Control > Destroy > Refuse > Synthesis (SPOILERS)

#1Sweet_AdelinePosted 6/27/2012 10:14:58 PM
For a full-Paragon Shepard, this cannot be argued.

Control - You make the ultimate sacrifice to save the galaxy. While your physical body is dead, your mind, morals, and consciousness will live on for all eternity to watch over the people you love and fought to save. The Reapers still exist but as benevolent beings that help rebuild the destruction caused by the war.

Destroy - For a lot of people, this was the 'best' ending, but I have to disagree simply based on the fact that the Geth and EDI are sacrificed. Legion's sacrifice is negated. The peace (FINALLY!) between the Quarians and the Geth on Rannoch is invalidated. All of those conversations you had with EDI throughout the game where she acquires a human-like consciousness are rendered pointless. Sure, the Reapers are finally destroyed and Shepard is 'alive,' but does that really justify all of the aforementioned negatives? I really don't think so.

Refusal - I didn't like how abrupt it was, but I appreciate that we now have the option to refuse. They definitely could have elaborated more on what actually happened this cycle. We lose this round, but the galaxy finally prevails and defeats the Reapers in the next cycle.

Synthesis - The new Synthesis ending is...horrifying. Every organic being in the galaxy is merged with synthetics without any say whatsoever, thus completely disregarding the concept of free will. According to the EDI epilogue, every species lives together in peace, but I don't buy it. Why do they live in peace? Just because everyone is part-synthetic now? Synthetics weren't always the problem. Humans waged war with the Turians. The Krogans waged war with...well, everybody. Who's to say it won't happen again?
---
ASSUMING CONTR-*cougar'd*
SF 49ers - Stanford Cardinal - SF Giants
#2Wii0playerPosted 6/27/2012 10:23:28 PM
I really don't think people understand synthesis.

Synthesis is the final evolution of life. This makes it so Machines can understand emotion, and Organics can understand technology. Essentially both sides are granted a whole new set of possibilities. For example, Organics can probably now overcome death. While Synthetics can now experience love.

Really everything just becomes perfect in synthesis. Everybody is equal, and can pursue any desire they ever had. It doesn't destroy anybody's free will.
---
Big guddamn heroes.
#3Rain_DustPosted 6/27/2012 10:26:04 PM
Funny how you say that the machines all dying is too big of a negative for the destroy option, yet the hero dying and becoming the things he spent his life fighting isn't? Ok...
---
Estiah, the best free online game! Join and have me as your mentor!
http://www.estiah.com/user/register/index/id/14471
#4Sweet_Adeline(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 10:26:40 PM
Wii0player posted...
Really everything just becomes perfect in synthesis. Everybody is equal, and can pursue any desire they ever had. It doesn't destroy anybody's free will.

No, no. My comment about free will is their decision (or lack thereof) to BECOME part-synthetic. So based on the choice of ONE man, everyone gets glowing green eyes. There is no choice whatsoever.

And my other big point is, just because organics have a perfect understanding of synthetics, and vice versa, what's stopping them from fighting with each other and eventually waging war? The possibility still exists.
---
#5IokuaPosted 6/27/2012 10:27:53 PM
Control is the worst ending and my full Paragon Shep would never take it. It will only be so long before AI-god-Shepard starts to abuse the power of the Reapers.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#6Mr_FeeshPosted 6/27/2012 10:32:12 PM(edited)
They're at peace because the Reapers are alive now, they magically gain empathy, and can share the wealth of their preserved knowledge and cultures. Synthesis is definitely the best from a utilitarian perspective. I just hope you like magic!

"Free will" seems like an odd objection. Nobody chooses their nature to begin with, why does it matter that they aren't actively choosing to become perfect? Nothing about EDI's voiced synthesis epilogue suggests that it doesn't work out well for anybody. At all.
---
NAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAKNAK
#7ethanarchibPosted 6/27/2012 10:29:35 PM
Rain_Dust posted...
Funny how you say that the machines all dying is too big of a negative for the destroy option, yet the hero dying and becoming the things he spent his life fighting isn't? Ok...

Uuuuummm....Shepard spent his life fighing A******* who massacre species in the name of preservation; he didn't fight them because of what they were
#8N00b11234Posted 6/27/2012 10:30:41 PM
Iokua posted...
Control is the worst ending and my full Paragon Shep would never take it. It will only be so long before AI-god-Shepard starts to abuse the power of the Reapers.

Maybe your Shepard will abuse his power, mine won't.
Stop using YOUR Shep as a canon compass.
---
Lulz
#9Sweet_Adeline(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2012 10:30:42 PM
Rain_Dust posted...

Reapers in the Control ending =/= Reapers in the series up until the end of ME3

It's stated implicitly that the Reapers become the physical embodiment of Shepard's consciousness, thoughts, and morals. Again, assuming that Shepard is an altruistic, benevolent Paragon (which, in my story, he is), the Reapers are not any more harmless than the liberated Geth.
---
#10iamdanthamanPosted 6/27/2012 10:32:26 PM
TC, what is your opinion on the resolution to Legion's storyline?
---
All your base are belong to us