People still aren't happy with the endings.

#31St_GrieverPosted 6/27/2012 3:33:54 AM
Jingoism posted...
Casey Hudson and Mac Walters ruined ME3. I recall making a thread saying they should be fired a couple months ago but was flamed relentlessly. Now what? Are people still taking their side? There are so many better people at Bioware than those two megalomaniacs.

Drew Karpshyn (sp?) leaving and ME3's development being put in their hands was the biggest mistake ever. It's like the starting QB of a team getting terribly injured right before the super bowl and starting a crappy backup.
---
#32AdonistheDarkPosted 6/27/2012 3:41:51 AM(edited)
uberschveinen posted...
People became emotionally invested in hating the endings. This happens every time something turns into a 'thing'. Most people just care appropriately, but some take caring to mean more than it should. These are usually peopel with a weak sense of self, so that any minor decision they make is a disproportionate part of their self-identity. They make a decision that becomes them, and then they can't change their mind without compromising themselves as individuals.

This is particularly common in the 'solo' hobbies, and gaming especially, simply because it's got a hugely disproportionate number of people who are susceptible to this weak sense of self.

But they still make up maybe 10 percent of the haters. The rest just follow suit because the emotionally invested ones yell loud enough to give the idea its own momentum, and it lets them feel like they're a part of something. That sense of belonging is very important to people, and ones who can't find it in the usual places will take it wherever they can. Videogaming is, again, disproportionately a 'loner' hobby, so there are far more peopel prone to this sort of thing than usual. Users of internet forums are also disproportionately 'loner' types, so the effect is doubly pronounced on gaming forums.

There are people who still legitimately disliek the endings on the merit of the endings. They aren't the ones posting on the internet about it hour after hour.

So 10% of the people who disagree with you are histrionic loons (plus some other pseudo-psychological jargon you used to sound impressive) and the rest disingenuous lemmings following them off of a cliff?

Anyone who agrees with you posting as prolifically as the users you insinuate are obsessive loners, though, are fine.

Totally fair and balanced assessment.

I miss the days when sincerity was presumed if for no other reason than to call someone stupid for liking/disliking something. Now it's just broad generalizations about people's intent to avoid arguing actual points.
---
"Deus Ex Nanomachina" ~IGrokSpock
#33uberschveinenPosted 6/27/2012 3:50:48 AM
Don't be a manchild. People who frenetically defend the ending hour after hour are the same thing. This thread isn't about these people.

Why are you taking this so personally? If you aren't taking this far more seriously than is actually warranted, why are you posting hour after hour on it? If you aren't posting hour after hour on it, why are you so sensitive about the topic that commenting on peopel who are makes you react so strongly?
#34WingZero0782(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 3:52:38 AM
uberschveinen posted...
Don't be a manchild. People who frenetically defend the ending hour after hour are the same thing. This thread isn't about these people.

Why are you taking this so personally? If you aren't taking this far more seriously than is actually warranted, why are you posting hour after hour on it? If you aren't posting hour after hour on it, why are you so sensitive about the topic that commenting on peopel who are makes you react so strongly?

Who's that to?
---
Currently Playing: who the **** cares.
DCUO Name: Techno Knight, Level: 30, Server: Crossfire, League: TheGothamKnights.
#35AdonistheDarkPosted 6/27/2012 4:01:03 AM(edited)
uberschveinen posted...

What a presumptuous ass you are!

What the hell else am I going to talk about on the ME3 board? It's the hot topic so of course if I'm bothering to be on this board at all I'm going to discussing it. Would it be better if I talked about MP bull?

I hate presumptuous generalizations whether they apply to me or not. I hate weaselly arguments. I hate armchair sociology/psychoanalyzing. This being my weakness, your post was like nectar and I the bee.
---
"Deus Ex Nanomachina" ~IGrokSpock
#36ChocoboDreamsPosted 6/27/2012 4:10:31 AM
AdonistheDark posted...
uberschveinen posted...
People became emotionally invested in hating the endings. This happens every time something turns into a 'thing'. Most people just care appropriately, but some take caring to mean more than it should. These are usually peopel with a weak sense of self, so that any minor decision they make is a disproportionate part of their self-identity. They make a decision that becomes them, and then they can't change their mind without compromising themselves as individuals.

