Is this game's ending really that bad? *Please don't spoil*

#61BattlegunPosted 11/18/2012 9:29:44 PM
Those who played the original ending first will always think that it is terrible, or passible.

If you play the extended cut on your first play-through, like I did, you will enjoy it.
---
Not changing sig until the Clippers win the Championship.
The Few, The Proud, The Clippers.
#62The_Undying_84Posted 11/18/2012 9:32:34 PM
The problem is that the story development of the whole series, including most of ME3, is based on the player's choices. But in the end none of your decisions from throughout the series have any effect, you're just given the same 3 ending choices no matter what else you did.

Plus those 3 endings are basically the same and pretty stupid anyways.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#63Rickoon5Posted 11/18/2012 9:34:29 PM
Doofe_2012 posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
If you have the slightest clue on how story telling works, its an abomination.

...Methinks you're likely the one with out any slight clue on how story telling works.

And no, that one creative writing class you took in High School does not, in fact, mean you are the one who knows how story telling works.

He's right, though. The starchild is a prime example of a deus ex machina, otherwise known as one of the biggest and laziest cop-outs a writer can use. You don't just throw in something like that 10 minutes before the credits roll.

And the lazy sacrificial Christ archetype after the credits just ticked me off. Sure his name is a throwback to the same shepherd metaphor as Jesus Christ, but throughout the series to that point it seemed more like a teasing coincidence or to indirectly put the smack down on the BS miraculous conception, perfect being with special powers image by making everything Shepard does explainable by science (Bionics) and humanly realistic (never perfect, and can choose between paragon and renegade) but still with intent to save the world from destruction like the name implies--a human that topples the ridiculous God image.

Grandpa: NOPE, sorry Billy (that's what I named the boy after the credits), he pretty much is metaphorical Jesus, cause our team of 30+ writers got bored...have fun with the one-dimensional multiplayer!

Billy: NOOOOOOO!
---
"I'll do whatever it takes."
#64ScirelPosted 11/18/2012 9:39:43 PM
LilyxLighting, are you blind? The endings were LITERALLY a copypasta before EC.

Before EC you could do anything you wanted, but it may as well have been jacking off in the citadel because the entire plot is turned upside down by a new character completely out of the blue (unless you've played leviathan) that gives you three choices that are all crap (IMO) regardless of what you have done.

Basically an entire series with 2.99 games of the theme "make your own fate" is tossed away with a "lol not rly" at the end.
---
Pokemon White FC 4298 3029 3187 Touko
#65charon78auPosted 11/18/2012 9:55:57 PM
It's a very good game with a heart ripping ending that got repaired via DLC, and it also has a very good multiplayer co-op mode.

Having said that, I no longer play the game and only played through the story twice. Got a solid 6 months out of the MP though, and others are still going strong.
---
Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#66BlackWizardMagusPosted 11/18/2012 10:00:33 PM
Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's not logically impossible, but it's pretty inconsistent, thematically, to the rest of the series, and it's really...wierd.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#67charon78auPosted 11/18/2012 10:07:10 PM
Battlegun posted...
Those who played the original ending first will always think that it is terrible, or passible.

If you play the extended cut on your first play-through, like I did, you will enjoy it.

Very good point. I think it fair to mention also, that the more interest you had invested in the story line of the entire trilogy, the more likely you are to have a negative reaction to the ending.
---
Don't pay the ferry man. Don't even fix a price.
GT: Charon78
#68kungfuj0Posted 11/18/2012 10:34:56 PM(edited)
Is this game's ending really that bad?

Simply put...yes, yes it is.

I am 37 years old. I've been gaming in some form or another for more than 20 years. In all that time, I can honestly, logically, calmly, and rationally say that this is the single most disappointed that I have EVER been by an ending to a videogame.

I have been a fan of the ME series since I first heard that the first game was being made. I even read the books that went along with the series, and I haven't bothered to read novels since I HAD to read them in high school. That ending left a scar on the entirety of the series. I used to be all smiles when it came to anything ME. Now, there's always a 'yeah, but...' when I think of the series.

I still like ME, and I look forward to what they do in the next one and even with the DLC and whatnot, but that ending just leaves a sour taste to me for anything ME-related at this point. ME3 was still a great game, and ME is still a great series, but it is no longer what it could have been, and I dare say SHOULD have been.

And I'd like to point out for some here that this isn't about a 'happy' ending where Shep lives and goes on to make little blue space babies with Liara or whatever. I don't mind that Shep dies. In fact, part of me probably WANTED him to. I just wanted it to happen in the right way. Mordin goes out like a BOSS in this game. If Shep was going to die, I wanted his to be even greater than that. That's probably the part that got me the most. You do all this stuff across all 3 games, and at the end, you're told to pick, a color, and by somebody who has never even had a mention in the other games at all. That just doesn't sit well with me....not in the slightest.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: 2011-12 National Champions.
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#69nedrithPosted 11/18/2012 10:14:42 PM
the problem is you have this great story in the first one, a rather great set of characters in the second one with a decent story and then for the third one it all comes together decently but you can feel the lack of polish during the entire time. and then with the rather declining quality in the story you blow it all away with a rather disgusting story that would of passed in a normal there was little concern for the story anyways game.

Basically epic series that slowly declined than at the moment where everything is just supposed to come together in a amazing fashion all set up to a simple small meaningless ending is giving.
#70Mr_PipboyPosted 11/18/2012 10:17:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]