Strategery 3: A Guide to Engineers

#1Nacht004Posted 8/27/2012 4:42:38 PM(edited)
Which is your favorite Engineer? - Results (140 votes)
Human Default
17.14% (24 votes)
Quarian Female Engineer
11.43% (16 votes)
Salarian Engineer
17.14% (24 votes)
Geth Engineer
18.57% (26 votes)
Quarian Male Engineer
7.14% (10 votes)
N7 Demolisher
28.57% (40 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Strategery 3: A Guide to Engineers

Utility, Utility, Utility

Hi everyone,
I thought it would be nice to create a central repository for discussion on classes. Tips, tricks, overview on each of them and what makes them formidable or hinders them greatly! Today is the third, going top down from the multiplayer menu, today we have Engineers!

Overview:
The Engineer is a personal favorite. It's a class that screams utility. It is adaptable to almost any situation, good against every enemy, and can be built to in many cases to support team mates or help focus fire. They are the best support class in the game hands down. Like Adepts, engineers are considered back range casters, with weaker health and shields then most other classes, and powers that support a playstyle of distance cover. They are great against mobs, and are crucial in creating Tech Bursts reliably.

Recommended Gear:
Unless mentioned otherwise when discussing classes, I find the following tends to be best:
Weapon: Keep it light as you are one of the biggest caster classes! You rely on your powers so focus maybe on pistols or SMGs. If you want more power, go with lightweight ARs (Phaeston, Vindicator, Mattock), or lightweight Shotguns (Disciple). Suggested Pistols are Carnifex, Acolyte, Paladin, and Phalanx. Suggested SMGs are Hurricane and Geth SMG.
Ammo Bonus: Your easiest tech bursts can be assisted by Disruptor ammo so that is generally a great choice, but feel free to also play around with cryo and incendiary ammo for their bonuses to set off.
Weapon Bonus: Choose the rail amp best suited for your choices.
Armor Bonus: Your best bet is to keep with Power Amplifier or Power Efficiency modules to focus on your damage, but if you'd like to boost some D don't feel disinclined to choose Cyclonic modulators.
Gear: Keep to Structural Ergonomics for cooldown, or Omni-Capacitors for complete tech bonuses. For classes with grenades it's worth taking a look at Warfighter, Shock Trooper, or just the normal Grenade Capacity.

Tech Bursts:
Tech bursts, Fire Explosions, and Cryo explosions are created by hitting an enemy with 2 different tech based powers in quick succession. Tech Bursts happen when an electric based attack is the primer (the first attack), and will occur even if the enemy does not die from the attack. Fire and Cryo explosions happen when the primer is a fire based power or Cold based power and the enemy is killed by the detonator (can be any type of tech power regardless of element). The following are a list of powers found by Engineers that work for Tech Bursts
Electric Primer: Energy Drain, Overload, Arc Grenade (w/ Electrical Damage), Disruptor Ammo
Fire Primer: Incinerate, Homing Grenade (w/ Fire Damage), Geth Turret (w/ Flamethrower), Sentry Turret (w/ Flamethrower), Incendiary Ammo
Cold Primer: Cryo Blast, Cryo Ammo
Detonators: Arc Grenade, Combat Drone (w/ Detonate), Decoy (w/ Exploding Decoy), Energy Drain, Homing Grenade, Incinerate, and Overload

All ratings for powers are based on the board http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/63836284
---
There's really nothing to say.
GT - Pb Farmer
#2Nacht004(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 4:38:34 PM
Human Default Engineer
Base Shields/Health: 500/500
Moves: Combat Drone (6.4), Overload (8.3), Incinerate (6.6)
Review: The Human Engineer got a big boost in late May/June with a big buff to the Combat drone. He is good at many utility tasks which makes him a real Jack of all trades. He's good at many things but not amazing at a single item. He's very dependable and can be one of the best support characters in the game though. His drone does wonders as a distraction and since it's boost does significantly more damage. Overload sets up techbursts and chain Overloads can cause massive disarray among your enemies. Incinerate can set off your tech bursts or attempt to setup for fire explosions. Tip: If getting chased down and looking to put some distance between you, aim at your feet or away from enemies when summoning the Combat Drone so it will stick itself in between you and your enemies. Otherwise it'll just pop up behind them.
Suggested Build:
Combat Drone 6: Detonate, Shock, Chain Lightning
Overload 6: Chain Overload, Recharge Speed, Chain Overload
Incinerate 6: Damage, Recharge Speed, Armor Damage
Alliance Training 5: Damage & Capacity, Power Damage
Fitness 3:
Notes: Stick with a light weapon so you can consistently summon your Drone, or throw overload/incinerate at enemies. You are a powerhouse. The game here is to throw out your Drone at your enemies, and then immediately start casting Overload into Incinerate, rinse and repeat. You'll be creating tech bursts with ease and creating a very disfunctional enemy as they continuously feel the sting. Stick to either Structural Ergonomics for Gear or Omni-capacitors

