Epiphany I had about the ending and ME4 (spoilers)

#11bessy67Posted 12/5/2012 2:31:12 PM
MurphysGhost posted...
SageOfLife posted...

That's because the KotOR games are part of a much larger canon.

And the ME trilogy is quickly becoming the same thing. ;)

But at this point mass effect has, as canon, 4 completely different branching story lines to cover. Unless they go back in time to other events (prothean cycle, morning war, first contact war, rachni war) they'll have to choose one ME3 ending as canon and after the flak they got from the ME3 ending I'd assume they'd be hesitant to make player choice matter even less than it already does.
---
"Immigrants. Thats all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#12MurphysGhostPosted 12/5/2012 2:32:30 PM(edited)
My point is that through books, movies, new games, etc. BW/EA seems pretty intent on expanding the universe.

Having to tap-dance around every major decision in the entire trilogy is going to put a major damper on that going forward.

I could be wrong, just sayin'- I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it happened sooner than later (a canon being established). I think it makes sense, frankly.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#13PsyrenCallPosted 12/5/2012 2:35:29 PM
If a sequel, not a prequel, is to be made, then a canon ending is a requirement. It would be too much work to develop a game with three entirely different basic plotlines to accommodate the ending choices. Unless, of course, they pulled an SD3, a game with three distinct beginnings and endings, but the main game had the same progression.I doubt EA would give them the time and budget for that, though.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
#14ShadowangemonPosted 12/5/2012 2:46:54 PM
PsyrenCall posted...
If a sequel, not a prequel, is to be made, then a canon ending is a requirement. It would be too much work to develop a game with three entirely different basic plotlines to accommodate the ending choices. Unless, of course, they pulled an SD3, a game with three distinct beginnings and endings, but the main game had the same progression.I doubt EA would give them the time and budget for that, though.

Let's be honest. The endings aren't all that "distinct." If they went that route, they could seriously just switch around some NPCs, skins, and lines of dialogue.

I personally want a prequel that takes place during the Rachni War and/or Krogan Rebellions. They could make a series of that alone.
---
"Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!"
#15Jashin_SamaPosted 12/5/2012 4:35:16 PM
Shadowangemon posted...
Wasn't it specifically N7 armor? It's just kinda Shepard.

Conrad Verner had N7 armor.

Also, Shepard wasn't the only N7 operative the Alliance had, and he most definitely wasn't the only one they sent to Earth during the final fight.
---
Who the hell is Zilong17? Probably Black Chaos Soldier's alt. - MegaSTV
#16ChronoAcePosted 12/5/2012 5:28:29 PM
Considering the "breath" voice changes to male/female depending on your Shepard, I doubt it.

As for making a canon ending, I doubt many people would give a **** if they just made high EMS Destroy canon (considering nobody actually liked control/synthesis). That way we can have a sequel instead of some useless prequel.
#17ShadowangemonPosted 12/5/2012 5:40:03 PM
Jashin_Sama posted...
Shadowangemon posted...

Also, Shepard wasn't the only N7 operative the Alliance had, and he most definitely wasn't the only one they sent to Earth during the final fight.

Obviously there are other N7s, but when has Bioware ever referenced N7 without it referring to Shepard? Conrad wore the armor because of Shepard. Vega is the only other character in the entire game you even really hear talk about N7. You see more Spectres than N7.
---
"Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!"
#18Jashin_SamaPosted 12/5/2012 8:12:09 PM
Shadowangemon posted...
Jashin_Sama posted...
Shadowangemon posted...

Obviously there are other N7s, but when has Bioware ever referenced N7 without it referring to Shepard? Conrad wore the armor because of Shepard. Vega is the only other character in the entire game you even really hear talk about N7. You see more Spectres than N7.

It's already confirmed that the person shown awakening is Shepard anyway, so I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying, the idea that "It's N7 armor so it can only be Shepard" is misleading. <_<
---
Who the hell is Zilong17? Probably Black Chaos Soldier's alt. - MegaSTV
#19NafzgerPosted 12/5/2012 8:18:48 PM
How to make the endings canon and still follow the same plot line.

If you chose synthesis: THE REAPERS HAVE TURNED ON US
If you chose control: SHEPARD HAS TURNED ON US
If you chose destroy: THE REAPERS WERE ONLY TEMPORARILY DEACTIVATED
If you refused all of the choices: THE WAR IS STILL HAPPENING.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher