Why there are so many people using 2 weapons?

#51meltor13Posted 12/14/2012 8:05:18 AM
MurphysGhost posted...
meltor13 posted...
Hey while we're on this topic. I have a GPS IX and and Claymore II. For general purpose use, which one would be better.

Don't most mods kind of suck with the GPS? or not work at all?

I prefer the Claymore but I always reload-cancel and I hate the GPS charging mechanic.

With the GPS the armor piercing mod is worthless (since it ignores armor and can't ever penetrate cover/guardian shield), the choke is pretty close to worthless, and I might remember that the bayonet (melee) attachment doesn't work on it either? So basically damage + spare ammo, unless I'm wrong about that melee attachment.

In your case... I dunno, try 'em both, see what you like. I'd probably use the Claymore.

yeah i hate not being able to just plow through Guardians and they like. But I just realized that my GPS is almost maxxed and my Claymore is just at level 2, so i figured there might be a significant enough of a difference to start using the GPS a bit more. I may try it out. I currently only rock it on my Gethfiltrator, who I haven't played in forevs.
---
MarioKart 64 Main: Bowser
GT: MELTOR13
#52NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 8:05:33 AM
BitterBear posted...
I wasn't changing the subject. Sure, yeah, you're better than me, bro. That's cool. I'm just saying that you can play the game a lot of different ways and enjoy great success. You don't have to minmax ME3 MP as long as you're reasonably competent.

Besides, it's co-op. Even if other players do better than me, I still win! Have a good one, guy. I completely disagree with you. Not that you can't do awesome with one weapon only, but that carrying two makes you a poor player.

Carrying two weapons is pointless, especially when one of them is an Acolyte. Any other pistol can do exactly what the Acolyte can, plus it can do damage to health or armour or whatever else.

By the time you switch from your primary weapon to an Acolyte to take out a Phantom's shields, I have already dropped her barriers and at least dropped her down to half health if not less with my one weapon.

If you're sniping, it would be much faster to simply heavy melee the enemy flanking you and then either quickscope or hipfire on them while they're staggered, than it would be to go through the trouble of switching to your sidearm to take them out.

You're putting yourself in unnecessary danger. That's bad.

If you're so concerned about dropping shields, we have Disruptor and Phasic rounds.
---
XBL:ArsenalofGlory | PSN: Nafzger
http://www.last.fm/user/Rainbow_Smasher
#53Hui_TianPosted 12/14/2012 8:07:01 AM
meltor13 posted...
Hey while we're on this topic. I have a GPS IX and and Claymore II. For general purpose use, which one would be better.

Don't most mods kind of suck with the GPS? or not work at all?

anything that does piercing or damage versus armor doesn't work with the GPS... so that pretty much just leaves Ammo Capacity, Damage, and melee-buffs (omniblade and bayonet)... technically, I believe the Smart Choke makes targeting "easier" but its already a homing weapon, so its not necessary

They're both two very different shotties... The GPS is more reliable at a longer range with its homing and multi-clip capacity, but a lot of people like myself aren't that big on the homing projectile. It also feels like it'll miss a lot at close range because it'll home on the wrong target, but that could just be user error. Also note, the GPS isn't affected by armor damage reduction from big guys...
the Claymore on the other hand is a nice solid single shot beatthesnotoutofthem shotgun. Its accuracy without the smart choke is kind of lackluster, but once you put the smartchoke on it'll shine at mid-range and further. Can one-shot most any mook on silver without a headshot, even with shields. But, its a 1-shot weapon, so if you miss or there are multiple opponents, you may find yourself struggling to get the reload-cancel out.

still I prefer the claymore, but its really a preference as that they both have their advantages

as for this topic of two weapons.. I'm pretty sure Bitter Bear has the right approach, its a game.. do what you enjoy, does it really matter what anyone else says? If you play with randoms, there's a solid chance they'll kick you because they think you're using a noob weapon, are too low of a level, or just an ugly person whom they don't want to be seen playing with...
#54NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 8:16:09 AM(edited)
GPS vs Claymore.

Claymore is great at short to high mid range, does tons of damage. Downsides are that it's heavy and it has a limited ammo capacity.

GPS is good for mid to long range, and also does tons of damage. Downsides are that it has a charging mechanic and limited ammo capacity.

So they're both about the same when you think about it. It just depends on how far away from the enemy you want to be. You can practically snipe with a GPS, but up close that thing is bogus. The Claymore on the other hand, you can hit from pretty far away (albeit for less damage), but it's a monster up close.

