What's shield-gating?

#1I-ROX-HRDPosted 11/18/2012 1:40:37 AM
Topic
#2Shigmiya64Posted 11/18/2012 1:42:24 AM
It's when even if a single attack is more damage than your remaining shields, the extra damage doesn't carry over into health. Enemies have it too, though for them it only reduces the extra damage that carries over into health or armor instead of eliminating it entirely.
---
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."
#3XgArrancarPosted 11/18/2012 1:52:30 AM
You also have a health gate and both of these gates have a two seconds cool down. This means if a gate is broken and you regain shields from some power/drone then 2 seconds must pass before the gate will block enemy damage.

Depending on the difficulty, it can last from 2 (I think) seconds on bronze to 0.01 seconds on platinum.
---
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
#4MalzelPosted 11/18/2012 2:12:21 AM
XgArrancar posted...
You also have a health gate and both of these gates have a two seconds cool down. This means if a gate is broken and you regain shields from some power/drone then 2 seconds must pass before the gate will block enemy damage.

Depending on the difficulty, it can last from 2 (I think) seconds on bronze to 0.01 seconds on platinum.

I believe the .1 seconds is how long the shield gate lasts for on Gold/Platinum. iirc they recently reduced the cooldown between sustained gates from 4 seconds to 3 seconds (on G/P)
---
It is only human to commit a sin...
#5XgArrancarPosted 11/18/2012 2:14:32 AM
Right, it was 4 to 3, not sure why i was thinking 2.
---
"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"
#6Lord of NightmaresPosted 11/18/2012 3:25:51 AM
Bear in mind though that shield gating only applies to enemies in MP on Gold and Platinum, and even then there are several weapons which can completely ignore gating and still inflict damage to health and armor such as the Javelin.
#7MatraTheEternalPosted 11/18/2012 1:53:23 PM
Lord of Nightmares posted...
Bear in mind though that shield gating only applies to enemies in MP on Gold and Platinum, and even then there are several weapons which can completely ignore gating and still inflict damage to health and armor such as the Javelin.

I'm pretty sure shield gating applies at least in silver as well just to a lesser degree than gold or platinum. In addition the Javelin does NOTHING to ignore shield gating. It's subject to the same rules as most every other weapon out there.
#8code_kirinPosted 11/18/2012 2:06:52 PM
Lord of Nightmares posted...

Enemy shield gating is 75% on silver and above. I think it's 50% on bronze..

Javelin is still subject to shield gating. The only weapon that isn't that I can think of is the Acolyte, but that hardly counts. Shotguns can sort of bypass shield gating because it will only affect one pellet of every shot. Rapidfire weapons work similarly. Powerful single shot weapons can "bypass" shield gate with phasic ammo, which applies 150% of a weapon's damage as phasic ammo damage before the bullet hits, letting the shot hit at full damage when the shield is broken.

As far as players are concerned, shield gate is the last bit of shield that when broken gives you a brief period of invincibility. Its main use is to take one powerful attack without it hitting your health. Enemies with small arms fire are relatively unaffected by shield gate.