This is particularly common in the 'solo' hobbies, and gaming especially, simply because it's got a hugely disproportionate number of people who are susceptible to this weak sense of self.

But they still make up maybe 10 percent of the haters. The rest just follow suit because the emotionally invested ones yell loud enough to give the idea its own momentum, and it lets them feel like they're a part of something. That sense of belonging is very important to people, and ones who can't find it in the usual places will take it wherever they can. Videogaming is, again, disproportionately a 'loner' hobby, so there are far more peopel prone to this sort of thing than usual. Users of internet forums are also disproportionately 'loner' types, so the effect is doubly pronounced on gaming forums.

There are people who still legitimately disliek the endings on the merit of the endings. They aren't the ones posting on the internet about it hour after hour.

So 10% of the people who disagree with you are histrionic loons (plus some other pseudo-psychological jargon you used to sound impressive) and the rest disingenuous lemmings following them off of a cliff?

Anyone who agrees with you posting as prolifically as the users you insinuate are obsessive loners, though, are fine.

Totally fair and balanced assessment.

I miss the days when sincerity was presumed if for no other reason than to call someone stupid for liking/disliking something. Now it's just broad generalizations about people's intent to avoid arguing actual points.

I honestly don't see how you can't at least somewhat agree. I'm not arguing anything here, I'm just trying to add further insight to his post.

You -must- have seen everybody flocking to the "you can't polish a turd" argument. Do you seriously think most of these people came up with it themselves? I've even seen people try to twist the words around as if in attempt to make it seem like they made it up themselves.

To a similar extent; no, it's not impossible to have disliked the original ending. I honestly think the people that sincerely disliked the ending were in the minority, though. Many just flocked to these opinions, and no, that's not an assumption. There were many that simply didn't even care about the ending in the first place. They just shrugged it off as nothing. As soon as they seen what the community was like, though, they immediately got in on the action. "Down with Bioware!"

I can give further examples to further solidify my point, but I trust that you can at least -somewhat- see what I'm trying to get across and won't need me to. To put it frankly, there have been a lot of idiots in this community over the ending debate, on both sides.

It's been three months now. It's tiring.
---
July 18, 2011. Megaman Legends 3 has been cancelled. Today, I mourn. Here remains a reminder of what could have been.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#37mozilla345Posted 6/27/2012 4:25:54 AM
Gettles posted...
Still, a lot of people wanted Bioware to just call a mulligan and do the ending from scratch.

I was one of those
---
Black FC Name: Matt FC:5414-9845-0169
Steam Name-Chrome345
#38LegacyBrokenPosted 6/27/2012 4:29:56 AM
The EC definetely made a horrible ending much better. They went from being graded an F to about a C+ or B-. I still have some issues with Starchild and the destruction of all synthetics in the Destroy ending leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because I can never bring myself to go with Synthesis or Control because they are completely contrary to what Shepard would do. I was also still disappointed that in Destroy they didn't give us with the High EMS the satisfaction of seeing Shepard defintively alive and reunited with his LI. I'm still highly suspicious that they intentionally left that out because they have plans to utilize the search for Shepard as the starting point for future dlc or Mass Effect 4.

I'm in agreement that Casey Hudson and Mac Walters have probably been given too much control over the Trilogy and that with future Mass Effect game, a new Director and Head Writer are brought in and they are assigned to another project. Also, it was inevitable that Drew Karpyshan was not going to work on Mass Effect 3 when the story broke about SWTOR. Drew's track record with KOTOR and his relationship with the Sue Rostoni and the rest of the Lucas team stemming from writing the Darth Bane novels ensured that he was going to be needed as the Lead Writer on SWTOR.
#392ndcuzofSpardaPosted 6/27/2012 4:32:17 AM
I say screw it. All the inconsistencies and leaps in logic and space magic are because its a story being told to a kid, so gramps tells the version most parents tell their kids which is a childish version. Thats what im gonna tell myself.
#40Arkma3Posted 6/27/2012 4:33:03 AM
To be fair though, polls like the one the TC highlighted, probably aren't that representative.

Those that still want to b**** and moan about the story, are the kind that'll illustrate their anger by answering such polls. The majority that like the game / story, are likely either playing the game, or getting on with their lives.
---
...Always look on the bright side of life, doo doo...