Just finished ME Series for the first time, and quite frankly....

#21meltor13Posted 12/7/2012 2:45:03 PM(edited)
I'm convinced at this point that it will be impossible to please a large portion of "fans" for any game series both now and in the future.

A simple look at the top games that have came out in the past several years will reveal what I'm talking about.

Call of Duty, despite breaking record after record in sales and continually sitting on top of the Xbox Live charts is berated across the internet and beyond as a horrible series and terrible games.

Halo has turned into the same thing. Complaints across the board, even as the series has surpassed 50 million total sales and similar Xbox Live domination throughout the years as CoD. 343i hit the ground running with a stellar game in Halo 4 and if you take a look around the internet you won't find much but complaints, despite this probably being the best Halo since Halo2/3 (and possibly even better than 2, the game that everyone forgets had any flaws).

I could go on and on...Elder Scrolls series, Assassin's Creed, etc. etc. Despite selling really well and having tons and tons of people play continually online, all of these games get berated on the internet consistently for a multitude of 'valid' reasons.

Mass Effect suffers the same fate. It has become somewhat of a cult classic among video games, despite relatively lackluster sales across the series, and despite its popularity and exceedingly positive reviews, it gets hammered by a vocal mass of fans.

Ask anyone what the best game for each series is. Very likely, the majority of answers you will get will be first games in the series, or, at least, the beginning of their rise to popularity (CoD 4: MW, Halo: CE or Halo 2, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood, and for ME it will probably be Mass Effect and maybe an occasional ME2). That's not because that game is particularly the best. It's because that initial game sticks with them. Changes that occur afterward (even if they are for the better) don't line up with that initial experience and thus corrupts our views of the games that follow.

Could go further, but i'll just add a TL;DR.

No, ME3 (or insert pretty much any other game here) is not perfect. It has flaws. Is it anywhere near as bad as most people make it out to be? No. Will this type of reaction towards video games (throw movies in there too) continue? All signs point to 'Yes'. So get used to it.

EDIT: BTW, not coming back to this topic so if you're expecting a reply from me after you attempt to start some internet slapfight, you'll be on your own. kthxbye.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#22XeroxicidePosted 12/7/2012 2:51:32 PM
To the people that are having difficulty understanding why people don't like the ending: have you actually read any of the critiques or watched any of the videos that go into great detail illustrating why it was bad?
---
I remember when GameFAQs was good.
#23jessica73Posted 12/7/2012 3:41:02 PM(edited)

Instead you got a trey eight slug to the cranium, I got six, and I'm aimin' them

still a better ending than you know what

The original ending to ME3 is meh, the extended cut doesn't really tell you anything that you didn't already know (except the short cut-scene after THE CHOICE). But despite the original endings short comings, no game ending can ever be as bad as Fable II's ending.

It still makes me mad to this very day, all that symbolism and build up for such an anti-climactic ending...........

More money than you can spend in a lifetime my ***!!!!

Can't even buy the castle in the game with that money! SO IT IS INHERINTLY NOT MORE THAN I CAN SPEND IN A LIFETIME YOU BLIND *****!!!!!!!

Needs of the One sucks, that's why. Many and few were better endings. Dunno why you'd take the money outside for 1350/1350 though, who didn't have tens to hundreds of millions from real estate. @_@ Few is good just because the one person he took everything from to get his own family back, gets it back at the expense of Lucien's wish. Many undoes it as the sacrifice of all the spire workers isn't as important as your own family, something Lucien didn't get obviously. At least you get a statue >_>
---
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/thebotqueen.png
#24xionnoixPosted 12/7/2012 3:16:48 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
I beat it before the EC and I felt the ending was rushed, not well explained, and a bit of a disappointment(before the EC), but I thought that the reaction by a lot of the fans was a bit much. If the ending of a video game really has that big of an effect on your life, you probably have bigger problems.

i agree with this.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9bxgM.jpg
#25MurphysGhostPosted 12/7/2012 3:24:04 PM
@ Meltor- Agreed.
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#26Rafficus_IIIPosted 12/7/2012 3:35:51 PM
jessica73 posted...
I think a lot of people teared up. I had uncontrollable projectile vomiting and laughter at the same time, which was a really bad combo.
5-6 years build up to that? meh, I could have had a v8

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7udd8j7kx1qfui5oo1_500.gif#broken%20record%20gif%20500x375
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://i48.tinypic.com/15mbg2t.jpg | The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs
#27jessica73Posted 12/7/2012 3:39:46 PM
I'm just joking you goober. Like anyone would seriously mean something like that.
I mean it sucked, but like the epilogue to HP, it can safely be ignored, especially when this year had a metric ton of good games to wash it away.
---
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8176/1257314186723.gif