Why do people keep bashing this game?

#31garanPosted 12/6/2012 12:58:35 PM
I hate this game because of the writing and terrible dialogue. The auto-dialogue and face import failure both destroyed my immersion. Plus, the game was pretty much completely linear with very few actual choices, especially for anyone wanting to play a Renegade.

I still find it hard to believe that the dialogue system, the best thing about ME1 & ME2, was ruined for this horrible finale. Plus, the tiny squad means that I have a lot less interest in playing any of my other 8 imports from ME2 because I don't want to just use the same squad over & over again.
#32Rafficus_IIIPosted 12/6/2012 2:12:37 PM
Well, that actually deserves a very multi-faceted explanation because there are different layers of critics and/or bashers. You see, a lot of the negativity that swirls around this game isn't solely rooted to just one main problem as many would proclaim. It's a lot deeper and things just cluster together and gives off the appearance many of the critics or bashers are united under the same banner. They aren't.

To clarify: not every critic is a basher, nor is every basher a true critic. They're quite different. It's pretty simple to distinguish one from the other. Though many bashers will attempt to use the guise of being a critic, they will only offer up scathing vitriol and make hostile remarks about the game/developers/publishers and anyone who is rather vocal about enjoying the game. Whereas a critic will analyze not only what didn't work, but what also did work, while offering insight as to how we can improve the errors of current or former installment.

To address my previous statement as to the many different layers of critics and bashers, it's really not that hard to figure people out and what they are yearning for and why they are so vocal with negativity. The majority seems to be fans who felt the ending was unsatisfying, left too many plotholes, and did not give proper closure to squadmates or us (Shepard). However, bashers aren't entirely confined to this mindset.

One section simply just doesn't like ME3's SP at all; everything is wrong. Another, theorizes MP cut resources to SP and is the reason why the ending is bad; they overlook the fact that you can't shake more resources/money at Bioware and cause Hudson/Walters to change their creative direction, the ending was going to happen and resources would have probably went elsewhere. Some just want a brand spanking new ending that is more coherent, or even a reboot. Then we have the faction living in the past who wants Bioware to return to Baldurs Gate type of games and indulge in the past; not bad, if you want to be a ghost. There are also those who feel they are given a free pass to harass and flagrantly insult other human beings because it is their right as a consumer to do so and protect this mindset by either a) offensively calling others sheep or b) by becoming defensive and claiming the product should live up to their expectations/hopes and shouldn't be underwhelming (they more than likely sued McDonalds for making them fat as well). And lastly, we have the people who love to hate on it just for the sake of it, whether it is directed towards Bioware, EA, ME3 itself, or whatever, they just feed on it. We even have people who have resorted to threats and have made incredibly trashy comments to other posters as well as Bioware staff.

That being said, Bioware, EA, and ME3 do deserve criticism for quite a few things. But bashings, no. The problem is, people were not realistic and were p***ed the moment their high hopes and expectations came crashing down. While Bioware made a lot of hype statements that led us astray in how we imagined the finale, a lot of the bashers and critics did paint a picture for themselves based off of unfounded hopes and expectations that was largely unrealistic. Bioware got sloppy with the ending and there are quite a slew of faults, but I think many have allowed their emotions cloud their rational outlook on this game that actually does a lot of good. Then again, I see a lot of the same "critics" of ME2 who hailed ME1, now hailing ME2 and picking apart ME3. Perhaps it'll pass with time, but who knows. It's best to enjoy your game and your life on your own terms, void of others influences during your experience.
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://i48.tinypic.com/15mbg2t.jpg | The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs
#33OEIO999Posted 12/6/2012 2:31:58 PM
SP, nuff' said

Bio-drones won't get it
#34Wii0playerPosted 12/6/2012 3:08:07 PM
Because of broken promises, and poor writing.

Some of the promises made ended up being outright lies. For example, my sig and the promises Bioware made about the Rachni decision having huge far reaching consequences. Let's not forget about the game not having a forced A,B,C ending according to Casey Hudson.

The broken promises ended up being the reason why someone filed an False advertising complaint. Said complaint apparently had some weight to it, despite everyone bashing the guy who did it.

Then there's the writing. People didn't like that the Crucible was in the game, not only because Casey Hudson said such a device wasn't going to be in the game, but because the machine is a Deus Ex Machina. You'd think Humanity would've explored the Prothean ruins on Mars some more...but no they wait till the Reapers show up and bam there's the insta-win button.

People also didn't like the extremely forced moments that would happen just for the sake of drama. Kai Leng somehow killing Thane while Thane had a gun and Leng had a sword (Shepard and crew were also backing Thane up). Then there was Legion's death, where he just dies for no explainable reason. Also, Shepard's death in the destroy ending doesn't make sense, why would he walk into the explosion?

Other things that were forced, included Cerberus suddenly doing another 180 to become uber evil again just so the game could have some more enemy variety. Seriously everything Cerberus tried to ever accomplish failed, the exception being Shepard's revival. Every experiment in ME1 was a failure, every experiment in ME2 (Overlord, Derelict Reaper) was a failure, and their attempt to control the Reapers was yet another failure. What was the point of this group again?

Then theres the question of how Cerberus was able to take down the Shadow Broker, Take over Omega, and forge a massive army when their numbers were less than 50 as they lost both cells (Lazarus and Overlord) which contained 100 of their previous 150 operatives. Horizon couldn't of been that much of contributing factor as the Reaper war didn't even start before Cerberus had took control of Omega.

