Don't get why people say the 4th ending is Bioware trolling. *spoilers*

#11JulesCornPosted 6/29/2012 8:54:39 AM(edited)
I don't believe the next cycle used the crucible. I know someone on Twitter said they did but people on Twitter have said a lot of crap about ME3.

Liara warns that the crucible failed.

And Stargazer retells the story of "The Shepard" with pride. You don't tell your kids proud stories of complete idiots who clumsily killed billions with their stupidity.

When I was younger people told me stories about Heroes. Like for example my Grandfather has a WW2 story about bravely rescuing a dozen people from a wrecked Submarine and having about 14 or so people living for 3 days on a small boat with precious little food and water, not knowing if the next people they met would be salvation or destruction or if they would simply starve to death.

It was a good story and the fact it was true (if embellished) adds to the telling of it.

I was never proudly told the story of the enormously well-endowed man smearing his genitals with juicy meat paste and running naked into a cave full of bears, smacking them across the head and going "I AM YOUR MASTER NATURE!" before having his groin repurposed as chew toy.

But if we are to believe the next cycle used the crucible, they ignored Liara's instructions and despite finding the crucible highly successful and life-saving, they very proudly retell the story of the brave hero Shepard whose idiocy and refusal to use this amazing device killed billions... That's just weird.

So then how did the next cycle defeat the Reapers? Well... LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE! and here's mine:

Despite the belief people online and Hackett have you can beat the Reapers conventionally. The Turians inflicted heavy damage to them(check your codex), you blow up them up with missiles, the Protheans fought them for centuries with some minor victories. They are not immortal just really really really hard.

The Reaper's success came from eliminating the cycle's leaders in one blow with the Citadel and wiping the races out unprepared before they can react. In ME3 even with only the tiniest amount of preparation, you put up a fight and taken down several Reapers.

The other huge Reaper weapon is harvesting. In the Prothean cycle (and implied all cycles) they take over entire planets and make billions of husks. The husks then are used as cannonfodder to take over more planets and make more husks. Javik explains this and says that letting Reapers take over planets bought them time but guaranteed defeat.

The other big Reaper weapon is indoctrination. Which is much weaker when used against a unified society of various races who KNOW about it. It can only damage them, not bring them down.

And with Liara's message the next cycle knows all this so: Instead of no preparation, they have thousands of years to prepare. Before the cycle started they were smarter with where they placed colonies and once the cycle starts they don't let the Reaper's harvest a planet. Evacuating or blowing it up if necessary. And nipping out any split-factions in the bud if one ever began to rise.

In this scenario the Reapers would have little or no chance. And I really like this speculation because it's inkeeping with the theme of the first two games of "If only the damn council had listened!" we might have actually stood a chance.
---
I'm so corny sometimes!
#12ChargedBusterPosted 6/29/2012 8:56:14 AM
Afghan_Whig777 posted...
m9_Illusive_Man posted...
ChargedBuster posted...
Afghan_Whig777 posted...
We don't know. Liara's message playing happens after it's discovered by an intelligent species.

Apparently the next race uses the Crucible though, it could mean they chose to destroy the Reapers

The game doesn't actually say if the crucible is used. I would like to think when she said the crucible 'failed' that they used the time they had to create some alternate means of victory.

Yeah, I assume the didnt make AIs because they knew about the Geth and the previous cycles and took all that information and spent 40,000 years preparing for the Reapers.

You don't know that. When the humans discovered the Protheon articifacts, the Geth/Quarian conflict had already long passed and the Reapers were on their way

Also, to the person, apparently one of the writers on twitter stated the next cycle buit and used the crucible

Refusal seems like what Shepard would pick, considering what we know of him/her in the previous 3 games.

I've heard, however, I'm simply going by what I saw in the game, I don't count outside info like that until it officially shows up in some form in the game.
---
Xbox live: aimforthebushes
#13KillerSlawPosted 6/29/2012 8:58:06 AM
People don't like it because it didn't provide the happy disney ending THEY wanted.

Synthesis through space magic = bad.

but apparently total victory just because = good.
---
http://i.imgur.com/rR0Br.png http://i.imgur.com/VXqqs.gif
#14General_JumaPosted 6/29/2012 9:02:23 AM
in all honesty, it is my favorite ending, and I think my canonical Shepard ending
---
Hail Theon! The Joffrey in the North!-EntertheTekken
#15ExtraspectrePosted 6/29/2012 9:02:37 AM
Maybe because it's the only ending that doesn't take your EMS into account AT ALL.

It's just:

"Don't like our choices!? Fine screw you!" *curbstomp*

It reeks of petty butt-hurt
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#16JulesCornPosted 6/29/2012 9:06:16 AM(edited)
KillerSlaw posted...
People don't like it because it didn't provide the happy disney ending THEY wanted.

Synthesis through space magic = bad.

but apparently total victory just because = good.

Speaking as someone who really likes the rejection ending. I think this is unfair. It's not a case of "happy v.s sad" it's a case of presentation.

I think a lot of people felt that saying "The crucible is it, you can't win no matter what without it." kinda nullifies the whole point of military strength and as such any consquence to any decisions or actions you made over the past 200+ hours. And I see where they are coming from.

If it was up to me I'd have made Low EMS = You all die. Liara's messages are discovered and destroyed by Reapers. Cycles continue forever.

Mid EMS = Most of you die but a few hold out for a century. The Next Cycle defeats the Reapers at great cost.

High EMS = You hold for centuries battling the Reapers wildly to literally the last man. The Next Cycle defeats the Reapers with relative ease thanks to the immense sacrifices you made for them.

That would have been cool.

Meanwhile Synthesis is presented as being happy despite having so many obvious faults and glaringly unpleasent ignored questions... It results not being happy at all and just being fake. You don't buy into it. At least I didn't. Synthesis felt like I was watching a man stick a knife into his eye over and over while he smiled and assured me it didn't hurt.
---
I'm so corny sometimes!
#17zeromaruoPosted 6/29/2012 9:06:33 AM
I loved this addition wish it was there the first time since the destroy ending felt wrong since i spent like 3 hours creating peace between the geth and quarian so i choose sythesis control was never even considered by me. But the refusal ending seemed more like my Shepard.
#18Afghan_Whig777Posted 6/29/2012 9:08:56 AM
Extraspectre posted...
Maybe because it's the only ending that doesn't take your EMS into account AT ALL.

It's just:

"Don't like our choices!? Fine screw you!" *curbstomp*

It reeks of petty butt-hurt

Yeah, and as of now, destroy is the only ending which shows Shepard alive in rubble, which makes no god damn sense as of now. And considering how much time passed and was narratted, Shepard sure as hell died of pain and starvation in that rubble
---
GT: Arcade Fire87
#19xxAnastatiusxxPosted 6/29/2012 9:11:33 AM
I didn't like how Shepard decides not to use the crucible so everyone dies but in the next cycle they use it anyway and we don't know what option they chose
---
Does this unit have a soul?
#20Jack_ReppirPosted 6/29/2012 9:30:16 AM
I think Refusal definitely should have incorporated EMS. This may be my entitlement, but I would have liked to see a happy ending where you dont genocide an entire race and kill one of your allies yet Shepard still gets to live in his/her HUMAN form.
---
LogicTheKing