Is this game's ending really that bad? *Please don't spoil*

#51The_DeskPosted 11/18/2012 8:09:58 PM
It's no where's near as bad as it's made out to be. As a few posters have said your choice's through the series don't really effect it overly but other then that I had no issue with it.
#52Umega4Posted 11/18/2012 8:18:22 PM
If you have the slightest clue on how story telling works, its an abomination.
#53Ness0123456789Posted 11/18/2012 8:25:43 PM

...Methinks you're likely the one with out any slight clue on how story telling works.

And no, that one creative writing class you took in High School does not, in fact, mean you are the one who knows how story telling works.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#54Executioner232Posted 11/18/2012 8:29:34 PM
its actually not that bad, its not the blow something giant up ending, but more of a story ending.
---
PSN user - Exterminator8954
#55YandizbarPosted 11/18/2012 8:29:41 PM
Yes, but for others no. It's a sliding scale. but the more important questions are: how much does the series mean to you and which do you consider your favorite ME game? What it its sentimental value? The more emotion you have invested, and if you still hold the first as best, the greater the disappointment will be. Those who argue "yes" will do so for reasons based on "feelings." Those who argue "no" will give you 10+ reasons why the endings make sense. And usually, they do have merit and substance behind their arguments. I'm very willing to accept that the ending makes logical sense; I just wish they would understand why I say "yes."
#56TalasPosted 11/18/2012 8:33:07 PM
It was ok, it wasn't what we were told it would be and there where some inconsistencies. All around I think it could have been better but it wasn't horrible.

The main problem a lot of people seem to have is that the endings where open to interpretation and not solid "this is the end"
---
Slamacow!
In Memory of Logan
#57VoltarPosted 11/18/2012 8:39:08 PM
It was REALLY bad. Maybe not the worst, but the quality of the ending compared to the rest of the series was really jarring. However, IMO the EC makes the ending passable.
---
It's not drugs. It's science and economics!
#58Doofe_2012Posted 11/18/2012 8:43:35 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...

...Methinks you're likely the one with out any slight clue on how story telling works.

And no, that one creative writing class you took in High School does not, in fact, mean you are the one who knows how story telling works.

He's right, though. The starchild is a prime example of a deus ex machina, otherwise known as one of the biggest and laziest cop-outs a writer can use. You don't just throw in something like that 10 minutes before the credits roll.
---
Gamertag: ColossusCHD
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3763197/Doofe2012
#59Afrotastic_JPosted 11/18/2012 8:52:34 PM
Probably not the worst ending in history, but it was extremely bad.

A series like this deserved much more. And it pretty much went against many themes that defined Mass Effect, even a bunch of themes that were set up and expanded mere missions before the ending.

The Extended Cut made it slightly better, but a golden turd is still a turd.

But it's the journey that matters, and while ME3 has its flaws, you'll enjoy the hell out of it.
---
"I... am... KROGAN!" -- Urdnot Grunt
#60Lord of NightmaresPosted 11/18/2012 9:01:26 PM
I actually viewed the entire game itself as the ending, since the first 80% or so of the game wrapped up several long-running story arcs before tackling the biggest issue of them all.

In that regard, I'd consider the first 95% of it to be fantastic, while the last 5% was indeed rather disappointing, although yeah, I too felt that the EC really helped improve things and Leviathan further fleshed out the Reapers' origins and motives.

Even the original pre-EC epilogue wasn't all that bad IMO, although I do understand how a lot of people were pissed as it was rather abrupt and didn't provide sufficient closure. That being said, I've seen a lot of endings that are far worse, even in current-gen titles but for some reason some people seem to ignore this and instantly condemn the entire trilogy as trash just because of the last 5-10 minutes.