Is Mass Effect 1 worth playing?

#11TheLast0neAlivePosted 10/6/2012 12:20:11 PM
Replayed through it again for the first time since before ME2 even came out about a month ago. Still the best of the three.
---
You think Jesus just traded four waters for a wine? - Friend while playing Catan.
#12KingsOfHerePosted 10/6/2012 12:21:38 PM
it is definitely worth playing, but if you played 2 and 3 before it, it will be a little bit rage-inducing, the combat is much more difficult IMO because of the rougher shooter mechanics. 2 and 3 had really refined combat, in 1 it felt sluggish and blocky.
---
useewutididthur?
#13PharoahPelicanPosted 10/6/2012 12:52:52 PM
ME1 has a great story. The gameplay isn't nearly as good as the others though. But I do miss the Mako...

Just play it man. It's a classic.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#14MattyL10Posted 10/6/2012 1:44:05 PM
I'm playing it now for the first time since Jan. 08. Pretty much what everyone else said, the gunplay is dated, but it is still a great game.
---
Winter is Coming.
#15Carribean_CoolPosted 10/6/2012 2:18:21 PM
Yes. IMO ME1 felt more complete, like it had more to offer compared to 3.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#16Gigant0pithecusPosted 10/6/2012 2:27:03 PM
ME > ME3 > ME2 overall.

And yes it's worth playing imo. The shooting, flashy powers and controls I find to be better in ME3 of course, but ME1 is less linear in level design and more my speed in terms of just about everything else (loot, exploration, side-quests, stat distribution, etc.). I didn't care for ME2 much at all gameplay-wise.

Dialogue options and conversations are much better in ME1 as well.
---
XBL GT: Gigantopithecus
#17Bourne_EndeavorPosted 10/6/2012 5:24:17 PM(edited)
Best I say is to rush through ME just to complete the story. While I like the gameplay enough, it gets entirely too repetitive. Made worse when you already know the huge overhaul it will get come ME2.

- Story missions
- Citadel sidequests
- Couple Mako quests that carry over/have decent dialogue
- DLC

Do those on an easy difficulty or level glitch and you ought to knock the game off in under twelve hours.
---
A bride?! Roughly translated, it means your life is over!
A bride is a woman that's about to be married || I think my definition is more accurate.
#18Urdnot_RuntPosted 10/7/2012 6:18:22 AM
Best game of the series.

Has open world exploration, huge interactive maps and that feeling that you're in a huge place with secrets to be discovered that's lacking in the other two games and most modern games in general. And the gameplay is fine, the people who hate on the first game wouldn't know a good game if it bit them in the ass
#19Carribean_CoolPosted 10/7/2012 6:37:10 AM(edited)
Mass Effect 1 gets better and better with each passing playthrough, as you discover more sidequests, more planets if you didn't grind, different dialogues when you do story missions in different orders, alternate ways to complete or obtain missions. IMO ME1 had the most replay value. Side quests compared to the others have different ways of solving them, and some actually have dialogue, so you can talk your way into making the threat stand down, provoke them, etc.

And I agree with Runt. People just love to focus on exaggerating ME1's problems. I mean yes, 2 and 3 had better gameplay, but it's not like 1's is unplayable or broken. The thing I liked about 1's was that enemies would actually switch weapons if you get close to them, like Krogan pulling out the shotgun.

Also, squadmates have an equal amount of powers as you do. If you're a Sentinel, then Kaidan who is also a sentinel, would have the exact same powers as you. If you're a class that doesn't specialize in combat, than those that do, like Ashley and Wrex, will have more HP than you. They would also deal the same amount as damage as you if not more, depending on what you give them. Squadmates are equal with Shepard in terms of customization, like armor, weapons, etc. In ME1, it feels like your squad is actually feels like a team, as opposed to 2 and 3 when it's just shepard doing all the damage, and your squad is just there for back up.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#20Kiyosuki_Mk2Posted 10/7/2012 7:41:04 AM(edited)
Yes but just keep in mind it's not like ME2 or 3.

It's a lot more slower paced, the combat mechanics are more RPG like than cover firing (though that's there too, in a primordial form.) with a lot more options in terms of abilities and guns/armor. I really miss that and which they didn't simplify that so much, though in turn the controls are clunkier in the first game imo which is one thing I think they did improve upon in the sequels but it's not intolerable. You'll have to actually explore the surface of planets to get to where you need to go often, which I liked but others didn't but just be prepared for that.

It's worth playing ME1 if only because a lot of the default choices in 2 and 3 are terrible (I think intentionally so, to get you to play the first.)