As for rank 2 vs rank 9: I didn't even start liking the GPS until a few weeks ago, so I always used the Claymore over it, even when my Claymore was a lower level. But my playstyle benefits from the Claymore more than the GPS. I'm always up close to stuff.
---
#55foodeater4Posted 12/14/2012 8:18:50 AM
Nafzger posted...
BitterBear posted...
Wow. This couldn't be more wrong. Reasons to take two weapons:

-You're playing a cooldown-ignoring class and build, like a Destroyer or Krogan Sentinel. Why not take two weapons?

-You're taking two light-weight weapons that serve different purposes (ex. Acolyte + Hurricane).

-You're taking one heavy weapon with a light-weight backup because there are some situations where the heavy weapon isn't the optimal choice (ex. Black Widow + Hurricane).

-One of the weapons is the Acolyte. That gun is so versatile and light there's almost no excuse not to carry it, period.

Nafzger, I really hope you were joking/trolling, because that's one of the most ignorant things I've seen anyone say on these boards yet (which is really saying something).

2) You don't need an acolyte if you have a Hurricane. Hurricanes will rip down shields just fine. The Acolyte is the new crutch weapon. We were dropping shields just fine before it came out. You don't need to take it.

Lesson learned.

Wow this is so wrong.

First, plenty of people prolly dont have the hurricane.

Finally on gold, one acolyte shot can strip full shields off all the normal enemies who have shields, then they are easily disapcted with powers. Hurricane while good against shields, isnt that good.
#56CoconutMayPosted 12/14/2012 8:25:54 AM
Nafzger posted...
BitterBear posted...
I wasn't changing the subject. Sure, yeah, you're better than me, bro. That's cool. I'm just saying that you can play the game a lot of different ways and enjoy great success. You don't have to minmax ME3 MP as long as you're reasonably competent.

Besides, it's co-op. Even if other players do better than me, I still win! Have a good one, guy. I completely disagree with you. Not that you can't do awesome with one weapon only, but that carrying two makes you a poor player.

Carrying two weapons is pointless, especially when one of them is an Acolyte. Any other pistol can do exactly what the Acolyte can, plus it can do damage to health or armour or whatever else.

Right, because Praetorians' and Atlas' have paper-thin shields and definitely don't appear very often.

On topic, the only class I really use a secondary gun is the Justicar. Acolyte for mooks to pull-reave, and Hurricane for bosses.
---
Have you seen my sisters? Last I saw them they were standing in a row. They are quite lovely.
#57Grayfoxr6Posted 12/14/2012 9:00:50 AM
i used to carry 2... alot. actually i used to carry 2 on my destroyer until recently lol then figured "hey a$$ you have the HML you dont need 2"

only time ill carry 2 now is if im trying to knock out challenges faster.

you feeling ok naf? seems like youre channeling your inner turk or something
---
XBL and PSN: Feralchicken01
You know why they call it PMS??? because "mad cow disease" was already taken.
#58Rafficus_IIIPosted 12/14/2012 9:19:03 AM
I only bring a second if I'm toting an Acolyte and know we're going to take on Cerberus, so I equip a Hurricane with armor piercing.
---
GT: BigRaff87 | http://i48.tinypic.com/15mbg2t.jpg | The Amazing Spiderman of GameFaqs
#59NafzgerPosted 12/14/2012 10:13:40 AM
Grayfoxr6 posted...
i used to carry 2... alot. actually i used to carry 2 on my destroyer until recently lol then figured "hey a$$ you have the HML you dont need 2"

I was fine until that one guy said if you don't use two guns on an infiltrator or soldier, you're doing it wrong, and then that other guy said someone with a Claymore needs to wait in the hack zone for things to get close because he didn't bring a long range weapon.
---
#60Grayfoxr6Posted 12/14/2012 10:19:45 AM
Nafzger posted...
Grayfoxr6 posted...

I was fine until that one guy said if you don't use two guns on an infiltrator or soldier, you're doing it wrong, and then that other guy said someone with a Claymore needs to wait in the hack zone for things to get close because he didn't bring a long range weapon.

ahh k. had me worried there lol.

i use one wep on my SI cloak,ED or PM, shoot, repeat piece of cake. same with my GI... and a claymore with armor shredder and accuracy you can hit targets at a good range.. its what i used on him untill i lvld up my piranha. i even shotgun with my huntress now...
---
XBL and PSN: Feralchicken01
You know why they call it PMS??? because "mad cow disease" was already taken.