So what's the big craze with calling the characters "kits" and "toons"?

#11BhelliumPosted 12/5/2012 6:24:18 AM
that is most of it, though I've never liked the term there either
at least it made sense for one mmo
---
You are now aware that the island of Tar Valon from the Wheel of Time is a yonic symbol.
http://images.wikia.com/wot/images/9/9c/Tarvalonmap.png
#12sirisaxmanPosted 12/5/2012 9:42:30 AM
I always just assumed "toons" was a reference to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Was I wrong? lol
---
GT: MikkoMetevinio; Steam: sirisaxman
"Yes sir, a local airborne insurgency has infiltrated the U.S. zone designated as my pants, sir!" - Sgt. Lugo
#13jaydigPosted 12/5/2012 11:31:32 AM
I used to hear "toon" a lot during my brief adventure with World of Warcraft. It never sounded right to me.
#14Grayfoxr6Posted 12/5/2012 12:23:20 PM
bad habit i picked up from my years playing WoW... need to kick it since i just caught myself in my last post referencing "toons"...

as for kit, i heard it when i was in the army and i relate it to gear loadout.
---
XBL and PSN: Feralchicken01
You know why they call it PMS??? because "mad cow disease" was already taken.
#15RustyShacklefrd(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 12:51:47 PM
SinisterSamurai posted...
"Kit" is used the menus. I don't get why anyone questions its use.

Where is it used in the menu? I'm on right now and I'm not seeing it anywhere.
#16Mr_PipboyPosted 12/5/2012 1:02:28 PM
Toons always makes me think of Ender's Game.
---
In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.
www.Omega-level.net | Salarian Sniper King of Rio 1-0
#17DuneManPosted 12/5/2012 1:06:47 PM
I'll say it again in this topic...

This is a toon:
http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/Roger-Rabbit.jpg
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#18SinisterSamuraiPosted 12/5/2012 1:34:50 PM(edited)
RustyShacklefrd posted...
SinisterSamurai posted...
"Kit" is used the menus. I don't get why anyone questions its use.

Where is it used in the menu? I'm on right now and I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Select Character outside of a lobby. Look at the right side of the screen, at the "chart".
Kit
Pwr A | B | C

Weapons
Wep1 | Mod1 Mod2
Wep2 | Mod3 Mod4

Equipment
Ammo | Weapon
Armor | Gear

Go into a lobby. Tap -> until chart appears. Look at the chart. Same thing.
Kit
Weapons
Equipment

How many of the rest of you missed this? If it were a snake it would have bitten you.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
#19ShadowangemonPosted 12/5/2012 1:40:26 PM(edited)
Just to nitpick a little, that "Kit" there is referring to what that character is taking into battle. Which is a fairly normal use of the word. So the little dude to the left of that isn't the Kit itself, but is the one with the Kit.

The menu also has "Change Character." And pressing Y to "Change Character" brings you to the "Characters" menu where you can view "Character Information."
---
"Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!"
#20SinisterSamuraiPosted 12/5/2012 1:46:37 PM(edited)
Shadowangemon posted...
Just to nitpick a little, that "Kit" there is referring to what that character is taking into battle. Which is a fairly normal use of the word. So the little dude to the left of that isn't the Kit itself, but is the one with the Kit.

That makes perfect sense to think of it that way, because that's how the existing definition of kit works. But the Kit is just as big as weapons and equipment there. It is its own section, and refers specifically to the collection of powers available. It doesn't refer to class, because that's Adpet, Soldier, Engineer, etc. It doesn't refer to character, because the base humans are two different characters with the same kit. A character could also include a name and appearance. When a player uses the term in reference to the game, it only refers specifically to what the game uses that label for.

So saying, "What is your favorite kit?" isn't asking what weapons and consumables you use. You are asking what someone's favorite combination of non-passive powers are. It's a game term, it's in plain sight. If you want to be confused, be confused as to why the devs chose the term. But don't be confused as to why players use it.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.