The most annoying/stupid part of the Mass Effect story

#21DestinPosted 11/14/2012 7:41:20 AM
otakon2006 posted...
BitterBear posted...
Also, the list didn't explain why the Citadel seems to have the most ineffective counter-intrusion and self-defense capabilities of anything anywhere. I mean, after Saren you'd think the hub of Council space would have taken a few more security measures to prevent, you know, exactly the same thing happening again.

Most of the Citadel fleet was wiped out by Soveign's sneak attack 4 years ago. It takes longer than that to rebuild the surplus forces that guarded the Citadel. Also, Cerberus spent time analyzing the unexplored sections of the Citadel during the second game I'm sure. Third, the Citadel was designed as a trap remember? The Reaper's never meant for it to be defendable by it's occupants. Sure the Council was too goddamn stupid to listen to the person screaming "The Reaper's are coming!" But they were written that way, not saying that was great writing however.

thousands of years the citadel was the galactic center and defending it is considered surplus?

also in those thousands of years, neither the Asari, Salarian and Turians decide to build like a defense satellite around it? what if some rogue race jumped in through the Relay?
---
Destin the Valiant
#22BitterBearPosted 11/14/2012 7:48:35 AM(edited)
The first game, it was an interesting and forgivable plot point. It was cool. In ME3, it's just another weird "Cerberus has all the money and people and can do anything because logic?" moment.

Another issue left off the list: for being smarter than any other life form, the Reapers are actually pretty stupid. They have exactly one job which they've been doing for aeons or whatever, and yet they're bad at it. Really bad.
#23CrimsonCorpPosted 11/14/2012 7:58:12 AM
lol great poll. Had to go with starchild being introduced in the last 10 minutes of the freakin trilogy.

Cerberus's 20 legions that consist of 10,000 Space Marines each was a close second =D
#24jakerscythePosted 11/14/2012 8:36:29 AM
I'll go with Kai Leng. Out of place, out of plot, out of league, out of nowhere, out of sanity, out of bounds, out of space, out of breath...

Yeah, I hated him more than the multicolored ending and deus starchild. Barely.
#25pure mind gamesPosted 11/14/2012 8:41:03 AM
Another issue left off the list: for being smarter than any other life form, the Reapers are actually pretty stupid. They have exactly one job which they've been doing for aeons or whatever, and yet they're bad at it. Really bad.

They only do it every 50,000 years, of course they'd be a bit rusty.
---
Dishonored(Blind) Final Part
http://youtu.be/_A_MFwIEnWM
#26TwilightEchoesPosted 11/14/2012 8:48:59 AM(edited)
The Lazarus Project. I found myself facepalming when I heard about that. The kicker is that its only real relevance was to be a strange excuse to tie Shepard to Cerberus and nothing more.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#27BitterBearPosted 11/14/2012 8:56:19 AM(edited)
pure mind games posted...

They only do it every 50,000 years, of course they'd be a bit rusty.

Yeah, but they're not teenagers pawing at each other in a dark closet. They're machines (designed to kill organics before they build machines that kill organics...LOOOOOOOOOOL!) with presumably perfect memories and flawless logic. So, let me present you with a situation and offer some options:

You are attacking a galaxy and you know for a fact you can win. There is exactly one thing that can stop you, you know about it, and you know what they need to make it work. Furthermore, this one thing happens to be the hub of their primary civilizations' politics and organization as well as a poignant reminder for both them and you of how they won. Once. Do you?

A) Ignore it and start attacking planets. You didn't come all this way to worry about the details!

B) Attack and capture it (remember, it can be invaded and overrun by anyone with a space ninja and a small army or whatever), sealing the fate of the galaxy, then congratulate your fellow Reapers on a cycle well done.

C) Attack and capture it, then fly it directly over the home world of your primary rival, while building a portal on planet that allows said rival the chance, no matter how small, of boarding it and completing his or her mission. Despite the fact you have as much time as you need to do your job and can simply wait until you've destroyed your rival before collecting the dead or whatever you want to do with it.

D) Go back to dark space because you know somewhere, somehow, Mac and Casey have an asspull waiting to poop on your parade. Also, even you are disappointed at the explanation for your existence and would have preferred to remain mysterious.
#28Wii0playerPosted 11/14/2012 1:20:24 PM
"As of 2185, Cerberus consists of 150 operatives organized into three cells. The Illusive Man oversees all projects carried out by the cells personally; consequently, there are never more than a dozen projects active at one time. This degree of micro-management leaves the organization vulnerable should the Illusive Man ever be compromised, though he has been smart enough to avoid detection so far."

Straight from the Mass effect wikipedia.

I don't care if they were converting people on Horizon. There's no ******* way The Illusive man had the resources to

1. Take over the Shadow Broker Network.
2. Take over Omega.
3. Have that facility on Horizon.
4. Stage a coup on the Citadel.
---
"In Mass Effect 3, the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You wont just find some long-lost Reaper off button."-Casey ******* Hudson.
#29garanPosted 11/14/2012 1:42:18 PM
^Especially since more than 2/3rds of Cerberus is taken out in ME2-- Overlord has 48 dead bodies, & Lazarus (aka the Normandy) leaves Cerberus with Shepard.

The Cerberus giant army ass-pull is beyond stupid, plus it makes the game more boring since you fight that same army over & over again, for more than half of M3.

However, I hate Kai Leng way more. Thane standing there with a gun against his head, then letting him keep talking & posing instead of blowing his brains out makes me want to punch everyone at Bioware for such idiocy.

At least with the crap-tastic ending, I can just turn the game off and ignore the last half hour of ME3.
#30moodyjm2Posted 11/14/2012 1:43:33 PM
Kai Leng, TIM 3, and ofcourse Starchild.

TIM just pissed me off in 3...so now Shepard has to fight Cerberus AND the Reapers?
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
"This is a rock and roll takeover, living each day one night at a time."