Female Quarian Engineer
Base Shields/Health: 600/500
Moves: Sentry Turret (6.9), Incinerate (6.6), Cryo Blast (5.4)
Review: She's not a bad engineer, just..Overshadowed. Most of the engineers have something categorically powerful or potent about them. They play either fantastic support, or can be wrecking crews in their own rights. The female Quarian isn't really either. She want's to play offensively and debuffing enemies, and thats great, but so many others do it slightly better. Her turret doesn't aggro as much as it probably should, and with Incinerate's Freeze Combo terminally broken, it leaves her a little more anemic than we want. Now the good news; she is fantastic at crushing armored enemies, and creating debuff zones for all your allies to target.
Suggested Build:
Sentry Turret 6: Shields & Damage, Armor-Piercing Ammo, Flamethrower
Incinerate 6: Radius, Burning Damage, Armor Damage
Cryo Blast 6: Radius, Cryo Explosion, Frozen Vulnerability
Quarian Defender 5: Damage & Capacity, Power Damage
Fitness 3
Notes: This build tries to capitalize on debuffing the enemies armor and lighting them up. She becomes extremely efficient versus armor plating but leaves a little to be imagined on the shields front. As such I highly suggest bringing an Acolyte Pistol along and/or some Disruptor or Warp ammo. Keep your cooldowns high so equip an Omni-Capacitor or Structural Ergonomics. If you want to play a little dangerously, feel free to go Expert Package with an SMG equipped (preferabbly Geth Plasma for its accuracy).
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#3Nacht004(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 4:39:26 PM
Salarian Engineer
Moves: Decoy (7.6), Energy Drain (9.1), Incinerate (6.6)
Review: The Salarian is a defensive dreamboat with his Decoy. He's capable of drawing incredible aggro on his decoy that makes every other Engineer toy look like the enemy's think nothing of them. The Decoy, while it doesn't do direct damage, is possibly the best at keeping the attention of the enemy and then exploding in their grills. Coupled with Energy Drain, the Salarian becomes a resistant bugger, and a Geth destroying machine.
Suggested Build:
Decoy 6: Durability, Shock, Exploding Decoy
Energy Drain 6: Radius, Drain, Armor Boost
Incinerate 6: Damage, Recharge Speed, Armor Damage
Salarian Operative 5: Damage & Capacity, Power Damage
Fitness 3
Notes: This build focuses on building your resistance, keeping your distance and letting loose your arsenal. Keep your cooldown as light as possible and always have a decoy out to keep the fire off of you. Energy Drain almost always, especially against mobs for the radius and you'll find yourself with incredible resilience despite average shields. Take some disruptor ammo and like the rest and take an Omni Capacitor or Structural Ergonomics for gear.

