Best weapon for casters?

#1ROBPW1Posted 11/27/2012 7:46:49 AM
What is considered the best weapons for casters? I would assume low weight for fast cooldowns. I have been using the acolyte. I also used to use the Mattock.
#2zhobanPosted 11/27/2012 7:49:47 AM
ROBPW1 posted...
What is considered the best weapons for casters? I would assume low weight for fast cooldowns. I have been using the acolyte. I also used to use the Mattock.

Something with a fast cool down. Carnifex, Acolyte, Talon and the Eagle are all good choices. Though I wouldn't recommend firing the Eagle, enemies will laugh at you and say, "Are you even trying anymore?"
---
Don't get all holy on me, James. This town called you, too. You and me are the same. We're not like other people. Eddie Dombrowski (Silent Hill 2)
#3Grayfoxr6Posted 11/27/2012 7:52:26 AM
there is nothing wrong with either. most of my casters use the acolyte + hurricane combo. the talon is great too imo, and i also favor my arc pistol X.
---
XBL and PSN: Feralchicken01
You know why they call it PMS??? because "mad cow disease" was already taken.
#4CoconutMayPosted 11/27/2012 7:54:18 AM
I use the Collector Assault Rifle with my Drell Adept, though he's only specced with Reave and Cluster 'nades, so I don't know if he'd really be considered a "caster".
---
Have you seen my sisters? Last I saw them they were standing in a row. They are quite lovely.
#5Hui_TianPosted 11/27/2012 7:56:13 AM(edited)
alcolyte for classes that don't have an easy means of dealing with Shields, but have a good means of dealing with Armor... for an example, most biotics are paired quite nicely with the Alcolyte, but engineering/tech classes that have Overload or Energy Drain don't really need it

the Hurricane is a little heavy, but with the Anti-Armor mod that SMG's have, its high ROF and good damage per shot, can destroy armor REALLY fast. If you have a character that can deal with shields easily, this is a pretty good weapon, especially since you can use UltraLight Material to reduce its weight (although, then you're missing out on the Stability or Piercing Mod)... so its a toss up

I personally like the Tempest as an SMG, because it has a good Anti-Armor Mod, its light weight, lots of ammo and decent weight. A lot of people aren't a fan of it because it's not incredibly accurate, doesn't do that much damage per shot (not the worst DPS though) and has a relatively mediocore ROF. Classes like Turian Sentinel or Human Engineer match nicely with this weapon because its low cool down and large clip allows you to constantly shoot -> use power -> shoot -> use power all day long, and you won't have to reload that often

because they're both light, most classes can retain a 200% CD with rank 4 of increased encumbrance in their class passive, by carrying the Alcolyte and Tempest. Its how I run with my Justicar and Human Adept/Sentinels when I'm playing on Gold
#6Mr_PipboyPosted 11/27/2012 7:59:22 AM
for a tech caster, the geth AR with inferno or disrupter ammo is great. It primes, then you can blow it up.

For a biotic, the acolyte is the way to go. Maybe the wraith if you need a little pop.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net
#7Crimsonhead4Posted 11/27/2012 8:00:46 AM
zhoban posted...
ROBPW1 posted...

Something with a fast cool down. Carnifex, Acolyte, Talon and the Eagle are all good choices. Though I wouldn't recommend firing the Eagle, enemies will laugh at you and say, "Are you even trying anymore?"

Well the inclusion of the pistol heavy barrel works very well with the eagle due to it's already very low weight. With weight upgrades from the training tree your cooldown should still be I the 170's. Also it can out damage a hurricane of equal level and is a hell of alot more accurate too
#8Mr_PipboyPosted 11/27/2012 8:02:57 AM
Crimsonhead4 posted...
zhoban posted...
ROBPW1 posted...

Well the inclusion of the pistol heavy barrel works very well with the eagle due to it's already very low weight. With weight upgrades from the training tree your cooldown should still be I the 170's. Also it can out damage a hurricane of equal level and is a hell of alot more accurate too

when I was grinding for the pistol challenge, I used the eagle II on a MQI and consistently scored over 150K. It turned me around on the gun. The Eagle is solid.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net
#9ROBPW1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 10:16:05 AM
When we had the N7 challenge, I used the Eagle quite well. It is good with a scope and a ammo power.
I definitely need to get some more guns from the packs, since I keep getting the same ones I don't want over and over it seems.
#10code_kirinPosted 11/27/2012 10:29:03 AM
You want a good weapon with moderate to little weight, generally. Keep in mind there's nothing sacred about keeping 200% except on maybe a handful of classes. Anything above 100% can be decent, though I personally like to keep it above 150% or so.

Mattock is a fine weapon all around. If it's working for you, there's not much that'll top it for a caster aside from ultra rare weapons at or near X. Talon is an amazing caster pistol that boasts the best damage of its class as well as a shield/barrier 1.5x multiplier. Eagle's a great gun now, especially with Heavy Barrel. If you have it at a decent level it'll weigh less than a Mattock X with the heavy barrel equipped and do comparable damage. Also saves AR rail amps.

Arc Pistol is pretty good now as well, though it does have a learning curve. It can fire a charged shot as strong as a Mantis every second with up to 5 shots per clip, or it can rapidfire in case you need to finish something off. There's really no reason to use a Carnifex now that Arc Pistol has been buffed.

Acolyte is most useful on classes with Pull/Singularity, or the female quarian engineer who otherwise can't handle shields. It's a decent sidearm to carry around on other classes in case you want to strip shields off a boss as well. Hurricane is obviously a DPS beast if you can handle the recoil. Tempest, Locust, and Collector SMG (only at high levels) also work decently.