Can we all agree that mass effect 3 was not that great of a game?

#101KrudmuffinsPosted 12/2/2012 10:28:11 PM
Raze_da_Kitsune posted...
Mass Effect 3 is amazing despite the endings.

Each individual part of Mass Effect 3 was -good-, the endings were entirely bad, the complete flow of the game was mediocre.

ME3 has a funny combonation of the best and worst of the whole series, at least in my opinion.
---
I dislike my username.
#102BlackMetalisWarPosted 12/2/2012 11:41:48 PM
Disagree.

This game IS great.......because of the multiplayer.
If it wasn't for that, I'd agree with you TC.
---
Deathcore is garbage.
#103thewhitelightPosted 12/2/2012 11:48:23 PM
Watched my friend start ME2 for the first time tonight. I was really struck by how much more open ended the game was, and how much more fleshed out the world seemed (and he's only been to a small part of Omega so far). ME3 really has a problem where it feels like the universe revolves around Shepard, which makes it feel so much smaller. ME2 feels like a full Galaxy that we're only seeing a sliver of.
#104Trent_RestonPosted 12/3/2012 12:15:31 AM
BlackMetalisWar posted...
Disagree.

If that's your only case for your reasoning it's poor. There is only one mode in multiplayer and it's a glorified hoard mode.

ME2 was far superior in every way and it did not have any multiplayer. Mass Effect was for the story. The multiplayer was most likely tacked on by EA just to make it more marketable.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs where stating your opinion is an open declaration of war.
#105BDJaycePosted 12/3/2012 12:18:41 AM
Disagree.

It's MY opinion that the multiplayer is good but the single player suffered PRIMARILY because of that multiplayer.

If it wasn't for the multiplayer I believe they would've put more time into the construction of the single player including but not limited to the ending. Multiplayer ruins everything good...
---
GT: JamesBolton0723
#106SpankyMagooPosted 12/3/2012 12:30:33 AM
I think there were parts that were really well done in the SP. Tuchanka, for example was great. Both Wrex and Mordin's arcs were the shining moments for that game to me. Pretty much everything else though was mediocre. I absolutely hate the way that they went with pretty much all of the ME2 squaddies namely Miranda, The "Galaxy at War" system (Choices = Numbers) and i'm not even going to get started on Cerberus or the endings .

So yes I think that there are alot of people who will agree it isnt just the endings that were poorly handled.

I also thought the mp was pretty boring after the first week or so but not as bad as I expected.
---
GT: Spanky Magoo
"People who are offended by hypothetical situations can hypothetically **** themselves"
#107NafzgerPosted 12/3/2012 2:48:33 AM
Muflaggin posted...
Muflaggin posted...
The ending killed the series for me. I could have wrote a better ending that would have made more sense. The ending demonstrated to me that they did not understand the universe that they created. The whole ordeal has made me hate the term "labor of love".

No you couldn't.

WTF are you talking about? Anyone could come up with something better than that crap. The Dog Ending from SH2 would have been preferable.

No not really. But keep telling yourself that. ^_^

Sounds to me like you're a really uncreative person. You do realize that the writers are just people, right? They aren't gods. It's not impossible for other people to come up with something superior. Prime Example: Bioware themselves. KOTOR > the SW Prequel trilogy, which was written by the series' creator. KOTOR is fan fiction turned into a game. The entire EU is fan fiction. Why do you believe ME3 to be untouchable?
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#108BlackMetalisWarPosted 12/3/2012 3:10:06 AM
Trent_Reston posted...
Disagree.

If that's your only case for your reasoning it's poor. There is only one mode in multiplayer and it's a glorified hoard mode.

ME2 was far superior in every way and it did not have any multiplayer. Mass Effect was for the story. The multiplayer was most likely tacked on by EA just to make it more marketable.

My bad, that sounded wrong...
Nah, not my only reasoning. I did enjoy the SP, despite it not at all being up to par with the previous 2. (and being shorter) The multiplayer just overshadows the SP (I have over 500 hours in it) and is my GOTY because of it.

Yeah, the multiplayer did "gimp" the SP, but the former turned out so good, I didn't mind TBQH.
---
Deathcore is garbage.
#109Infinity_DragonPosted 12/3/2012 3:57:58 AM
JD1LLADAKI7VG posted...
I feel like the people that support ME3 didn't care about the series to begin with. It sounds like you hopped in at the third game, only played the multiplayer and because you somehow had fun with a repetitive multiplayer experience you deem ME3 the best. Most of you ME3 supporters don't even have an argument!

Oh christ, ok. Firstly, for a lot of us, ME3 is the most fun game in the series to just sit down and play. It strikes the best balance between having equipment that matters without bogging the fun down with hours of tedious garbage management, and just being a fun shooting game. I liked the way that character building 'felt' in ME3 the most. I like RPGs and all, but inventory management in the first game was boring, and they swung too far back the other way in 2. 3 got it right. Also there's multiplayer for those that enjoy it, and many of us do.

If having the best gameplay in the series was literally all ME3 had going for it, that would still be significant, but it's not. Not really.

ME1 is widely regarded as having the strongest plot in the series, I usually see this parroted as the reason why it's still a great game to this day. Thing is though, the plot really isn't that great. It's certainly the strongest central storyline in the series, yeah, and it has some really strong and cool elements. Namely, the feel of the universe and the lore and background put into things, and the villains are great. Still, it's no Planescape: Torment. It's just a decent story about saving the galaxy from a big evil.

Problem is: The characters are honestly really weak in the first game, and I like the series for its characters moreso than for the actual plot. I'll argue forever that Mass Effect 2 had my favorite narrative in the series because while the central story was weak, the characters were amazingly realized. The first game really doesn't hold up well at all comparatively.

Now, with this in mind, ME3 has some of the best character moments in the franchise. Tuchanka was great. The resolution of Thane's character was great. Little conversations on the ship, not only with you, but between crew members who actually moved around talking to eachother were a really enjoyable addition. Hell, I even liked Rannoch. Yes, the ending was disappointing and Cerberus got all weird in ME3, but as a person who plays the series specifically for the characters, there's plenty to like in the game.
---
Praise the sun!
#110DiamondAce18Posted 12/3/2012 4:28:51 AM
thewhitelight posted...
Watched my friend start ME2 for the first time tonight. I was really struck by how much more open ended the game was, and how much more fleshed out the world seemed (and he's only been to a small part of Omega so far). ME3 really has a problem where it feels like the universe revolves around Shepard, which makes it feel so much smaller. ME2 feels like a full Galaxy that we're only seeing a sliver of.

This actually. I always felt that if War Assets were obtained through the same detailed side missions (ala N7 missions in ME2), it would have largely more appreciated, IMO. That and the Omega DLC could've been an excellent hub world to insert new weapon DLCs as a way to purchase or obtain the weapons (albeit new or MP weapons).

That was really my biggest grind with the game (there were awkward parts of the game I didn't agree with; like how Kai Leng had plot armor and the fact that none of the past squadmates had significant roles to play. Like seriously, I wouldn't have minded the new squad if I knew I could have a chance to do new missions with the older squad in a temporary capacity, at least). Overall, the game had its good parts and its bad parts, but potential it had to be a near flawless game was blundered by bad judgment calls and empty promises by Bioware. Mind you, I'm don't hate them for anything, I just feel that there could've been a better way to handle all of this. ;o