselves, the Quarians should have realized the geth werent their tools anymore.
#25Retneug(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 12:28:27 PM

they dont deserve crap

The Quarians were trying to kill them.

And we have have yet to stop killing eachother for reasons far more stupid than self-preservation.

At the very least, using hostility to protect themselves just after achieving sentience is a very human reaction; I'm sure many a caveman bopped another on the head for similar reasons. At most, you could say that the Geth are victims; and, perhaps, that their actions are even justified. This is to say nothing or the "heretic"-brand Geth who joined the Reapers to protect themselves, but note that this was only (roughly) half of the Geth community.
---
Just once I'd like to see a Futurama episode in which Hermes says, straight-up, "I smoke marijuana."
#26herduliekmudkipPosted 6/8/2012 12:31:36 PM
Retneug posted...

they dont deserve crap

The Quarians were trying to kill them.

And we have have yet to stop killing eachother for reasons far more stupid than self-preservation.

At the very least, using hostility to protect themselves just after achieving sentience is a very human reaction; I'm sure many a caveman bopped another on the head for similar reasons. At most, you could say that the Geth are victims; and, perhaps, that their actions are even justified. This is to say nothing or the "heretic"-brand Geth who joined the Reapers to protect themselves, but note that this was only (roughly) half of the Geth community.

theres a difference between self defense and genocide and im pretty sure its a large gap
---
http://i.imgur.com/fsSme.png
Meet herduliekmudkip hater of all things powerful and easy to use. ~ donkeyofdestiny
#27AngieFanPosted 6/8/2012 12:32:05 PM
we could have this same discussion regiarding a number of science fiction tales the most recent popular one i think being the animatirx short The Second Renaissance. cept in that one the machines are able to overcome there captors and become the dominating species.
---
xbox 360 gamertag: AngieFan
#28Omega_Zero_XPPosted 6/8/2012 12:33:20 PM
Here's a better question TC:

Should Geth have Lefts?
---
Im grasping at emergency induction ports for a witty signiture. Anyone got one?
OMZ_XP: the very model of a scientist salarian.
#29JediNarutoPosted 6/8/2012 12:34:35 PM
AngieFan posted...
we could have this same discussion regiarding a number of science fiction tales the most recent popular one i think being the animatirx short The Second Renaissance. cept in that one the machines are able to overcome there captors and become the dominating species.

But the Geth have said they just want to be left alone right?
#30Retneug(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2012 12:40:25 PM
War takes two.

Based on the information you gain from the Consensus, the Quarians weren't exactly relenting. On Rannoch they would've kept trying to contain/deactivate the Geth until they lost the homeworld... And, as is clearly seen throughout ME, the Quarians remain pissed about that and don't let the conflict go.

The "heretic" Geth assault organics on sight, and are as bad as the Reapers. The other Geth, however, would surely have been open to peace terms if the Quarians had tried. They're their creators, after all; they don't WANT to slaughter them. But the Quarians were butthurt and considered the Geth the ruination of their homeworld even though their sentience was the Quarians' fault to begin with.

Both sides suffered heavy losses. It's not like either side was enslaving the others and shipping them off to concentration camps.
---