Tuchanka was the highlight of the series for me. As every relatable choice you made came into play, and the consequences could be far reaching as Bioware said they would.

tldr not many people have been kicked this hard in the face before by something they loved, which is why people keep bashing or criticizing.
---
"In Mass Effect 3, the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You wont just find some long-lost Reaper off button."-Casey ******* Hudson.
#35Carribean_CoolPosted 12/6/2012 3:12:56 PM
Because ME3 had so much hype and so many promises, and we were lead to believe that a lot of stuff would be in the game. But come the final product, we didn't even get half of what the game was hyped up to be.

-The trail that they kept talking about was absent from the game.

-The temporary squadmates we were supposed to get didn't make it in.

- Choices barely making a dent. Save the collector base? TIM grabs intel and salvaged the human reaper. Destroyed it? TIM still manages to grab intel, and salvage the whole freaking human reaper, despite seeing everything getting vaporized. Monumental choice like the rachni queen gets castrated and reduced to a sidequest, and we never see her again after that. Killed her in ME1, there's a queen anyway.

-"16" different endings all effected by your choices was absent.

-Majority of the sidequests consisting of eavesdropping, scanning a planet, and return to the person you eavesdropped off of. What really ruined it for me was the elcor evacuation quest.

-1 hub world. Yes, it does make sense from a story point of view, but we really should have explored Earth and Thessia before they got rocked hard. In fact I would have preferred the invasion to happen at the latter parts of the game.

-The squad. EDI ruined that for me.

-Treatment of ME2 squadmates. Giving them a 10 minute screen time, and basically getting screwed over, as well as their romances. Especially with Legion, since we only got him for literally 2 main storyline missions in ME2. We should have had a good chunk on the squad, and some as temps.

-Squadmates getting Zaeed/Kasumi treatment for Normandy dialogue.

- Final mission. After the suicide mission, we should have gotten something similar.

I mean, the ending and plot, really did not bug me. I mean ME2's story may have not been top notch, but at least the game itself made up for it in other areas such as the squad, hub worlds, the missions, suicide mission and it's DLC. ME3 is definitely rushed, and didn't include everything BW wanted to. Had they had all the time and resources, no doubt ME3 would have been the best in the series, good ending or bad ending. Yes, it looks like I despise ME3 with those points I listed, but I don't. It's just that the SP pales in comparison to the first 2 games. All IMO btw. Well, at least it has good MP.
---
Snitsky's Condoms. If she get's pregnant, it's not your fault.
#36Adam314-Posted 12/6/2012 3:25:09 PM
Carribean_Cool posted...
Because ME3 had so much hype and so many promises, and we were lead to believe that a lot of stuff would be in the game. But come the final product, we didn't even get half of what the game was hyped up to be.

-The trail that they kept talking about was absent from the game.

-The temporary squadmates we were supposed to get didn't make it in.

- Choices barely making a dent. Save the collector base? TIM grabs intel and salvaged the human reaper. Destroyed it? TIM still manages to grab intel, and salvage the whole freaking human reaper, despite seeing everything getting vaporized. Monumental choice like the rachni queen gets castrated and reduced to a sidequest, and we never see her again after that. Killed her in ME1, there's a queen anyway.

-"16" different endings all effected by your choices was absent.

-Majority of the sidequests consisting of eavesdropping, scanning a planet, and return to the person you eavesdropped off of. What really ruined it for me was the elcor evacuation quest.

-1 hub world. Yes, it does make sense from a story point of view, but we really should have explored Earth and Thessia before they got rocked hard. In fact I would have preferred the invasion to happen at the latter parts of the game.

-The squad. EDI ruined that for me.

-Treatment of ME2 squadmates. Giving them a 10 minute screen time, and basically getting screwed over, as well as their romances. Especially with Legion, since we only got him for literally 2 main storyline missions in ME2. We should have had a good chunk on the squad, and some as temps.

-Squadmates getting Zaeed/Kasumi treatment for Normandy dialogue.

- Final mission. After the suicide mission, we should have gotten something similar.

I mean, the ending and plot, really did not bug me. I mean ME2's story may have not been top notch, but at least the game itself made up for it in other areas such as the squad, hub worlds, the missions, suicide mission and it's DLC. ME3 is definitely rushed, and didn't include everything BW wanted to. Had they had all the time and resources, no doubt ME3 would have been the best in the series, good ending or bad ending. Yes, it looks like I despise ME3 with those points I listed, but I don't. It's just that the SP pales in comparison to the first 2 games. All IMO btw. Well, at least it has good MP.

Basically nailed it all. I love the game, but it just doesn't live up to the standard set by the series thus far. They cut out a lot of things that made Mass Effect 1/2 kick ass, and then basically marginalized all of the major things that happened in the previous games.
#37ShadowangemonPosted 12/6/2012 3:32:18 PM
Right. I don't think most people really hate it, we just feel let down because we know it could have and should have been better.
---
"Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for!"
#38Halo_ForeverPosted 12/7/2012 12:45:56 AM
Depend on what whether the gameplay or story was more important to you. If you came in expecting a decent story this game deserves every bashing it can possibly get, since it went from average novel to Marvel Ultimate Alliance level nonsense in a during the series.

Despite me rating the story 2/10, I'd still give the game 9/10.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....