Mass Effect 3- EDI suggests other dimensions

#31lightningS9Posted 11/13/2012 1:16:28 AM
fennell92 posted...
I think there are at least 4 dimensions. One red one, one blue one, one green one, and one refusal one. They're all pretty much the same though.

If there are only thoughts four the questions now are, which are we and who's gona be who's great grandparents. I personally hope I'm not related to Kaiden, mostly because he is more likely to die (If my Shep collection happens to match the dimensional template)
#32ZERO_X02Posted 11/13/2012 1:19:58 AM
Math is a set of languages. You can only say things within the grammar and syntax limits of an individual language, but this is overcome by math's many dialects. Math cannot say 1/3 exactly in decimal format, but 1/3 can still be spoken of as a fraction. The 1/3 debate is no different than arithmetic's inability to model a car's velocity as a function of time with changing acceleration. Arithmetic can't convery this concept, but calculus can.

Also, 1+1=3 is a big deal because all of physics would crumble if a single anything combined with another anything spontaneously and consistently formed an additional anything. Things like the heat death of the universe become impossible since nothing can ever approach the value of zero, yet every quantifiable thing would follow a trend toward infinity.

If I gave you a muffin, all the matter and energy of the muffin would be duplicated on some level since adding unity to something positively alters unity's value. Therefore, I just made matter and energy and ruined all of physics.

Or you could consider atomic collisions in a block of ice. Each collision spawns more energy and eventually your block of ice would resemble a pulsar if you let it sit long enough.
---
At Capcom, DLC=disc-locked content, not downloadable content.
#33CodeSamurai73Posted 11/13/2012 12:25:44 PM
1 + 1 = 3, for very large values of 1. Been on the internet for years.
---
"You don't have to drive me crazy, I'm close enough to walk."
#34Urdnot_RuntPosted 11/13/2012 12:39:42 PM
1+1 equaled 2 long before humans were around to know about it
#35lightningS9Posted 11/13/2012 12:57:18 PM
ZERO_X02 posted...
Math is a set of languages. You can only say things within the grammar and syntax limits of an individual language, but this is overcome by math's many dialects. Math cannot say 1/3 exactly in decimal format, but 1/3 can still be spoken of as a fraction. The 1/3 debate is no different than arithmetic's inability to model a car's velocity as a function of time with changing acceleration. Arithmetic can't convery this concept, but calculus can.

Also, 1+1=3 is a big deal because all of physics would crumble if a single anything combined with another anything spontaneously and consistently formed an additional anything. Things like the heat death of the universe become impossible since nothing can ever approach the value of zero, yet every quantifiable thing would follow a trend toward infinity.

If I gave you a muffin, all the matter and energy of the muffin would be duplicated on some level since adding unity to something positively alters unity's value. Therefore, I just made matter and energy and ruined all of physics.

Or you could consider atomic collisions in a block of ice. Each collision spawns more energy and eventually your block of ice would resemble a pulsar if you let it sit long enough.

The point the guy was making was that 1+1=3 is impossible not because the math is wrong or whatever but that since math is man-made it isn't required in every dimension and it is really nothing but something in your head so for the 1+1=3 universe all it would mean is that in that reality 3=2 so it still is technically 1+1=2, it's just read differently.
#36El_VirusPosted 11/13/2012 1:53:03 PM
SageOfLife posted...
Vacre posted...
0.33333 x 3= 0.99999
That does not equal 1. It equals 0.99999
0.33 repeating multiplied by 3 does not equal 1 either.

Actually 0.9999... is mathematically equal to one.

Round up 0.9999...is close to one, but not one. If you have an X-Y axis and you want to plot a set of parallel lines, you will use line Y= 1x + b and another line Y= 1x + b (b is your y intersect and obviously not the same or it is the same line). However if you have lines Y= 1x + 1 and Y= 0.999...x + 0.999 the lines will be very close and will eventually intersect, thus proving they are not parallel and therefore mathematically NOT the same.
---
PSN: AbzolutZRO XBL: Abzolut ZRO
#37metroidman92Posted 11/13/2012 3:04:42 PM
FizixMan posted...
Malzel posted...
FizixMan posted...
Vacre posted...
0.33333 x 3= 0.99999

I did not state 0.33333, I stated 0.33333...

Big difference.

Both are decimals.

EDIT: And yes, 0.33333... repeated multiplied by 3 does equal 3. Welcome to grade 12 mathematics (or earlier if you've received any decent education)

Ok

0.99999... = 1

No. It is almost 1. It's infinitely close to 1, but not 1.

1-1=0
1-.9999... = .00000...01

The difference being below the subatomic scale.
---
I'll be in my bunk...
#38dasboosPosted 11/13/2012 3:08:07 PM
Malzel posted...
FizixMan posted...
Vacre posted...
0.33333 x 3= 0.99999

I did not state 0.33333, I stated 0.33333...

Big difference.

Both are decimals.

EDIT: And yes, 0.33333... repeated multiplied by 3 does equal 3. Welcome to grade 12 mathematics (or earlier if you've received any decent education)

Ok

If you start a set distance away from a point and cover half the distance, and then half again and so on. Will you ever get there?
---
"Scissors are over powered, Rock is fine." - Paper
GT - stealth finger
#39Vacre(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 4:08:44 PM
I posted this because I wanted to test my theory. Merely looking over it by myself is meaningless. I wanted perspective.

Fizixman your quote is exactly my point.
"EDI's line is just a hogwash SCI-FI script intended to communicate to the player something fantastical but mean not much else."

But if this is grade 12 math, how does that equal 1? If a "decent education" would cover this, explain it to me. I obviously didn't receive one, and you obviously did.
#40CoconutMayPosted 11/13/2012 4:14:17 PM
EDI tells Shepard that other dimensions may exist

Stopped reading here. You DO realize you're talking about a Sci-fi game, right? Literally anything is possible.

Also, there are different ways to use Math. The general accepted form is Base 10, where 1 + 1 = 2, but you can use Base 7, Base 40, Base 0.4, whatever, and the answer would be different.
---
Have you seen my sisters? Last I saw them they were standing in a row. They are quite lovely.