Geth Engineer
Base Shields/Health: 750/250
Moves: Geth Turret (8.2), Hunter Mode (8.8), Overload (8.3)
Review: Ridiculous. This guy has so much potential I wish I had 3 of him. While not as incredibly powerful as his aggressive brother the Infiltrator, the Geth Engineer does so many things right. He provides some of the best support for the team, or he can be specced to provide some of the most damage of any other Engineer. Hunter Mode engaged may sap your shields, but it also makes your powers faster and more potent, making the Geth able to dole out incredible amounts of punishment super fast, even without a 200% cooldown rate. The turret alone makes me wish I could spec 2 identical builds, one for pure healing and one for pure damage. But as such I can only choose one. Here's the damage build;
Suggested Build:
Geth Turret 6: Shields & Damage, Armor Damage, Flamethrower
Hunter Mode 5: Power Recharge, Power Damage
Overload 6: Chain Overload, Neural Shock, Shield Damage
Networked AI 6: Damage & Capacity, Power Damage, Weapon Damage
Advanced Hardware 3
Notes: With built in Geth Weapon bonus damage, improved cooldown rates, improved movement speeds, this is one of my favorite builds to do with a Geth Plasma Shotgun. It allows you to keep decent range (unlike the Piranha), so you don't sacrifice too much of your vulnerability as a result. Aim the turret at foes first and then start playing peek-a-boo with your GPS and enemies will fall, fast. It is important to note, like I said earlier, that I also HIGHLY recommend the full healing/support turret path and then aiming it at your feet (Shield Restore/Restore Range/Restore Frequency). Just keep in mind if you have a Infiltrator in the party as it will mess with their cloak. There is no best build, but there are many fantastic builds. Keep up with Omni-Capacitor gear and some disruptor ammo for tech burst fun.
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#4Nacht004(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 4:39:50 PM
Male Quarian Engineer
Moves: Tactical Scan (6.7), Incinerate (6.6), Arc Grenade (9)
Review: A very underrated Quarian sometimes, the Male Quarian is actually a tech burst maniac capable of not only incredible damage, but fantastic team support. The Male Quarian is what the female quarian wishes she was. A fully capable 1 man wrecking crew capable of devestating damage, crowd control, and tactical advantages for the team. The Male Quarian engineer is unique in that he has no machination he lays down like the drones/decoys/turrets/or supply pylon. He makes up for it with zesty tech bursts. The Infiltrator may seem like a clear and away winner, comparing Incinerate to Tactical Cloak on their own is a rather obvious choice. However because of the Arc Grenades, the Male Quarian sets up bursts so quickly, and so rapidly with Incinerate, that to second guess him would be ridiculous.
Suggested Build:
Tactical Scan 6: Weapon Damage, Movement Speed, Area Scan
Incinerate 6: Radius, Burning Damage, Armor Damage
Arc Grenade 6: Damage, Electrical Damage, Shield Overload
Quarian Defender 5: Damage & Capacity, Power Damage
Fitness 3
Notes: This is one of the few engineers that isn't fully reliant on cooldown. Tactical Scan has an incredible fast recharge speed so the only thing that will really cost you is Incinerate. That being said, try to keep cooldown at around +100% for best efficiency. Continually tactical scan for your group and light up the scene to give the best tactical awareness of any character in the game. Then when enemies encroach throw a grenade and volley right after w/ Incinerate for Tech Bursts everywhere, rinse, repeat. Disruptor ammo goes great with this build, and as does the gear Grenade Capacity, as those Arc Grenades will be your life blood. Don't be afraid to use thermal clips when you run empty and you'll find yourself raking in points. Good weapon suggestions are the Mattock, imo, any pistol, or any other assault rifle that lets you keep decent distance. You don't want to get close enough with an SMG, unless you keep it as a reserve, but I'd strongly suggest keeping range.

N7 Demolisher
Moves: Supply Pylon (9.2), Homing Grenade (8.3), Arc Grenade (9)
Review: Oh the Demolisher, how you came into our lives and showed us a truly unique character. The Demolisher is a grenade based character and with the right gear and no grenade capacity increases from the powers, she can carry around 11 grenades. While the amount of grenades is shared, with constant resupplying she is capable of holding down a position and carrying an entire team.
Suggested Build:
Supply Pylon 6: Resupply Frequency, Power Damage, Extra Grenade
Homing Grenade 6: Impact Radius, Fire Damage, Armor Damage
Arc Grenade 6: Radius, Electrical Damage, Shield Overload
N7 Demolisher 6: Damage & Max Grenades, Power Damage, Weapon Damage & Max Grenades
Fitness 0
Notes: With supply pylon being your only cooldown based power, and immortal, you would think that you could just increase your cooldown to max. Don't. Choose a cooldown that will set your supply pylon to recharge roughly every 15 seconds, just enough time for grenades to be created and then putting down a new pylon. This will allow you to double recharge grenades every 15 seconds (4x grenades), making your powers consistent and tech bursts continuous. Grenade Capacity is my choice of gear for obvious reasons. Play her at range and take a powerful weapon that can allow this perfect cooldown. I run mine with a Harrier and Piranha (classic), and keep my cooldown at a reasonable 13 seconds. Play at range, as you will be fragile, but no one should be able to get in with your barrage.
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#5happypor100prePosted 8/27/2012 4:40:03 PM
first vote Real life achivement unlocked You have to much time on your hands
---
GT-Goldchampion200
#6Nacht004(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 4:40:59 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7charon78auPosted 8/27/2012 4:41:10 PM
And why "strategery"?
---
Dakka dakka, boom boom! I like fluffy pancakes and long walks on the beach.
GT: Charon78
#8Nacht004(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 4:42:23 PM
charon78au posted...
And why "strategery"?

Meh? Just because. Reminds me of the days we used to make fun of G.W. Bush?
---
GT - Pb Farmer
#9charon78auPosted 8/27/2012 4:43:48 PM
Nacht004 posted...
charon78au posted...
And why "strategery"?

I misunderestimated you. Carry on.
---
Dakka dakka, boom boom! I like fluffy pancakes and long walks on the beach.
GT: Charon78
#10IokuaPosted 8/27/2012 4:46:04 PM
Nacht004 posted...
charon78au posted...
And why "strategery"?

If things go your way, soon you might have Mitt Romney to make fun of. Who doesn't like insulting a religious zealot who will be incapable of separating his insane faith from his job even though it's required by law.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.